Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How hard is it to plaster?

Rides

How hard is it to plaster?

So I bought my first house over a month ago. We've been busy fixing it up. My boyfriend has started plastering for me however I would like to help him finish it. Is it difficult to plaster? Or should I let my boyfriend do it by himself?

Rides
    Just watched a YouTube video. It looks like something I can't do.

Rides
    Feckin' difficult is the answer.

The biggest part of the difficulty is that you need to be good and fast as the damn stuff goes off in about 15 minutes.

There is a reason why they charge per room and bring a mate to do the mixing.

Watching a time-served plasterer is a bit like watching MotoGP. You realise you are NEVER, EVER going to be able to do anything better than wobble round a race track (relatively speaking). lol

Rides
    I was very wary about plastering when I first started doing up houses, and used to pay for professionals,

but recently started to have a go myself and its not so bad, after 3-4 practices I git as good as the jobs I was paying for and can now do a very reasonable job myself.

the key is to not over work the plaster - it will look cack when you put it on, get it as level as you can in 1 hit and then leave it, go make a brew.

come back and smooth it off a little, don't go nuts - just 2-3 passes and it will still have ripples in, drink the brew

come back and give it another smoothing 2-3 passes with the trowel as flat to the wall as you can - its going to look reasonable. - browse the internet for 20 mins...

come back and wet your trowel, I use a bucket and paint brush, get it nice and wet and press hard onto the by now pretty solid plaster, this will polish it up smooth and finish it level and crisp.

it takes some practice - first thing I did was a 6x6 ceiling and it was a bit wobbly in lamp light, but kept going and now my built in wardrobes are like a big solid sheet of MDF smooth and seamless

Rides
    Its easy to stick some plaster on a wall, its hard to make it look good....

Get someone in to do it.. unless you mean getting plastered ... which is something i excel at.

Rides
    Took my ol' man about 20 years to become a master plasterer. I didn't have the patience to follow in his footsteps.

Small patches of repair, not so bad. Skimming whole rooms - if you want it to look good then get a pro.

Rides
    I'll probably leave it then. My boyfriend can do it but he gets bored so I thought I'd help him. I'd probably mess it up though and he'd have to do it again.

Rides
    Ive done it in the past and practice and speed makes perfect, Difficult tho, especially ceilings, If its your first time I wouldnt do it at this time of year as too hot. U wouldnt bbelieve how quickly it goes off when its this hot, Autumn perfect for a beginner with the central heating off, And only mix up a small quantity at a time,

Rides
    It's not too bad.
    Did a room with no experience and turned out ok. If you don't get a good finish just give it a few days and sand it to a decent finish.

Rides
    A table top finish is simply not possible for an amateur. If you're only looking for a wattle and daub finish then maybe. If you want to stop him getting bored offer to do the mixing and strip down to do it. He won't get bored then but his plastering skills might suffer a bit. Lol

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Rides
    the guy that does my decorating will plaster, pva, primer paint and then spot fix mistakes with a paint/plaster mix. He is a decorator though and I wouldn't say his plastering skills are superb but the second time round he gets a good finish.

Rides
    If he's a plasterer let him finish it himself. Jonny is right getting a good finish for an amateur just ain't gonna happen.

It's only like £30 for a wall so why not pay a plasterer then claim you did it yourself ha.

Rides
    You can help by mixing, passing stuff, and doing add jobs while he's plastering. That second pair of eyes and hands often makes a job go much faster - you don't have to be plastering to save time and make things go better

I am an expert at passing tools, mixing resin or whatever is needed for the task at hand - even just tidying and stuff so things are always to hand as needed saves much time

Rides
    Haha JW, can't strip down as got no curtains at the minute lol. Mcleansc he's not a plasterer, he was taught to do it I whilst he should have been at school but he was too naughty lol. He's done a good job of the room he's done so far. There is a small patch of the ceiling I might try though.

Rides
    I built my place, from the ground to finished and moved in. Between me and my mate we covered all trades....except the plastering. No way I have the patience to do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Lol there is no way anyone will be getting a decent finish after 2 or 3 attempts. Maybe smooth but no way flat (this will be highlighted in the correct light amd only after paint and will look horrendous!)

I have been doing plastering for 10yrs now and it took a good 2-3yrs before getting a finish i was happy with!

A proper plaster job will have a glazed like finish and this takes some serious prarctice afterall whats the point plastering if you have to then fill afterwards? A properly skimmed room will require a light key with a bit of sandpaper at most amd no filling!

If you want to have a crack at it i will advise trying on plasterboard 1st, and if you do start bottom pulling to top then sides in then ceiling down but try not to crossover too much (this will create bumps/high points) and the key is in the trowel angle.

Rides
    Also don't even attempt a ceiling till you can skim a room!!!

Rides
    It's OK, he's done that part of the ceiling today. Any job that needs doing in the house is so boring for me. Just done a bit of painting today and I can't understand why anyone would want to be a painter and decorater.

Rides
    Painting makes me irrationally angry. Especially glossing. I decided the next time I need painting done I'm paying someone and going to the pub to spend my time wisely....

Rides
    I like that plan.