Thread: Scrap or Fix

Rides

Scrap or Fix

Hi,

Apologies for not knowing what the name of this piece is called, but it connects the subframe to the side rail and looks like a boomerang shaped piece of metal.

Well, the rail where this piece of metal connects to is rusted right through and I wonder if it is:

A) Structural
    B) Repairable (by a professional of course)
    C) Simply not worth it and I should scrap the car.

Does anyone have any experience and or thoughts?

Thanks,
    Graham.

Rides
    Get a second hand one off here and if that's all, easy fix.

Sent from my VFD 600 using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by corfublue View Post
    Get a second hand one off here and if that's all, easy fix.

Sorry, I should have explained better. The sills are rusting where the boomerang shape piece joins everything up.

Rides
    If its bad then try and loosen the bolt to the body mounting near the sill,if it crumbles,as mine did then its time to dig a bit deeper,mine was totally shot,and had to be cut and welded quite severely,if you have fabrication skills and a degree in upside down cutting and welding carry on.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by corfublue View Post
    If its bad then try and loosen the bolt to the body mounting near the sill,if it crumbles,as mine did then its time to dig a bit deeper,mine was totally shot,and had to be cut and welded quite severely,if you have fabrication skills and a degree in upside down cutting and welding carry on.

Thanks Corfublue, I'll get some photos uploaded and go from there.

Rides
    Sounds like the normal rot. If it's gone there then the rear sills probably need doing too. Either rebuild it yourself or spend around 2k having it done properly.

Have a look at my project thread if you need some pointers and can use or willing to learn to use a mig

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazySx View Post
    Sounds like the normal rot. If it's gone there then the rear sills probably need doing too. Either rebuild it yourself or spend around 2k having it done properly.

Have a look at my project thread if you need some pointers and can use or willing to learn to use a mig

Looks like I'm buying a welder and learning to weld. Scary!!

BTW, mine is rusted way worse than yours. Mine doesn't have holes. There is only hole!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray View Post
    Looks like I'm buying a welder and learning to weld. Scary!!

BTW, mine is rusted way worse than yours. Mine doesn't have holes. There is only hole!
    Good lad! Can't scrap it man. They are a dying breed now. So happy I saved mine.

Rides
    anything is savable if you're willing to put the time and or money into it.

Rides
    before you get stuck in check the whole shell to see what you are really up against,good if it is savable as too many get weighed in

Rides
    If I'm not mistaken you're on about the same area I had rust in, check out my photos in this thread http://sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?592657.

I ended up paying £400 to have the middle sill bit and the two sides near the subframe mounting area done. What's pictured in the first 3 photos.

Rides
    400 is too cheap. If it's a patch job that's fine. I got quoted 250 for someone to cut off the outer sills and weld in the new ones. I wanted it done properly as in all the cancer cut out, I got quoted 2k+ for that so bought a welder and learned to weld.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Matas View Post
    If I'm not mistaken you're on about the same area I had rust in, check out my photos in this thread http://sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?592657.

I ended up paying £400 to have the middle sill bit and the two sides near the subframe mounting area done. What's pictured in the first 3 photos.
    Mine is very much worse than that.
    Sadly it might be the end of the car. I can't jack it up from the rear using the rear mounting point. The only place left is the diff and the subframe will have to be removed to start any kind of repair work.

At the moment I can't see how this can be fixed. I might ring Car SOS!!!

Rides
    You can save her !! Had mine for 10 years now , due to second kid I got a Ford galaxy and took the s14a off the road for a 2year restoration ,I've been a chef for 20 years and I can tell you that if your prepared to get dirty , fixing it yourself is rewarding , using a mig is like piping icing on a cake lol 😂😂

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Rides
    I've heard mig welding is too hot for car restoration.

Also, I have random time off and no garage to work in. If I had a garage to work in under cover it would be less of an issue.

Rides
    mig welding is the welding of choice for welding up old cars mate.
    ive a mig, tig and arc set at home and the mig would be the one wheeled out for patching up an old car.

just do what every over cnut does and put some massive spastic wheels/some crappy stickers and sills full of filler/news paper and sell it as a drift car.