Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Matas' 200SX S14 Zenki

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    Looking good dude, I'm pretty sure that the front plate is legal though and the guy is talking bollocks on that one lol.
    Nice to see another zenki though
    Plenty of others have said that too, I couldn't be arsed arguing with him for the sake of buying a different plate. Now I look at it, I swear it's shorter than normal, there's barely any space between the top and the letters.

Rides
    That sounds like fun!

I'm a big fan of the Navan aero with the Kouki spoiler that's the route I want to go down. I've got the front bumper, just need to get the skirts and spoiler now. They can wait until I've got the car running though. I'm definitely keeping mine red though

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    That sounds like fun!

I'm a big fan of the Navan aero with the Kouki spoiler that's the route I want to go down. I've got the front bumper, just need to get the skirts and spoiler now. They can wait until I've got the car running though. I'm definitely keeping mine red though
    Sounds like we may end up having cars that look almost the same in the future. I can't see me ever justifying a full respray, so it's staying red for sure, I really like it anyway. Shame I've got all that lacquer peel though.

Rides
    Yeah, quite possibly!

My lacquer isn't great either, S14's are getting on a bit now aren't they.

Rides
    That black zenki used to belong to Dave cooper, he's a bloody good driver tbf!!
    I disagree about colour, but I don't like red cars lol

Rides
    Booooo!

Rides
    That black zenki used to belong to Dave cooper, he's a bloody good driver tbf!!
    Yeah I'm aware, his car influenced my buying decision a little bit actually haha.

Rides
    His photography is mental too tbh.
    I'd love to go navan everything but it's expensive!! Lol

Rides
    Right I think it's finally time for an update, last few weeks have been busy. So upon coming back from holiday, got back from the airport, had a shower and left within 10 minutes to go collect the car on the Saturday evening. I had one major issue, my replacement handbrake wasn't going to arrive on time for MOT on monday morning. I was talking to the welder about it, he messed around with it for a bit and luckily in the end managed to get my existing handbrake to work as it should, after changing the spring for a different one. As for the welding I was pleased with this work, he showed me a pile of metal he had cut out of the car, there were at least 15 pieces. Shame he couldn't take any pictures as he went along.

He coated both the sills in 3M black body schutz as in the end both sills had work done, we did actually agree that I was going to be doing that myself to save cost, but he did it for me for no additional cost. I just hope that's not just him trying to cover up some kind of mess, I may strip it at some point and just paint them. I was concerned that it would look crap as it's a textured rubber coating, but it honestly looks fine.

and my new emissions friendly cat

that evening I crimped on a connector onto the handbrake sensor cable that I previously snapped off and that worked again no problem. I also attempted to stick on the new front plate with regular double sided tape, as that's all I could find, found it on the floor the next morning

On Sunday I refitted the whole interior, I remember it was roasting hot and I was melting when doing some bits inside. I also adjusted one of my main beams as I had an advisory for it, it was pointing lower than the dipped.

Took the car in Monday morning and thankfully it passed! I was chuffed, MOT man continued to be a grumpy fart and gave me another advisory of "exhaust noisy" which he hadn't given me before even though it was actually a tad louder before without the cat, I was under the impression that he couldn't do that for a retest, but I didn't give a shite really.

I was going to clean the lambda sensor just to make sure I wasn't going to fail emissions for that, but I didn't have a spanner that could access the nut, so I just hoped for the best. Well I didn't have anything to worry about, carbon monoxide levels were 6 times lower with the cat fitted . The cat hasn't really changed the car at all, it's still savagely loud and seems to actually pop more, then again I've found out how to purposely make it pop so I can't help myself doing that.

After getting the car back Monday lunch time, I was tempted to go out for a blast, but I knew I had a bunch of work to do to have it ready for alignment on Thursday, figured I'd lower it again and make sure all the coilovers were cleaned up before I had some fun in it that evening. Glad I ended up doing so as I had left all the collars loose when I raised the car in the winter to get it into a farm building.

I had the coilovers covered in copper grease and loads of muck had stuck to them, cleaned that all off, cleaned all the threads and moved all the collars to ensure nothing seized up. I plan on buying some coilover "socks" or covers soon, to stop loads of crap sticking to the grease that I re applied on them. Took the car out for a little blast that evening but didn't really go mad since I hadn't driven in 7 months and it still had meh rear tyres and no alignment. So good to drive it again.

On Tuesday I decided to make a start on fitting my new suspension arms, just in-case I ran into issues and needed plenty of time to have it done for Thursday. I purchased some Hardrace rubber bushed arms from Slide Motorsport who were able to save me £10 from the price that was listed on Apex. All was straight forward apart from the subframe side toe arm bolts, the stupid eccentric bolt and washers were a faff and wouldn't come out. Ended up cutting one washer up and bashing out the bolt as I was planning to get replacements at Slide Motorsport.

