Thread: SR20DET Oil Pressure & Oil Temperatures

Rides

SR20DET Oil Pressure & Oil Temperatures

I took my car out on Saturday , noticed on my aem guage oil temp was at 220f just cruising not driving hard and oil pressure was at 40 and below PSI.

I don't use the car often and usually the figures are like 180f cruising and oil pressure around 70 PSI , but I know that's when the weather has been colder and I appreciate when engine is cold PSI in higher.

I just immediately thought I had an issue when I seen these running temps but doing research this isn't anything out the norm.

What temps does everyone else usually get ?

Was considering fitting an oil cooler but until now ive never really seen those temps ! Granted I cover less than a 1000 miles a year !

Rides
    both sound about right for a warm engine. 120ish C = 240ish F max temp you have a bit more headroom with fully synth oil. If you thinking of a cooler - get a thermostatically controlled one otherwise you could damage your engine with low winter oil temps.
    On track on a hot day was the only time I would keep an eye on mine and it was never an issue with a stage 2a on track.

pressure will vary on what the engine is doing. tickover will certainly be below 40psi, can't remember what mine was on cruising, under acceleration then circa 100psi

Rides
    Pressure will depend on oil visc, generally though cold idle should be around 60psi, dropping to around 20psi when upto temp, at 3k you are looking at 100psi cold and 40-50psi when upto temp.

Temps, you need the oil to be around 80-100C to work properly and people tend to over cool thinking its better for the engine. A good synth oil will handle 120-140C all day long.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Well alarm bells were ringing because the it I normally see 70 -80 psi and my oil running temp is normally 180f and about 210f when driven hard.

I had taken turbo off last month as my turbo gasket was leaking so I took the car out once finished to check it was boosting ok , 1.3 bar . which it was .

I went to the petrol station to get fuel and noticed oil pressure was sitting at 40 psi and the oil temp was climbing up , it got to 230F by the time I got home . was about 10 mins driving so to me this is not normal !

I fired it up lastnight , 2 PSI on my AEM Guage so ive turned it off !

where to start now as to me I have a serious problem !!

Ive noticed fuel on top of my fuel filter and fuel line is damp !

Where to start with checks ???

Rides
    Oil light has come on so its safe to say its time for a rebuild !