Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gtx3076r v gtx3071r

Rides

Gtx3076r v gtx3071r

I currently have fitted a GARRETT GTX3076R to my sr20, its brand new and I am ready for mapping... but my mapper has told me its a shit turbo and I should of gone with a GTX3071R.. he says its a much better turbo, spools faster etc..

whats peoples thoughts?

If I need to change it I will but its annoying as the 3076R is brand new and not even been run yet

Rides
    Who said the GTX3076R is shit?

I have a GTX3071R on my SR22 and I'm pretty happy with it at 520+hp

Rides
    Greg @ protuner said it would be laggy and shit.....

I have just got sat on my desk a GTX3071r im just undecided on what to actually do, its either change it all for a 71 or keep what iv got.

Rides
    The 76mm wheel is more efficient than the 71mm, I find it hard to believe it would be shit unless it's got the wrong turbine housing and wastegate for the engine size it's going on.

What sort of performance are you after?
    Last edited by zeppelin101; 19-07-2017 at 09:27.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin101 View Post
    The 76mm wheel is more efficient than the 71mm, I find it hard to believe it would be shit it's got the wrong turbine housing and wastegate for the engine size it's going on.

What sort of performance are you after?
    Ideally I want 450 -550, the entire setup is in a bmw E30 so that's more than enough... I was just abit gutted really to hear him say it was shit when I spent £1000 buying the turbo... and as a ongoing project with a family iv saved what I could lol...

Rides
    The larger compressor wheel will hurt spool a little bit, but the turbine wheel size (it has 3x the inertia of the compressor so much more effort needed to get it going) and housing is far more critical in that respect in conjunction with cams etc (longer exhaust makes things worse for example).

You've got the right turbo for the top end of that, I think a 71mm is about on its knees for 550.

Rides
    The larger compressor wheel will hurt spool a little bit, but the turbine wheel size (it has 3x the inertia of the compressor so much more effort needed to get it going) and housing is far more critical in that respect in conjunction with cams etc (longer exhaust makes things worse for example).

You've got the right turbo for the top end of that, I think a 71mm is about on its knees for 550.
    well that's made me happier.... :-)

iv gone with a 0.63 exhaust housing and at the moment standard cams... iv been looking at 264 hks or 272 brian crower..

Rides
    I'd probably stick with the shorter duration cams. You'll need more boost to make power up top but you'll get up on the turbo faster.

Ideally what you need is boost control with RPM so you can add boost up top to get around the cam hurting volumetric efficiency. The smaller housing will probably mean you can't go for crazy levels of boost and I suspect looking at the cam specs for the brian crower 264s (HKS info sadly lacking on a quick scavenge hunt) you'll want to retard the intake a little for power since it opens quite early and you're on the smaller turbine housing.

Rides
    I'd probably stick with the shorter duration cams. You'll need more boost to make power up top but you'll get up on the turbo faster.

Ideally what you need is boost control with RPM so you can add boost up top to get around the cam hurting volumetric efficiency. The smaller housing will probably mean you can't go for crazy levels of boost and I suspect looking at the cam specs for the brian crower 264s (HKS info sadly lacking on a quick scavenge hunt) you'll want to retard the intake a little for power since it opens quite early and you're on the smaller turbine housing.
    great stuff thank you mate, what size wastegate would you say id need? I have a turbosmart 38mm but was told to go bigger, is that the case?

Rides
    Probably want to go larger, but it sort of depends on what cams you want to run. More boost pressure for the same mass flow = less wastegate required. The turbine housing is on the smaller side so you'll need to bypass a lot of gas from the wheel.

Rides
    Probably want to go larger, but it sort of depends on what cams you want to run. More boost pressure for the same mass flow = less wastegate required. The turbine housing is on the smaller side so you'll need to bypass a lot of gas from the wheel.
    if I was to go with say 264 cams what housing should I go with? I believe the one above mine is .72? iv got a 3" straight through system with a back box, and a screamer that comes off the wastegate.

Im new to this sort of tuning so its all learning for me at the moment

Rides
    id stay on the smaller rear housing. the larger one would just make it come on boost even later.
    id be tempted to follow what zep says and stick with the smaller cams to help it make power lower down the rev range.

I guess it depends what you want and how you want it to make power.

why not speak to greg and see what he recommends. he would have a tried and tested path for you to follow.

Rides
    well he suggested to change turbo, change wastegate & injectors and ECU

I have sard 850cc injectors, Garrett gtx3076r turbo, turbosmart wastegate 38mm (14psi) & a Link G4 ecu?... I though my choices were good lol.

what size spring should I have in the wastegate? 14psi okay?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_evans View Post
    well he suggested to change turbo, change wastegate & injectors and ECU

I have sard 850cc injectors, Garrett gtx3076r turbo, turbosmart wastegate 38mm (14psi) & a Link G4 ecu?... I though my choices were good lol.

what size spring should I have in the wastegate? 14psi okay?
    Turbo is way too big for those injectors and you'll get better boost control with a larger wastegate.

Gen2 GTX3071R is where I'd probably be looking.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    Turbo is way too big for those injectors and you'll get better boost control with a larger wastegate.

Gen2 GTX3071R is where I'd probably be looking.
    So gtx3071r with 850cc injectors and what sized wastegate?

Rides
    I run a Tial 44mm wastegate, GTX3071R and 1000cc injectors.

I previously had the Sard 850s, but had to swap them out as they were maxed out at 485hp

Rides
    im aiming for 450hp really if im honest... be nice to be over 500 but realistically in a car that weighs next to nothing it would be silly..

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_evans View Post
    be nice to be over 500 but realistically in a car that weighs next to nothing it would be silly..
    You say that now... but you'll get used to it and be aiming for more in no time I expect

Rides
    Just getting it driving is my main priority for now haha

Rides
    okay so change the turbo to a GTX3071R with the 0.62 T/housing & larger wastegate with 850cc injectors... will that be okay for what I am after?

If I did stick with a 38mm wastegate and just change the turbo what power could I expect going on what you've read?