Thread: Handbrake 'Spin Turn/Dirft Button' Failure!?

Rides

Handbrake 'Spin Turn/Dirft Button' Failure!?

Right, I'm incredibly pissed off, upset, sad...

If you haven't linked 1 and 2 together already then here's a piccy.

Anyone heard of those handbrake buttons somehow releasing themselves or not latching properly all the time? I've never had a problem with mine before.

I definitely put the handbrake on because the car would've rolled away as soon as I let off the brake so I can only imagine the button somehow failed. It didn't even happen straight away while I was walking off which is weird, it was about 5 mins after leaving the car as well so I'm stumped. Lesson learned here, always park in gear and point wheels towards the kurb on hills.

Rides
    Are you sure a cable didn't snap or something like that? the button is really only a way of defeating the factory spring in the lever that wants to always push the factory button out. Your still 'clicking' the lock into the same receiver it always did only your physically pushing the button out to do so now rather than letting the spring do it for you. If your handbrake was on and you pulled the fly-off button off of the car altogether the spring handbrake would still be on?

Either way crap luck man that's a nasty looking dent.

Rides
    Well the handbrake is still working fine now wth no issues. i wonder if it's possible that if the button isn't pulled out far enough it could end up slipping when being pulled up... but then if that was the case I feel it would happen straight away. I really don't know

Yeah I'm surprised how such a small impact effected it. I need a new bonnet, wing and a few different bits for the headlight as well as getting all that and another front bumper sprayed. Worst bit I'm worried about is the rail where the wing mounts to looks slightly bent and the main top part where the bumper mounts to the car is mangled as well.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    That sucks man, what did it hit?
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Are you sure your brakes weren't hot and then they cooled and released off slightly ?? Same happened to my bro at the Nurburgring. Although he managed to stop any damage , apart from a few scratches where it went through a thorn bush

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Ended up rolling down into one of my work's transit van's front bumper. The plastic bumper came out with one small little crack which is nothing compared to what it's already like The car pulled to the left as well so it mounted the kurb which is why it didn't hit straight on.

I can't imagine it'd be anything brake related as I do the same drive all the time and I wasn't really booting it or braking hard on the way there compared to other times.

Rides
    ^^that's what my guess would be^^

the drift button is only a way engage the ratchet mechanism when you remove the spring.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13 View Post
    ^^that's what my guess would be^^

the drift button is only a way engage the ratchet mechanism when you remove the spring.
    Thing is though is that the handbrake was down when I went back to the car. So it's the only thing I can think of that somehow failed.

Rides
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing and all but those buttons take about 5 seconds to fit and remove so for the sake of your sanity I'd just pull it off when parking up or leave it in gear.

The car will be a write off if you claim any kind of insurance btw

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by big_mac View Post
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing and all but those buttons take about 5 seconds to fit and remove so for the sake of your sanity I'd just pull it off when parking up or leave it in gear.

That's not how they work. The 'button' does nothing but give you something to push against. When fitting, you remove/disengage the spring in the handbrake, so taking the button off will do nothing but not allow you to engage the brake...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by big_mac View Post

I told him randomly like a week ago to start parking it in gear and then this happened, I cursed him. Yeah insurance is a no go for this.

Such a turd thing to happen, don't trust your handbrakes people, I never have.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamz View Post
    That's not how they work. The 'button' does nothing but give you something to push against. When fitting, you remove/disengage the spring in the handbrake, so taking the button off will do nothing but not allow you to engage the brake...
    Ahh I gotcha, to someone that doesn't drift that sounds an extremely daft thing to do but I suppose it's horses for courses

Rides
    My Mrs left my shitvic recently with it just on the handbrake, the brakes cooled after half hour and a breeze of wind must have started it rolling it ended up kissing the car in front, luckily both bumpers ok, just had the neighbour worried as he couldn't move out of his space as my car was following him with nobody in it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk