Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big end bearing failure signs?

Rides

Big end bearing failure signs?

Quote Originally Posted by ANDY black s13 View Post
    increase its oil capacity as 3.5 litres is not enough for any turbo engine making 200 ish bhp
    short of taking the engine apart and checking for wear and measuring with a micrometer,
    the only way to 'hear' if the big ends are worn and close to knocking would be to leave it at least 24 hours and if the cold start works
    (it cranks 2/3 times and fires up) get some one to start it from cold with you as close to the sump as poss and during the first few seconds of it running
    you may hear a knock (2/3 seconds possibly) that goes away as the oil gets up to pressure and pumps through the bearings

my now dead CA did this 2/3 seconds of knock when I first got it 10 years ago, I managed to keep it alive at stage 2+ powers for 30k miles
    by simply fitting a kill switch to the fuel pump and the coils and cranking it over from cold till the oil light went out,
    then flick pump and coils on and start it,changed oil & filter every 2k max as well
    Tried this trick for the past couple of days by manually disconnecting coilpacks from loom & removing fuel pump fuse and cranking it like that for a bit, the noise is still there regardless of whether I pre-crank it to build oil pressure or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    [QUOTE=jay1017;6795825]Tried this trick for the past couple of days by manually disconnecting coilpacks from loom & removing fuel pump fuse and cranking it like that for a bit, the noise is still there regardless of whether I pre-crank it to build oil pressure or not.

that may be a sign that it's time to rebuild it asap,catch it early before it turns into when fully up to temp and oil is hot
    hold revs at 2.5/3k revs and hear it knocking,when it first starts knocking you can play with the throttle and make it louder/quieter
    chance of crank journal damage and adding to rebuild costs,

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    A sign of the bearings starting to go is if you drop the engine oil and there is a silver or copper sheen on it.
    if its a fresh build its common to find a "dusting" in the oil, if its many miles with the same dusting then that could be the sign of worn bearings.