Thread: Oil temp issues, is my car going to blow up?!

Rides

Oil temp issues, is my car going to blow up?!

I've installed this gauge and sensor into a cheap sandwich plate, along with a pressure sensor by the same company.

Look at this on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112034033195

AutoGauge 2” 52mm Digital LED Oil Temperature/Temp Sensor Gauge

My temp is reading 95-100 Celsius, cruising taking it slow and when I boot it for more than half a minute the temp goes up to nearly 120? Also my pressure is at 25psi idle, 50 psi cruising and 100psi in higher revs? I'm new to this stuff but I'm sure the temp isn't right? The car doesn't feel that hot and I've got a big intercooler and my ac removed with the fan wired permanent? Has anyone used these gauges? Have I installed it wrong? Here is my engine bay in case I'm missing something obvious, I'm running Mobil 1 10w40 semi synthetic oil incase that matters? Also, I live in England so I'm not in some mad heat, it's usually cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Id say your oil pressure being at 25psi (2bar) idle and 50psi (4bar) cruising is perfectly fine however 100psi (8bar) higher in the revs is a bit too much. Pretty sure the oil pumps have presuure release bypass valves? May be its failed.

You haven't got your fans wired permanent you have a oem viscous fan!

Maybe the cowling could help! Whats your water temp like?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pointz View Post
    Id say your oil pressure being at 25psi (2bar) idle and 50psi (4bar) cruising is perfectly fine however 100psi (8bar) higher in the revs is a bit too much. Pretty sure the oil pumps have presuure release bypass valves? May be its failed.

You haven't got your fans wired permanent you have a oem viscous fan!

Maybe the cowling could help! Whats your water temp like?
    I think they would of but I'm losing no oil at all, I have the air con fan wired permanently, I've done that since taking that photo! My water temp always sits below half and does move a tiny bit hotter when drifting/racing but it's only a standard gauge.

Rides
    That's way too hot. You shouldn't get anywhere near 120 from a quick blast on the road.

Some things to check:

Is that gauge even accurate? Take the probe out of the sandwich plate and stick it in a mug of boiling water - check it reads about 100 degrees!

Is your cooling system okay? The lack of fan cowling won't help but the fan only has to work when the car is stationary. But is the radiator blocked with crap? Is it air locked? Perhaps drain the coolant and refill/bleed iaw the correct procedure.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Right I'm gonna go get started on all that! I did take the turbo off a while ago and had to add coolant, let it run with the cap off for a bit but do you think that could of blocked anything up? I'll have to have a read about bleeding the coolant system properly

Rides
    I is check the gauge before you rip into it. If it's a cheapish gauge it might not be correct

Rides
    Yeah I'm going to do that. Anyone recommend some decent well priced gauges?

Rides
    What gauges are they ?? Sounds completely inaccurate. Mine gets to around 120,130 when hammering it on the track , never anywhere near that when on the road .

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky890 View Post
    What gauges are they ?? Sounds completely inaccurate. Mine gets to around 120,130 when hammering it on the track , never anywhere near that when on the road .

The link is in the first thread dude, have a look? Maybe auto meter? Not sure.

Rides
    Mine sits at around 95 deg on the motorway around 80. Check your grounds on the sensor/gauge

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Okay I'll give it a look over tomorrow, thanks everyone so far