Thread: Clutch pedal

Rides

Clutch pedal

This is probably gonna end up a bit long winded but I'm getting fed up with my car at the moment and this isn't helping so if you could please try and read through, it would be appreciated.

About a month ago I was driving and suddenly ended up with half a clutch pedal and I could barely get into any gear, I managed to limp it back to where I work (a garage) and the next day when I went to drive it into the workshop the clutch felt fine again.

I checked over the car anyway and found the clutch fluid to be black and pretty low so as a start I bled the whole system through with fresh fluid, this is where I lost my pedal all together.

A work mate then noticed my slave cylinder had started leaking so I replaced that and tried bleeding the clutch through again, I managed to get half a pedal back but the fluid went black again almost instantly so I replaced the master cylinder as well.

After now having replaced the master and slave I managed to bleed the clutch properly and get a proper pedal again..

However now my issue is that it seems that the feel of the pedal keeps changing, sometimes it feels softer and like there's more free play and then it will go back to normal, I checked my fluid again to see if it had gone down and the level was fine but the fluids gone black AGAIN! It's obviously not done it as quickly as before but I'm lost now, literally the only part of the hydraulic clutch system I haven't replaced is the pipe between the master and slave (this is a braided line with the dampener removed, was from a group buy on here years back), maybe this had some shit left in it even though I blew it through with compressed air?

I just have no confidence in my clutch or how it feels anymore and I'm constantly nervous I'm gonna lose my pedal again so any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you.

Rides
    I'd reckon it just needs a bit more bleeding. They are a bit of a pig.

Rides
    As above, they can be a right pain to bleed, even with the dampener removed.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Agreed with the bleeding. Done a few now and it takes ages. Most annoying part is when the peddle springs to the floor.

Is the braided line dry with no pin hole leaks? What BMC and slave did you fit?
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    You are bleeding the master cylinder first yea?

Rides
    Might be the devils advocate here but bleeding without the dampener should be a doddle!

Sounds like you have something allowing a very small amount of air in to me.
    Did you replace the master and slave with new parts?

Rides
    Gonna try and reply to all here..

Yes the parts were new, the slave is pagid and the master is blue print

Braided line is completely dry

I can't remember if I bled the master first or not but I bled the master and slave a few times

I used a an airline brake bleeder if that makes any difference?

Thank you

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Try doing it the old fashion way.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Could the hose be buggered. It's the only thing left that could turn the fluid black contaminating it. Maybe it's breakin down into the fluid. It's a long shot.

Rides
    Worth a shot Chris.

Honestly snops I'm thinking the same thing, tempted to replace it on the off chance but I'm worried all the shits damaged the new, master and slave

Rides
    They will be fine if it is that Kyle. Just make a brake pipe up to replace the hose.

Rides
    Will get some more brake fluid and give it ago

Rides
    I had to replace my slave cylinder about a week ago after it blew out on me. Fluid was black and had what I presumed to be parts of the slave seal in the fluid. I used a large syringe and small hose to pull fluid through from the slave cylinder. Finished it off with the manual bleed method and still leaving the syringe connected. Had to empty the syringe a few times but it bled up perfectly.
    Good luck sorting it out, they're known to be a right pig. My mates s14a was terrible to bleed after deleting the damper loop. Had to bench bleed the MC.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by shikari chaos View Post
    I had to replace my slave cylinder about a week ago after it blew out on me. Fluid was black and had what I presumed to be parts of the slave seal in the fluid. I used a large syringe and small hose to pull fluid through from the slave cylinder. Finished it off with the manual bleed method and still leaving the syringe connected. Had to empty the syringe a few times but it bled up perfectly.
    Good luck sorting it out, they're known to be a right pig. My mates s14a was terrible to bleed after deleting the damper loop. Had to bench bleed the MC.
    Thanks for the info, will give it a go with a syringe, hopefully it will sort my issues