Thread: Any auto electrician wiz kids out there?

Rides

Any auto electrician wiz kids out there?

So... to get my Tachometer to work in the E30 with the SR20 you have to make a small circuit board that boosts the 5V Nissan signal to 12V for the BMW tacho....

I have made the board following what this guy did... and using a multimeter It has boosted it from the Nissan ECU wire to 12v..... but, I still have no revs..

Can someone confirm what colour wire it should be out of the 76pin plug (4-3-3-3) as I have used the blue/black line as shown here....

If it is the correct wire then any other suggestions as to how I can get the E30 tacho working?....

Got mapping next Thursday so ideally want this working first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rides
    to confirm, you have the correct wire for the tacho from the nissan side.

is it a straightcam sr20? just thinking the earlier s13 engines/tacho sr/ca use a negative pulse tacho signal (negative-off), whereas the later sr20 as fitted to s14/a use and alternating pulse (negative-5v). We usually have issues getting the tacho to work when fitting a later sr20 into a s13. In this case you need to fit a 33k pull up resistor to the blue/black wire on the ecu connector.

im thinking, if youve got an earlier straight cam and the bmw tacho needs a negative-12v pulse then youll need to fit a pull up resistor to get that. You could quite easily fit that to your pcb.

just a thought, and its something to check

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by norfy View Post
    to confirm, you have the correct wire for the tacho from the nissan side.

is it a straightcam sr20? just thinking the earlier s13 engines/tacho sr/ca use a negative pulse tacho signal (negative-off), whereas the later sr20 as fitted to s14/a use and alternating pulse (negative-5v). We usually have issues getting the tacho to work when fitting a later sr20 into a s13. In this case you need to fit a 33k pull up resistor to the blue/black wire on the ecu connector.

im thinking, if youve got an earlier straight cam and the bmw tacho needs a negative-12v pulse then youll need to fit a pull up resistor to get that. You could quite easily fit that to your pcb.

just a thought, and its something to check

Mines a S14 blacktop (vvt)

I was reading something online that when a conversion is done for the S13 to SR20DET you need to use a wire from the CAS for the tachometer to work.

Might just check the board iv made to make sure the resistors haven't burnt out.

Rides
    I can't remember it exactly as it was a yr ago, but i believe this is the scheme I used for wiring in my apexi RSM which also requires the tach signal. I also have a zenki, so 4-3-3-3. Judging by the pictures, you seem to have the correct wire

Rides
    Hi,

i've tried it myself (no internet wisdom). using 7.5Kohm resistor pullup to switched 12V makes the signal a clean 0to12v square pulse. I got it on scope view but not on this computer.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyJ View Post
    Hi,

i've tried it myself (no internet wisdom). using 7.5Kohm resistor pullup to switched 12V makes the signal a clean 0to12v square pulse. I got it on scope view but not on this computer.

Tried a couple different things today but still no joy, getting frustrated now

Rides
    I had a similar problem when doing a conversion on S14 uk spec Sr20det vvt. I used a different wire off the ecu loom. Il check it for you and post it . But top of my head it was the red and yellow wire. But il have to confirm

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by s12_drift View Post
    I had a similar problem when doing a conversion on S14 uk spec Sr20det vvt. I used a different wire off the ecu loom. Il check it for you and post it . But top of my head it was the red and yellow wire. But il have to confirm
    Great stuff if you can mate appreciate it!