Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using road tyres for a trackday

Rides

Using road tyres for a trackday

I've just bought a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 which are yet to be fitted, going to be running 245 rear and 225 front, 9J all round. My question is, if I decided to do a trackday on them, would they be grippy enough and how much would I be likely to wear them? Never done a trackday before, so would be a decent thing to make me feel more comfortable with pushing my car.

Cheers
    Last edited by Matas; 21-05-2017 at 14:01.

Rides
    I've only ever done trackdays on road tyres, I'm yet to totally wear a set of tyres out in a day. I've not used Goodyears but Falkens, Kumho and maybe even Nankang on my last outing at Blyton and they've all been fine. You probably won't be able to pound round for too long in one session before they get a bit hot but it will depend on how warm it is on the day too. The Falkens for instance got very very warm at Anglesey years ago but it was over 23°C most of the day.

Rides
    Depends on track temps and how hard you drive. I've not had a great time with road tyres on a hot day on a proper race circuit. At Blyton and with a wet track in the afternoon my road tyres were really quite good. The problem with road tyres is the sidewalls are soft and they don't like heat. A few quick laps on a hot track and they turn to blancmange. If you're new to track days and you don't drive like Jason Plato I'm sure you'll be just fine on those. Plus if it rains you'll actually be able to use your car. You will not wear them out in one day. Unless you spend the whole day sideways on the limiter.

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Its down to how you treat them TBH, they will easily last a full day unless you give them death everywhere.

F1's are good tyres, they will provide plenty of grip and dont be too worried about them going off
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    I've only ever used road tyres, they do overheat and can slide around sometimes but that's when you really push them. Never really worn a set out though.

Rides
    F1s are very likely to overheat on track, they're quite known for it tbh, and I've seen it.

Yoko V103s were decent on road, and hold up on track well, as do V105s.

Pirelli also do some nice road tyres which are good on track.

There are also things like AD08R, R1r, NS2-R that are all road legal, but all kinds of awesome on track as they're designed as an ultra high performance tyre - that's what I have gone with on cars which see track regularly but are still used on the road, when I can't keep a whole spare set of wheels and tyres.

Rides
    By the sounds of it grip would most probably be adequate but it's probably best not to take most of the life out the road tyres. I guess if I decide I want to do a trackday at Cadwell it's worth looking into some wheels and tyres and keep my road tyres lasting a bit longer. What are people's opinions of federal 595rsrs? £80 a tyre for 235s seems good.
    https://www.camskill.co.uk/m117b1878...se:_70dB/RS_GB

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Matas View Post
    By the sounds of it grip would most probably be adequate but it's probably best not to take most of the life out the road tyres. I guess if I decide I want to do a trackday at Cadwell it's worth looking into some wheels and tyres and keep my road tyres lasting a bit longer. What are people's opinions of federal 595rsrs? £80 a tyre for 235s seems good.
    https://www.camskill.co.uk/m117b1878...se:_70dB/RS_GB
    I'm afraid it's just another road tyre. Cheaper to replace than the F1's though, I imagine.

Rides
    The 595's are a decent compromise. Little softer compound than your usual road tyre but nowhere near as good as a proper track biased tyre. AD08's are good but pretty awful in anything more than damp. Michelin MPSS are awesome both wet and dry conditions but dey gonna cost

Rides
    595RS-R is a semi-slick and much more suited to track days than the Eagle F1 - however as a semi-slick track tyre it's not as well thought of as the R888R, A048R and the NS2-R. The 595RS-R has had quite varying quality due to different production specs, some are great, some less so, and it's hard to know which you're getting

*Edit: AD08 I found fine in the wet and dry in the old S/C MX5 - each tyre however will be better or worse suited to a particular car and setup - if you put a lot of heat into a tyre with your car easily, you won't want something really soft. If you tend to find them cold a lot, and not cooking, you'll want something softer and more aggressive most likely to get decent grip. Alignment and suspension setup also will play a massive part in this.

Queue something piping up saying how they drive round everything with their linglong budgets - that's fine, you're a great talent, but you'll still be faster with decent rubber

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilchap View Post
    595RS-R is a semi-slick and much more suited to track days than the Eagle F1 - however as a semi-slick track tyre it's not as well thought of as the R888R, A048R and the NS2-R. The 595RS-R has had quite varying quality due to different production specs, some are great, some less so, and it's hard to know which you're getting

*Edit: AD08 I found fine in the wet and dry in the old S/C MX5 - each tyre however will be better or worse suited to a particular car and setup - if you put a lot of heat into a tyre with your car easily, you won't want something really soft. If you tend to find them cold a lot, and not cooking, you'll want something softer and more aggressive most likely to get decent grip. Alignment and suspension setup also will play a massive part in this.

