Thread: Apex Performance type 2 intercooler rework

Rides

Apex Performance type 2 intercooler rework

Evening all.

Ive had another hair-brain idea where I’d like to shorten the pipe work length on my type 2 intercooler to hopefully aid lag & performance.

I have the cooler where the pipe work doubles back over to the NSF wing and then back above the radiator over the the battery side. Lots of pipe work all so i could keep a full sized battery.

Now I’m up for a challenge so a fancy re working and drastically shortening my pipe work.

I suppose I’m looking to know if its a good idea. And I don’t mean the responses like ‘just buy a different one with shorter pipes, cut your bat tray and be done with it’.

I’m wanting to understand more so if by shortening pipework, I’m reducing efficiency or performance, or if by shortening it, there is less volume to fill so lag will be less. It’s more the sciences stuff I’m interested in hearing about. Am i making sense ???

Go !!

Thanks Ben

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Most on here will say that the shorter pipework helps, have seen some tuners say it makes no difference. I notice no real difference swapping from the type 2 to the type 1 if I'm honest.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    It should benificial in all ways to have shorter pipework but I don’t think it will be mega noticble but will change the sound of the BOV or pigeon as there will be less volume being vented

Just remember every pipe end needs to be bead rolled or it will pop off under boost

Rides
    Hmmm, okay. Thanks for your reply !

Rides
    You have to imagine that when the engine is unboosted at 3000rpm it's flowing something like 45 litres of air per second into the engine. It's moving quickly in a 2" pipe! There is an interaction between volume and lag but it's fairly small at the sorts of RPMs an SR is getting into its stride. What's probably more important is the pressure drop between the compressor and the manifold. The core is usually the biggest culprit of pressure loss but pipework with tight bends will cause some pressure loss too.