Thread: Advice about rust

Rides

Advice about rust

Hi all.

I am hopeful someone will ease my worries!

I used to have a s13 but sold it years ago. In recent times had a r33 gtr but stupidly sold it. Now the value has rocketed and they aren't affordable anymore! I was offered a cheapish 200sx s14 and bought it and I know it was silly not to view but it was a good price so was willing to transport it up to me. Problems are!

I noticed after I paid there was a small amount of online mot history prior to being put off the road 9 years ago!

Here goes:

Nearside Rear Brake pipe excessively corroded (3.6.B.2c)
    Offside Rear Brake pipe excessively corroded (3.6.B.2c)
    Nearside Front Brake pipe excessively corroded (3.6.B.2c)
    Offside Front Brake pipe excessively corroded (3.6.B.2c)
    Nearside Rear Subframe mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded (2.4.A.3)
    Offside Rear Subframe mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded (2.4.A.3)
    Nearside Seat belt anchorage prescribed area is excessively corroded (5.2.6)
    Offside Seat belt anchorage prescribed area is excessively corroded (5.2.6)

Are these common or should I not proceed in a fixing plan?

Rides
    You own an s body, best get a welder and some sheet metal or befriend a friendly car restorer/panel fabricator/monkey with a wrench/accident repair centre etc
    It'll be rusty, it will be worse than it looks, it will have rusted from inside out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    And that was 9 years ago. It's either been fixed or you need to get on your knees with a screw driver.

Oh, these are common problems. Pipes are easy, steel panels is more tricky.

Rides
    The car was never mot again. It was put off the road and stored in a lock up.
    I hope it's all fixable as it will make a lovely low milage car.

Rides
    ive spent 2 years fixing rust on mine.cut both front floor pans,sills,pieces of both rear arches,boot floor etc but stripped the entire underneath back to metal and sorted it properly.hopefully ill never have to look at it again.

Rides
    rust is a like a disease, you really need to chop it out and treat the areas that have been affected. i feel that youll never fully remove rust with all the tight seams and multi layer panels its very difficult. i would want to strip the car back to a bare shell and go over the whole thing really. you could even go so far as to have the whole shell acid dipped and then repair the damaged areas but thats a big job

Rides
    Brake pipes are easy as anything.

The rotton rear sills are quite a bit of work. I'm currently doing mine now and they rot from the inside out. Have you got any pictures of yours, then we can advise.

Rides
    Will have in due course. Cars not reached me yet. I am only going off what I read on the online mot fail from when it was put into storage. Pics of bodywork look good and I can't see any sill rust on outer part of car. I am just hoping its not to bad.

Rides
    rear end of the sill/ subframe mount is common, seat belts mounts means its gone a long way forward so your looking at inner and outer sill repairs. If the car was cheap enough worth doing but can get expensive if your relying on someone else to do it

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by danielonline View Post
    Will have in due course. Cars not reached me yet. I am only going off what I read on the online mot fail from when it was put into storage. Pics of bodywork look good and I can't see any sill rust on outer part of car. I am just hoping its not to bad.
    This album on facebook will give you a great idea of where the rust is on these.

https://www.facebook.com/steve.richa...7804825&type=3

Rides
    Car was a grand. 80k on the clock

Rides
    Bargain! Even if you spent money getting it professionally fixed you still have a good deal imo.

When I did mine there was rust hidden under the underseal so even those who think they have a rust free example are deluding themselves!

Rides
    Glad to hear that. I thought it would be a win situation even if it was really bad as the value seem to go up and up.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by danielonline View Post
    Car was a grand. 80k on the clock
    Yup, that's a bargain price

Rides
    It's threads like these that make me appreciate mine and stop me thinking about selling it, 56k and dry stored for the last 7 years, no rust on the body at all.

Good luck on the job, it may turn out to be quite a bit of work but for a grand you can't complain :P once you get to a stage where you want it treated, these people have good reviews - http://www.rust.co.uk/rustproofing-price-list/p512929

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen.h View Post
    It's threads like these that make me appreciate mine and stop me thinking about selling it, 56k and dry stored for the last 7 years, no rust on the body at all.

http://www.rust.co.uk/rustproofing-price-list/p512929
    Pics

Rides
    I spent five months solid of my life welding, cutting, prepping mine. Would I do it all again? Yes. Because I'm stupid. S-chassis life. To buy one you have to weld it.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by adammay View Post
    I spent five months solid of my life welding, cutting, prepping mine. Would I do it all again? Yes. Because I'm stupid. S-chassis life. To buy one you have to weld it.

Try 2.5 years on a driveway Havent driven the car since 2014. Took off the front and rear bumpers to "tidy" and just got carried away

Rides
    The bodys dont rust unless there has been shoddy repairs done but the underside rots like fook If it was that bad 9 years ago its going to need a lot of work probably
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.