Queue something piping up saying how they drive round everything with their linglong budgets - that's fine, you're a great talent, but you'll still be faster with decent rubber
    Ha ha! Very well put mate. Totally agree with the above. From personal experience in my 400bhp full track spec S14 and my driving style I tend to overheat almost everything on a warm day so I stick to R888's and the like. The problem is they're terrible in the wet. Ideally, if I could fit them in, I'd have the R888's on a spare set of wheels for dry circuit use and something like the RSR's for the road and a wet track. In a friends stockish Clio we've had a great day on track with AD08's with absolutely no overheating issues and it's still been driveable in the rain.

Rides
    I actually cooked R888s in a turbo MX5, switched to NS2Rs in a harder compound and they went all day with no drop in grip where I was sliding like mad on the R888s. It's very much down to setup, driving style, and what you're doing with the car

Ex Mod & Crabbit C**t Rubix_Cube's Avatar
    Rides
    Making me nervous about using my RainSport3's at the weekender.

Rides
    You wont die. You just might take a bit of life out of them, or have slightly shorter stints, to let things cool - which isn't an entirely bad thing!

What we're banging on about is what we likely do, I am assuming BLACKTOOTH is the same, where we keep going and going on track, as fast as we can, until we're tired, then come in for a rest...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilchap View Post
    It's very much down to setup, driving style, and what you're doing with the car
    I found that last year. I was overheating RSR's around Snetterton 300, but after changing coilovers, ARB's, roll center ball joints and drop links the problem went away Mine does more miles on the road than track so RSR's are spot on for me

Rides
    I liked the fact you couldn't do a mega long session on road tyres. That and they generally let the car move around more, it depends if you want to better explore how the car behaves or just go fast imo.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin101 View Post
    I liked the fact you couldn't do a mega long session on road tyres. That and they generally let the car move around more, it depends if you want to better explore how the car behaves or just go fast imo.
    This totally

I wanted to go as fast as I could, after the instructor came on board the little MX5 was going really well, despite I think dropping a bit of power through the day getting a little unwell.

Most people I think on a track day, rather than some kind of race, are entirely happy with decent road tyres and have a great time They're kinder on things like the brakes and engine temps, oil surge issues and all that fun stuff for sure.

Equally in a low power car like an MX5, on the same track at 450hp 135i and other similar weapons, posh tyres help you keep up. If you don't actually care about keeping up, and just want to have fun, which is probably the more sensible option, then road tyres will work without needing to be got really hot, just like they do on the road

Rides
    If you can drive on the road with your road tyres then you can do a track day on your road tyres. It's a track day, not the F1 championship at Monaco. :-) If you want to learn how your car really behaves when pushed, then it should be as you drive it everyday.
    For the last 11 years I have used Eagle F1s as it happens. Drive to the track, spend from 10am until 5pm, then drive home and drive to work on Monday morning. The exact same as I did with road trips to the Ring and back.
    Just progressively learn the track and car. Slowly push on. Let the car and tyres cool down every 10/15mins or so. Use your head. Try to set a lap record as soon as you hit the tarmac and you'll most likely hit the wall no matter what tyres you are using. Drive to your ability. Drive as "slowly" or as fast as you and the car feel comfortable with. It's about the craic, it's not a race.
    Of course if you want to chase lap times then slicks or semi-slicks are your only man. But if this is your first track day then that is the last thing that you'll be doing anyway.

Rides
    Last time I went on track with F1 asymmetricals I made quite a mess of them, although I can't remember if they were 2's or 3's. Michelin Pilot Supersport however have been brilliant as a road and track tyre, they still suffer more from the heat than a track focused tyre but seem pretty impervious to any real damage or wear. I'm going to try the Pilot 4S next as they are supposed to be even better
    Currently scrabble powered - Leon Cupra 280

Rides
    You're not a BTCC driver. On a first track day you'll be fine. If anything, it's better to do it on weaker tyres as you'll learn your car faster.

I didn't bake my F1s at Blyton in a more powerful and heavier car. And I'm no novice.