New and old

The old toe arm bushes were ruined, wonder if affected the way the car felt.

I don't seem to have any pictures, but I did fit front tension rods too, those were by far the easiest arms to install. It did actually end up taking me Tuesday and Wednesday to have all the arms done, nothing is ever a quick job, glad I started on Tuesday.

I'll carry on with the rest of the update hopefully tomorrow!

Rides
    "I'll carry on with the rest of the update hopefully tomorrow!"

Tomorrow turned out to be in a months time decent.

So in the latest post, I had got the new suspenion arms in, day after I headed to Slide Motorsport for my alignment, new rear tyres and general check over. Spent the majority of my afternoon there, but was super satisfied with the service. The price was very fair as they had to do a few extra bits for me, but only charged be for the few bolts and the aligment. The car was taken for a test drive to be checked over and then readjusted, it was nice to have someone drive it who knows what they're on about. Whilst I was there I also picked up a drivers side black door card for a very good price! Can't recommend Slide Motorsport enough!

And here's the alignment I ended up with

Even the drive home on the motorway felt so much better, that evening I ended up going out for a blast in the North Yorkshire roads, where barely anyone was to be seen, it was the most I enjoyed driving the car to that date. The alignment, plus the new grippy tyres, aswell as a tyre size increase on the rear to 245, resulted in a very different car. I can't say that I gained confidence immediately, but over time, the way I dare to drive has changed massively.

The rear arches got filled a bit nicer than before, went up from a 225 to a 245, decided to get rid of the 5mm spacer too.

I
    Next day I did 200 miles going to Newcastle and back, no issues with the car. For whatever reason the car seems to use more fuel since I've started using it after the winter, only real change is it now has a catalytic converter. Before I managed to get 32mpg on the motorway without really trying, where as now I only managed 27mpg and only came on boost like 3 times in a 100 miles. Well, I don't really care, just weird.

The day after was the start of my paint correction. I bought myself a dual action polisher and decided it was time to compound and polish my car, which seemed to be one big swirl.

I spent shitloads of hours doing it, I'm sure it shouldn't take anywhere near as long, but I didn't work at a crazy pace and I was being pretty anal. I ended up running out of time to do the boot, wing and rear bumper before I had to leave to go down south for the weekend of car shows. I was SUPER pleased with the outcome though.

Annoyingly the DA decided to mess up pretty quickly and the speed control dial broke, leaving the polisher on max speed all the time, it was still useable but I ended up with loads of spray everywhere which took forever to clean up. Stuff like this was a nightmare, ended up taking off the entire panel and scrubbing with a bloody toothbrush . (Yeah I know I'm a total lunatic )

I also got round to changing my rear number plate for a new one, was surprised to see that even the font was different on the really old one. Amazingly the rusty screws come out easily. The rear end looked pretty good even with the UK bumper but w/o a plate.

As I mentioned earlier, I ran out of time to finish the rear of the car with the polisher before I had to set off down south to JackBs house, even though I was absolutely sick of using the polisher at this point and my body didn't want anymore, we ended up doing Jack's bonnet and wings which came out really good, they were full of shite beforehand.

On that Saturday we drove from St Albans to Japfest Donington, it was pretty good but didn't compare to the main Japfest event at Silverstone. Plus the Vibe Audio stand was a fecking disgrace that has stuck in my mind. Oh and the poor Honda Accord that some bloke was just non stop revving. (Pay respects to that k24, 1 like 1 prayer)

Here's our two turds parked at Donington.

Jack being a cool kid with his plate in his window, what a scrub.

And a rolling shot of my car taken by our mate on the way back. Shutter speed was so high that my car looks parked

Day after was another early start, this time, Goodwood Festival of Speed. By far the best show I've been to, I was enjoying it so much I didn't even want to faff around taking photos, but my mate used my camera to do so instead, yet to go through them .

Overall the weekend of car shows and general goofing around with cars was mint. S14 survived 1300 miles in 2 weeks since passing it's MOT, although the power steering belt is screaming for a change. I should have more photos of mine and JackB's cars from the weekend but I still need to go through them.

That's enough typing for now, more to come!

Shameless plug, if anyone actually for whatever reason cares and wants to see stuff sooner, follow me on Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/14matas/

Rides
    Saw yours parked up Sunday after I saw you , nice choice of wheels ��

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by rich damms View Post
    Saw yours parked up Sunday after I saw you , nice choice of wheels ��
    Yeah it was cool to see your car too mate, caught my eye as soon as I saw you coming in. Can't say I'm not jealous haha

Rides
    Right, time for an update I guess.

