Thread: Both Electric Windows Have Packed Up - 180SX

Rides

Both Electric Windows Have Packed Up - 180SX

Hey guys

Both electric windows have stop working all together. I've never had any problems with them before. They do not move in either direction at all. There is also no "click" of a relay that most windows have when pressing the switches.

It's a 1994 180sx.

Any ideas where to start please?

Because both have gone at the same time, I guess that rules out regulator problems.

Does anyone know where the fuses are for the windows? I can't find them anywhere obvious.

Thanks a lot.

Rides
    If it is the same as a 200SX S13 then the power for the passenger side goes through the drivers controls I think, as when you unplug that the passenger side doesn't work. So I would start there, make sure it is well attached, maybe check continuity with ground and 12v at the plug to work out if it is up or downstream of the switch. Someone on here must have a pinout!

Rides
    Cheers Monk!

I am making progress now.

I've located the fuse in the engine bay box and it is fine.

I've also downloaded the pin-out (yes same as S13)

I have ruled out the Window Power Amplifier.

I am now 99% sure that the problem lies in the Driver side switch unit, which is pretty much what you said.

I'm gunna start analysis on the switch unit now to find the exact problem, I'll keep the thread updated.

Rides
    By God's grace I found a driver side switch that I must have kept from an old car. I fitted it and Boom, windows working perfectly.

At some point we'll have to learn how to actually repair these switches, as we'll run out of working ones soon.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jont View Post
    we'll run out of working ones soon.
    This.

A number of parts now starting to be on the unobtanium and danger list.

Been through this experience 25 years ago with my original X1/9.

Build up a safety bank of such spares as and when they come up at a reasonable price, even if you don't need them now, as you simply won't be able to find them when you do need them. Assuming that is that you are committed to keeping the car for the long term. Me, I intend to be buried in my S13... or at least to be carried to the crem in the back ! Take out the rear seats, tie down the hatch with a bungee rope and then close the coffin with cable ties... sorted.

In passing that owners club was / is very good at getting much needed bits remanufactured and holding the surplus for future members need. Has the SXOC ever thought of venturing in to that sort of territory I wonder ?
    Last edited by Rochester; 19-06-2017 at 14:24.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochester View Post
    In passing that owners club was / is very good at getting much needed bits remanufactured and holding the surplus for future members need. Has the SXOC ever thought of venturing in to that sort of territory I wonder ?
    I suggested as much about 10 years ago but they were having none of it as they didn't want to upset valued traders.

Rides
    Ditto

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Rides
    has anyone actually pulled apart the window switch units and worked out which component is failing? gotta be able to repair them