Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How hard is it to plaster?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by mcleansc View Post
    Painting makes me irrationally angry. Especially glossing. I decided the next time I need painting done I'm paying someone and going to the pub to spend my time wisely....
    Its funny coz I have little patience with most things but I do enjoy a bit of glossing. I think its the rhythm of it. I find it soothing.

Rides
    i have a city and guilds in plastering but because im not doing it very regularly i only ever do small jobs for friends and family because it would still take me years to be fully confident in doing bigger jobs.

To be helpful to him, mixing and cleaning tools/buckets etc will really help as once you start you cant stop, if the plaster starts going off while hes putting it on the wall then he will be chasing it to get a good finish

Rides
    That would be a good idea but he's always plastering while I'm at work. Been glossing today. It's much easier than painting walls. Trouble is, you can't get it off your hands that's for sure. Can't use thinners either as got dermatitis. I've got a sticky steering wheel now too haha.

Rides
    DiY is for folk who have several orders of magnitude more patience than me, i can stand it.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    That would be a good idea but he's always plastering while I'm at work. Been glossing today. It's much easier than painting walls. Trouble is, you can't get it off your hands that's for sure. Can't use thinners either as got dermatitis. I've got a sticky steering wheel now too haha.
    Mechanics gloves. Clean ones obviously. They're breathable but keep the paint off your hands. Also, be careful of the angle you hold the brush. It will make a huge difference to how much paint makes its way onto the handle.

To clean your hands, try swarfega if you haven't already. Don't whatever you do use thinners. It absorbs into the skin really quickly.

The less said about your sticky steering wheel the better. lol

Rides
    I made my own lathes and then plastered over them when moving a doorway in my house (I've moved from cars to DIY these days ) . It is actually hard to see where I've done it, but I had to sand the hell out of it
    I'm using lime plaster for a patch on another wall - that's not looking quite so good...

Oh and Clean Spirit is OK-ish at getting paint off hands and brushes as a healthier alternative to white spirit.
    Last edited by John Bennett; 28-07-2017 at 21:23.