Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a genuine 'Kids Heart' Sileighty. Where do I begin?

Rides

Looking for a genuine 'Kids Heart' Sileighty. Where do I begin?

I'm currently helping someone choose an iconic car as a long term investment, and one of the candidates i've suggested is a stock, genuine 'kids heart' built Sileighty.

The problem is, in 8 years of scouring the Japanese sale sites and auctions for various cars, I have never seen one come up for sale. When I asked JM Imports and Torque GT, they both sounded as if they hadn't heard of them, never mind seen one.

I've also scoured the internet, and save for a few pictures of a white demo car, I am yet to see any evidence that these things even exist. Can anyone help?

Rides
    Don't get me wrong, I like s-body's as much as most here but as an investment I don't think its a wise move. If you like sil80's just buy a 180 that's been converted. You will be lucky to break even with restoration/running costs vs final sale. They just don’t have the cult following like old fords. 200sx value have came up just because of drifting, once that scene has moved on there wont be a driver.

Im going to sound old but even with man maths it doesn't add up.
    There are far easier ways to see returns over 3-5years on £10-20k investment than to take a punt on a random 90's mid range tourer. There's a few stable 5-6% PA yield dividend stocks that you can park the money in and see £500-1000 yearly.

Rides
    As a car collector friend of mine always says, if you want to make money then stay away from old old cars.....

Rides
    Mad car but again probably not a great choice for an investment when it's not much more to get an r32 gtr or an evo which will gain considerably more in value over the years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    A stock r32gtr or r34gtr will be a more financially viable money maker over the next few years

Rides
    How exactly do you expect to prove that any given car is a Kids Heart sil80??

Secondly, how much do you actually think that would make it worth?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MEL View Post
    A stock r32gtr or r34gtr will be a more financially viable money maker over the next few years
    Too late, these have already peaked IMO. Same as the Honda NSX.

Rides
    Very very rare, only 500 were recorded as being produced by Kid's Heart. As far as I know though even the "genuine" or "official" Kid's Heart built cars were not endorsed or supported by Nissan in any way, so they are not a proper Nissan special edition car. Because of this they will only have cult value to someone who has a hard on for 90's JDM oddities.

A better investment would be a Nissan Nismo 270r. This was a special edition S14 built in house by Nismo. Only 50 were made with lots of Nismo goodies to give 270bhp, with unique aero & interior bits etc. They pop up on Japanese auction sites from time to time.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by markcro View Post
    As a car collector friend of mine always says, if you want to make money then stay away from old old cars.....
    I would personally argue the opposite, assuming that you buy the correct cars in the first place.

A 200sx will never make massive amounts of money as an investment. There are too many and they are too plain for an investor.

Get yourself a nicely restored Datsun 240z on the other hand... I would expect to see a significant gain over a 5+ year period.

All speculation and personal opinion of course

Rides
    As time goes by and there are less and less the values creep up.

Look at S13s. I remember getting my first one for about £1k. You'll struggle to get a rolling shell for that now-a-days.

14s will go the same way, it's not like they were as popular as E36 BMWs for instance when they were released and the values of both reflect that.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewaysfun View Post
    I would personally argue the opposite, assuming that you buy the correct cars in the first place.

A 200sx will never make massive amounts of money as an investment. There are too many and they are too plain for an investor.

Get yourself a nicely restored Datsun 240z on the other hand... I would expect to see a significant gain over a 5+ year period.

All speculation and personal opinion of course
    A UK S13 sold for 9K earlier this year.

Go have a look and try to find a shitter for £3K.

Stocks are running out and nice ones are making sensible money again.

Not saying a KH Sil80 is going to be a good investment, just that 200 prices are undeniably on the up.

Personally, I think they'lll level off within 2 years and just become practical classics.

Rides
    Apparently "real" sil80's were only made in 1998 and they had sileighty written in the quarter glass rather than 180Sx. That should help you determine whether it's a "fake" or not.

Rides
    IMO this would have been a good idea 15 years ago,maybe 10 years when they were really cheap and at the lowest price and not importable into the USA
    buy one now (any old car tbh) when they have peaked and I don't see any money in it on a quick flip or keep it 5 years,maybe it will creep up over 5 years
    it is just a mass produced rusty old datsun to a non petrolhead so a bit of a small market if plan is just to make money on it,
    an old jag/ferrari/merc etc will appeal to a much wider audience just need to get the car when dipped and sell when they go up

Rides
    Thanks for the replies, although I wasn't really looking for opinions on them as an investment.

Does no one else find it odd that there is not a shred of evidence that these 500 cars exist? Given their Gran Turismo fame, they are fairly well known, yet seems to be almost no solid information around on even one of these cars.

I'm friends with some Japanese guys on Facebook through my Supra, I think I'll ask them.

Rides
    well in 1st post you did say looking for a long term investment,, so I went on that and current prices of S bodies
    and lack of cars is not a surprise when 400/500 were made and 8 years of searching has yielded nothing
    this dude often comes up as a contact in japan for sourcing parts and rare cars and other japan contacts he could put you on to
    https://jessestreeter.com/ordering-parts/

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by j_s14a View Post
    Thanks for the replies, although I wasn't really looking for opinions on them as an investment.

Does no one else find it odd that there is not a shred of evidence that these 500 cars exist? Given their Gran Turismo fame, they are fairly well known, yet seems to be almost no solid information around on even one of these cars.

I'm friends with some Japanese guys on Facebook through my Supra, I think I'll ask them.
    There's loads of oddity Japanese cars that sold in small numbers that don't have much information about. They are the sort of thing that is snapped up and stashed away, even if they aren't officially endorsed by the manufacturer.

Rides
    It's not odd, they weren't endorsed by nissan so in reality they are just 180's.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDY black s13 View Post
    well in 1st post you did say looking for a long term investment
    I am, but I have already deliberated about the pro's and con's, and have decided that I think it is worth a shot. This thread was never about validating my opinion on its worthiness as an investment, it's finding a car that I need help with

Rides
    fair do's,email jesse what you are looking for,ask for more contacts etc and happy hunting