I picked up a set of AVS Model 7 wheels with tyres for a very cheap price. All 4 with tyres cost less than ONE of the rear tyres I fitted to the R33 wheels
    Of course I had to give them a good clean up. General clean, compound, polish and wax later:

Super pleased with them, didn't really have any reason to pick them up but I couldn't pass on such a bargain. I ideally wanted some CST Hyper Zero or MB Battle which look the same really but came in more concave designs. However these are Advan AVS wheels so I can actually trust their quality unlike something like the MBs. I think I eventually plan to paint them bronze myself, see how they turn out, however for now they can stay as there are.

Here's how they look on the car. They're 17x8 ET30 w/ a 25mm spacer on the front and 17x9 ET38 w/o spacers on the rear. 235 tyres on the front, 255 on the rear.

I then got round to fitting my new door card I picked up from Slide Motorsport,

Before:

After:

I quite liked one of the stickers they gave me, felt it suited the car and it wasn't in your face either so I put that on too.

I finally got round to correcting the paint on the rear bumper, bootlid and wing. Massive improvement over the pictures I've shown before.

Cleaning up bits kind of got out of hand a little.

Got a bit of stick for polishing my exhaust but oh well
    Before:

After:
    Only picture I seem to have. I thought I wouldn't really need to do much more than the tip, but realised you can see the whole cannon when it's on the car, it'll get redone at some point.

Whilst I had the AVS Model 7s on the car for a while, I decided I'd clean up the R33 GTR wheels once again properly, get all the old sticky pads for the wheel weights off. They got a clean, compound, polish and wax. Makes them nice and easy to clean afterwards.

Later down the line I decided to give the car another quick polish and top up of wax as I planned to go take more photos of it on Harrogate high street at night, ended up working on it till 2am one night, and then remembered about a local car show I was meant to be going to the following day, so at least the car would look good for that. Here's what the car looked like when it was done, changed wheels over in the morning.

Much gloss.
    Last edited by Matas; 27-02-2018 at 15:18.

Rides
    I love taking photos with the DSLR but can never be bothered going through the shitloads I've taken, therefore always end up putting off updating this I've just gone through all the photos to be up to date so I can post more! Until I go and take more photos tomorrow

So I went to the Fueled Society show, only really took one decent photo of the car. It did look mint, but the cracked lip and all the lacquer peel on the bonnet was really starting to bug me.

Here's some other cool stuff I saw there,

During the show I got a message from a friend saying he did a crashu the night before, so left to go help scrape his Citroen C2 off the wall he attached himself to. Cheered him up with some turbo flutter, who doesn't love turbo flutter.

Did end up going into Harrogate that evening which was my initial idea for polishing and waxing the car but with all the unplanned driving and rain, the car wasn't in perfect state I had hoped for. Although I did manage to get a photo I was pleased with. (What kind of a lunatic polishes and waxes his car just to go take some photos )

Not really much happened with the car for the month of August until the end of the month. I decided to take the short shifter off because 4th gear was starting to crunch more and more, aswell as the gearbox seeming to be generally unhappy a lot. The idea was to take the short shifter off see how that affected it, then potentially change the gearbox fluid again for some Redline shockproof or something. Well changing back to the stock shifter greatly helped but at one point my clutch pedal decided to entirely lose pressure until I started the car.

Few days down the line, I decide it's finally time to change the clutch fluid due to the incident with the clutch a few days prior, I'd been putting it off for a while. Well doing so finished off either the clutch master or slave cylinder, after waiting for a week for replacements, I fitted the new parts and the clutch regained pressure once again. I also did a coolant flush during that time and changed the power steering belt. My power steering belt tensioner doesn't seem to be actually doing anything and the belt is loose, I still need to figure that out.

Whilst the car was broken for the week, I decided to take off the front lip which was secured with something daft like 17 bolts. It was time it received a repair.

Whilst I was doing the coolant flush, I couldn't help but clean up the overflow reservoir.

Then I also compound and polished the headlights because why not?

Eventually I fixed the clutch issue, however after playing the clutch, I've resulted in the clutch bitting point being extremely high, almost just before releasing. I need to play around with it to try adjust it but haven't done so yet as I've been enjoying the car a lot lately and it hasn't seem to affect the car negatively, clutch doesn't slip but it's pretty turd in traffic, then again it always has been anyway so who cares.

The day after I fixed my clutch, this goofy thing arrived to visit me for a week. He got on with fitting his Type X 180 front bumper upon arrival.

JackB came up north to visit. We had a whole week of playing on North Yorkshire roads and ventured into Nidderdale and the Yorkshire Dales

The following are a bunch of glam photos from that week, got myself a 35mm 1.8 lens so had fun playing that!

