Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Press

Rides

Oil Press

Can I T-off the stock oil pressure switch to screw in the new gauge press sensor on the CA18DET? I know it's done on other engines, just want to make sure the CA is suitable as well.

Rides
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Yes or get a sandwich plate either or

Rides
    Ok, thanks. I can't put the sandwich plate that's why. I already have a thermostatic one for the oil radiator and it doesn't have the holes for the sensors. I'll also have to put the temp sensor in the sump.

Rides
    You can stack two sandwich plates, quite common and doesn't leak unless you ruin an O-ring.
    You want the oil temp sensor in the flow of oil really, having it in the sump isn't giving the most accurate reading.

If you decide to T into the stock sensor hole then use a small piece of hose to move both off the block, people have tried just putting a T-connector into the block and hanging both sensors off that.
    It sheared off and dumped all their oil out.

Rides
    Nice feedback thanks.

And how about taking the temp from the turbo oil line (from block to turbo) right next to the block? Is the reading correct there?

Rides
    Just take it from the oil pressure switch. I wouldn't mess with the oil feed, it's an extra joint that could leak right next to a red hot turbo. It might be fine but not for me

Rides
    Yea as big mac says it's an added headache you just don't need.

Rides
    Mmh, indeed but the trouble taking it from the switch is the flow. If I have to pipe off the T connector to prevent the piece from breaking wouldn't there be stagnancy of oil in the tube? The temp may be different.

Rides
    Shouldn't be too bad, you don't need to run loads of pipe and mount it in the rear seat.
    A few inch is all thats needed, just to take the weight of the senders off the fitting in the block.

Alternatively some people have modified the heat exchange on the oil filter to take senders and stuff.

Rides
    That's a good idea, I'll check the exchanger block and see what can be done.

Also, another question, I've just been reading about what oil level is required considering I've added the oil radiator and the lines are pretty long. Should I still keep it at dipstick level? Or should I overfill a bit. I can't find any info on this, except the dangers of overfilling above the turbo drain pipe and blow-by outlet.

Rides
    The oil radiator should add capacity but shouldn't raise the oil level, they usually hold about half a litre or so.
    Just stick to the dipstick, even though it can be hard to get a reliable answer off it.

Rides
    Thanks!

Rides
    Sorry if I'm reviving this but I'm having some trouble with the oil pressure thread.

All around the web people say the block thread is 1/8bspt (so, tapered), upon looking at the sensor thread it does seem that way. But I bought one of those T adapters as mentioned above (to put the 2 sensors into the block) and there is no way to get it in.

I also got a hose adapter to hang all the sensors as mentioned above as well, due to the adapter breaking problem, but the male hose adapter doesn't fit in the block either. At least this one does screw in, but only one turn.

It's really weird, any one got through this process successfully? What did you use?

Rides
    Probably cause the adapter is 1/8 NPT, most of them are. And you aftermarket oil temp/press sensor is probably also going to be 1/8" NPT.

Easiest might be to acquire a sandwich plate that has the correct thread for your aftermarket sensor. And leave the OEM oil press switch in its original position.

Rides
    The sensors are npt yes, they fit fine in the adaptor, it's just the block that gives me trouble. I already got a sandwich plate with thermo for the oil cooler, I wouldn't want to put a second one, and there is no room to drill in the one I got.

Rides
    Can you take the original oil pressure switch down to a hydraulic company and have them check the thread on it for you?

Rides
    I did but they didn't have anything similar. I'll keep looking around but there is not much options where I live. I've seen a 1/8 bspt male to 1/8 bspp female adapter on ebay, I could try my luck with that. Supposing it's actually bspt.

Rides
    Probably why people use sandwich plate. Or drill and tap ally oil filter/heat exchanger mount. There is a threaded plugged hole in it, probably metric, points backwards and might interfere with A frame and engine mount.

Rides
    Yes, i'm pretty sure CA18 uses 1/8 BSPT. Also make sure the extension ur using is made out of steel. I've seen quite a few brass ones break off due to the weight of the sensor(s)