Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 044 fuel pump & swirl pot or just a walbro....

Rides

044 fuel pump & swirl pot or just a walbro....

Right tomorrow im doing all the fuel lines in my E30, its got a SR20 with a garret GTX3076R turbo...

I have got a swirl pot & I have got a 044 fuel pump as well... but, do I actually need the 044 & swirl pot? I bought them both thinking id need it and now I am really not sure if I actually do, I am running the standard E30 fuel tank so if I use the swirl pot the standard pump in the tank will feed the pot then the 044 feed the engine.. but I am reading up and a lot of people are saying they can run 500hp on a Walbro with no issues??

Anyone shed some light please before I start this

Rides
    How prone are E30s to leaving the fuel pump dry under cornering etc?

That's the benefit of a swirl pot, maintaining a constant fuel supply under all conditions regardless of tank fill.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin101 View Post
    How prone are E30s to leaving the fuel pump dry under cornering etc?

That's the benefit of a swirl pot, maintaining a constant fuel supply under all conditions regardless of tank fill.
    as far as I am aware even on a track they are pretty good, but mine will go on a track every now and then, mostly just a road going car?

Rides
    If there not prone to it I wouldn't bother just making something simple much more complicated with lots more failure points like leaks or pumps relays ect

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by autosri View Post
    If there not prone to it I wouldn't bother just making something simple much more complicated with lots more failure points like leaks or pumps relays ect
    That's what I am thinking, do I actually need it, its going to be a lot of hassle to fit it anyway in my boot so to save the drama I just wanted to check a walbro would work fine

Rides
    I ran the Aeromotive 340 for a while pushing 500 and it could just about cope (would have probably been fine with some upgraded wiring), however did switch to a Bosch 044 with external swirl pot for a bit of headroom over 500.

Rides
    I'm using one of these....

https://fuelperformance.co.uk/index....365_92_189_271

Around 500bhp using ID1000 injectors. I had two Aeromotive stealth before that, but they both failed outside of warranty with **** all miles on them so not worth the cash imo

It's running close to the limit on injector duty, but I think that's more the feed pipework that needs to be bigger. I've had all the stuff to go -6an, but never fitted it

Rides
    Yeah i am going -AN6 with mine and iom using 850cc sard injectors with a SARD FPR, just I planned on an 044 pump and swirl pot but if I don't need it then I wont bother using it

Rides
    I'd get rid of the Sard injectors before going with an external fuel pump setup.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    I'd get rid of the Sard injectors before going with an external fuel pump setup.
    How come? they not too good?

Rides
    They're ok, just not as good as ID1000 or newer EV14 style injectors.

Rides
    I kept finding my car getting fuel starved with just 400bhp and heavy cornering on track at anything less than 1/4 of a tank of fuel, I was looking at a swirl and Bosch 044 myself but just not keen to kill more boot space and introduce more failure points.
    Currently just using nismo 740 injectors and a hard wired warlbro 255 which is never a problem on the road but was causing problems on a track.
    If I could get a fuel system to sit nicely on the raised shelf bit above the fuel tank opening and be all neat and hidden I'd be happy.
    Would ID1000's also require a fuel rail change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Are you running a different fpr to cope with all this extra fuel pump?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by JC SX View Post
    Are you running a different fpr to cope with all this extra fuel pump?

yes mate iv got a SARD fpr, and sard 850cc injectors

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by JC SX View Post
    I kept finding my car getting fuel starved with just 400bhp and heavy cornering on track at anything less than 1/4 of a tank of fuel, I was looking at a swirl and Bosch 044 myself but just not keen to kill more boot space and introduce more failure points.
    Currently just using nismo 740 injectors and a hard wired warlbro 255 which is never a problem on the road but was causing problems on a track.
    If I could get a fuel system to sit nicely on the raised shelf bit above the fuel tank opening and be all neat and hidden I'd be happy.
    Would ID1000's also require a fuel rail change?

You could try and get a more robust in-tank baffle made. Similar idea to a trap-door style sump but for fuel so when the fuel would slosh away from the pump there is a volume of fuel contained next to the pump which will refill under all other conditions.

I think FEED made something similar for the RX-7 in tank - maybe start there for ideas? Probably won't fix the issue completely but might mean you can run to less than a 1/4 tank before having problems.

Rides
    You can feed the 044 from the warlbro. I wouldn't stress about shard injectors, I've ran some good power and never had issues with them

Rides
    id personally say go with the 044/swirl pot setup. my nismo high flow pump (similar flow rate to walbro) was maxing out for me around the 460-480bhp mark. I've now kept the nismo pump as a lift pump and installed a swirl pot, 044 and -8 feed hoses. I've also seen some people run twin walbro in tank pumps, not got any personal experience with this setup though so can't comment

Rides
    Surely the bigger higher rated pump should be in the tank and the lesser pump feeding the swirl pot so the swirl tank is always full? This makes sense in my head better than the other way round where it could have a fuel deficit

Rides
    If the in tank pump is feeding a swirl pot or in this instance the 044 pump then it it's flow rate will be higher because it isn't pumping at pressure. Therefore a lower L/hr pump will supply more than enough fuel in most cases. It's easy to measure, run the pump for 10 secs into a measuring jug and multiply by 6

Rides
    Looking into it abit more I think im going to go with an intank pump for now and see how I get on, looking at it the Aeromotive Stealth is one of the best intanks you can get.

I will run with this for now and then see what the outcome is, worse case I have to install my swirl pot & 044 pump, will see how it goes.

http://realstreetperformance.com/Fue...ison-Test.html