Thread: Is this big end bearing rattle (video inside)

Rides

Is this big end bearing rattle (video inside)

Any advice greatly appreciated. Engine is RB20DET by the way.

Rides
    the knock seems to lessen/go completely when reved ,makes me think crank pulley bolt loose or flywheel loose,something rotating is loose
    needs checking what ever it is, try not run it any more till checked, it sounds like rod knock but I don't think it is

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDY black s13 View Post
    the knock seems to lessen/go completely when reved ,makes me think crank pulley bolt loose or flywheel loose,something rotating is loose
    needs checking what ever it is, try not run it any more till checked, it sounds like rod knock but I don't think it is
    Hi mate. Thanks for replying. That's good to hear. As far as I can tell the noise seems to be coming from near the front of the engine. Not the top ebd but further down somewhere.

Rides
    Get a length of clean hose / poly pipe. Put one end in your ear and move round the engine pushing the end into contact. You will be able to detect where the noise is loudest.

Remove the coil cover and listen on head not the cam boxes.

If the noise is loudest near the sump it's big ends.

Top end check lifters and CAS.

Rides
    That sounds exactly like mine did when no1 journal had span its shells on revving it upto about 3000rpm it was really apparent, however when going above that it disappeared all together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by skyshack View Post
    Get a length of clean hose / poly pipe. Put one end in your ear and move round the engine pushing the end into contact. You will be able to detect where the noise is loudest.

Remove the coil cover and listen on head not the cam boxes.

If the noise is loudest near the sump it's big ends.

Top end check lifters and CAS.
    Thanks for that info. Will try that.

Quote Originally Posted by tricky890 View Post
    That sounds exactly like mine did when no1 journal had span its shells on revving it upto about 3000rpm it was really apparent, however when going above that it disappeared all together

Did you have damage to the crank? Or was it just a case of replacing the bearings?

Rides
    Complete rebuild required in my circumstances . The crank needed re machining oversized bearings etc etc . You may be lucky so don't run it, I was on boost and I lost all oil pressure and crank seal went aswell.

Rides
    To me that sounds like bottom end bearings. Drain oil, see what it looks like.

Rides
    Sounds humped to me too

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    To me that sounds like bottom end bearings. Drain oil, see what it looks like.

You mean like look for bits of bearings in the oil?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Baba View Post
    You mean like look for bits of bearings in the oil?
    Yea.

If you hold the throttle about 3k and feather it can you hear it then?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pointz View Post
    Yea.

If you hold the throttle about 3k and feather it can you hear it then?

My rev gauge is broken LOL but if I hold it steady at low revs you do hear it. Also hear it on idle. Revving up slowly you hear it. Once it revs past 2500 or so it goes away.

Rides

Just as a reference this is a knocking RB20 but mine sounds very different to that.

Will try draining oil and also using the hose to hear where the knock is this weekend.

Rides
    if you drop the oil and go though it you may find some copper (a shell has gone through the top layer and its eating up the copper layer)
    but the drain hole is not flush with the bottom of the sump pan so a lot will stay in the sump
    before you pull it apart check crank pulley bolt is tight and the pulley is solid on the crank,as can come loose/munch up the wood ruft key
    alternator/pas pump/AC can all rattle,the pump may be tight on it's bracket but the bracket can be loose on the block and = rattle
    rattle/knock on idle or low rpms then goes at 3k revs is the reverse of the start of rod knock on CA's SR's
    the early start of a big end going sounds like this one imo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyu95xA2uL4
    near same as your video tbh

Rides
    Okay there's good news. Used a long extension bar as a stethoscope and the noise is loudest on the passenger side rocker cover right at the front.

Noisy lifter?

Rides
    I will do an oil change as suggested just to be sure but just wanted to say a huge thanks to everyone who offered advice.

Coming back to this forum after nearly 8 years but everyone is still helpful as ever!

Rides
    Take cam covers off. With cam pointing up away from lifter push on lifter. Should feel solid. If it goes squish it needs a clean aka refurb.

Remove belt and cams, remove lifter. Give lifter a very firm rap on block of wood, open end to wood, until the hydraulic bit pops out. There is a recessed top cap with a slot and hole. Slide the plunger apart, there is a spring and ball inside it. Clean. Reassemble immersed in engine oil, making sure the plunger is full.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by skyshack View Post
    Take cam covers off. With cam pointing up away from lifter push on lifter. Should feel solid. If it goes squish it needs a clean aka refurb.

Remove belt and cams, remove lifter. Give lifter a very firm rap on block of wood, open end to wood, until the hydraulic bit pops out. There is a recessed top cap with a slot and hole. Slide the plunger apart, there is a spring and ball inside it. Clean. Reassemble immersed in engine oil, making sure the plunger is full.
    Thank you so much for the advice.

Sounds a little complicated but I'll give it a go this weekend.