Thread: Android "oem" replacement head units

Rides

Android "oem" replacement head units

So..... Has anyone ever used one?

Any recommendations or ones to avoid?

The touareg has a standard vw headunit at the min and I think to make it work with ipod and Bluetooth to my phone would cost as much as replacing it with one of these
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122357990486

But are they going to work plug and play with speakers etc?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Rides
    They work alrite, but if you've got lots of integration like steering wheel buttons and a separate dash screen those probably won't work.
    I have an older unit, it's done everything I've asked so far. The in-built amp isn't that great, but there are outputs for a separate sub which would sort it out.

FWIW my mate just took his Ibiza to a proper stereo shop to have a more off the shelf type install done, £600 later and it still doesn't do all the stuff these Android units can do

The model you linked is abit old now, this one is abit newer and probably a better buy

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Octa-Core-...IAAOSwhQhY0jdY
    Last edited by R3K1355; 18-07-2017 at 10:54.

Rides
    I recently got an Xcarlink unit installed in my 04 Accord. Was 220 euro installed and adds full Bluetooth connectivity for phone & music streaming, and uses the OEM stereo & steering wheel controls too. Would highly recommend it if you want to retain the OEM equipment in the dash.

This one ... http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.ph...5&cat=2&page=1

Rides
    so the Xcarlink plugs in to replace the 6 disc changer in the boot?

as for android unit - I'm not after mass intergration, just the vol buttons on the steering wheel to work and wouldn't use any other screens than the one on the unit.

is the sound that bad? I'm assuming because it has multi speakers in all the doors that the Touareg uses a amplified system already, like Volvo/Land rover etc? I assume from the googling I have done that if they have a separate amplifier the unit will just plug and play with it?

trying to find a unbiased review is pretty hard tho

Rides
    My changer had an additional input so I was able to keep i t as well as the xcarlink. Everything still works as before but now I have Bluetooth connectivity.

The volume up and down buttons on the steering wheel double up to answer and hang up calls as they come in, and the channel change button on the wheel skips tracks on Spotify when playing tunes.

The only thing it won't do in mine is display the song or caller into on the head unit as its too old (2004) but a newer car should.

Rides
    I will take a look - cheers

mine is only a 2005 aswell so maybe wont do the track and folder display, but it is the VW setereo with the massive dot matrix display

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DLowe View Post
    as for android unit - I'm not after mass intergration, just the vol buttons on the steering wheel to work and wouldn't use any other screens than the one on the unit.

is the sound that bad? I'm assuming because it has multi speakers in all the doors that the Touareg uses a amplified system already, like Volvo/Land rover etc? I assume from the googling I have done that if they have a separate amplifier the unit will just plug and play with it?

trying to find a unbiased review is pretty hard tho
    It's not bad bad, but it's not quite as good as the Alpine unit it replaced. Mine is only running in a knackered old Ibiza though.
    Getting the steering wheel buttons to work should't be an issue, it's not worse than any other aftermarket headunit in that respect.

I really like mine, does pretty much anything you could want and has loads of customisation options like any android unit.
    Only thing that gets annoying is trying to use a touch screen device when your car has stiff suspension!

I wouldn't go back to using a normal type of headunit now, just feels like the stone age in comparison.