Squires Cafe Jap Meet

I had also previously purchased another bonnet and both front wings for a bargain price. The bonnet wasn't perfect but an improvement over my lacquer peel thing I had. With the help from Jack we got that swapped over in minutes.

A few days later it was time for me to return back to uni in Newcastle, as I knew the car would be sitting on the street and probably not have a proper wash in a while. I felt inclined to give it all a proper wash and wax. Whilst I was at it, it was only right that I compound, polished and wax the "new" bonnet, otherwise it may look different to the rest of the car. Thankfully the paint seems to be a perfect match (Not to the passenger wing but that's another story)

Here's a shot of it after I rolled it out the garage. Wish I got the DSLR out and not just the phone. Washed, waxed, windows sealed, front lip fixed and repainted and cable tied back on. (17 bolts, what a joke.)

Last weekend I was bored, having not gone out as much as I expected that week before uni started, I figured if I didn't spend the money on alcohol then I can spend some more on fuel and go for an adventure in the North Pennines.

Just what I was after, clear winding roads with great scenery.
    MOAR PHOTOS! Loving the 35mm

I did try take video with microphones running to the engine bay and near exhaust too but I haven't got that dialed in yet so nothing for now.
    That's all up to date!

Going for an adventure into the North Pennines again tomorrow, check the car is all healthy and then track night at Teeside Autodrome on Monday for my first ever track action. Maybe some photos from Vigilant teSte too

3:45am YIKES
    Last edited by Matas; 24-09-2017 at 21:53.

Rides
    Certainly was an awesome week driving up north, going to need to visit again some time for sure.

Pics have come out mint too!

Rides
    Not too much to update. From September to Christmas the car wasn't used too much. A bunch of fun drives early in September and even a track night at Teesside, but then it sat parked on the street most of the time, as I really have no use for the car at uni. Driving it on track was quite a cool experience, having never done it before. Unfortunately, at the time I had an issue with my power steering, it worked on and off so it wasn't the nicest to drive.

Got the power steering resolved. Surprisingly very few issues so far into ownership, lots of stuff is going to all go wrong at once I'm sure.

Bunch of the decent pictures that I've taken in the last little while.

I picked up some touring sideskirts and should be picking up a kouki wing on Friday, so look forward to getting those fitted. Still missing an end cap for the sideskirts, tempted to try 3D print one.

Finally tried some sideways action over the Christmas break, not all that terrifying once you try it.

After new years, the car got a very good clean, including all the underneath and engine bay to get off all the salt that it unfortunately saw during December.

The car has currently been left to sit nice and clean in a newly tidied out space. (If it was up to me I'd bin everything in that garage haha)

Hoping to keep it off the road as much as possible to avoid the salt, but with it being my only car I'm having to use it to go pickup the wing on Friday, plus I'll be having to drive to a friends unit over the next few months for rust repairs Plenty of stuff to be doing in the arches and the rear pockets.

Here's what I can look forward to!

Can't wait

Rides
    Rust update!

So the hole in the passenger side front arch was apparent as I could see the carpet from there , but I knew there was one in the driver side too by the fact that the sound insulation carpet stuff was wet in there. I agreed a weekend with my mate where he'd help me with my rust repairs. I sacked off someone uni stuff and came back on a Tuesday night to start preparing the car at home, in order to start the cutting and welding on the Saturday.

First things first, interior out so I could get all the carpets out, avoid unnecessary fires and what not. Considering I've done this so many times now, it's a piece of piss.

Then the real work started for me, grinding back the inside of the arches. Never done anything like it before, so it's all new to me. Sadly found a lot of shite

The passenger side ended up being this, not all that bad just one ****off size patch and that pitted area was somewhat concerning, but it was solid once cleaned up.

However the driver side ended up being a heck of a lot worse.

Three different problem areas, one previous repair which didn't hold up well and became a hole again, and two bits on the flat section that were just in front of the chassis leg.

There was a few random bits of surface rust all over the shop which I cleaned up, stripped back a lot of the seam sealer as there was problem areas along some seams, just wanted to make sure I didn't have rust underneath seam sealer. Once I was happy enough with everything I could grind back, I used Bilt Hamber's Hydrate 80 to apply to any bits I couldn't access very well or just wanted to coat for my own sanity.

Probably a waste of product coating the sections which were going to be cut out realistically but I didn't see any harm

I ended up only stripping back the front arches, even though originally the plan was to do the rears too, there would have never been enough time to do the rears at the same time anyway. Drove my car 20miles to my mates workshop were the cutting began.

Sadly the previous repair which had failed had caused a lot of damage, there was many layers of metal which were corroded and quite a lot required to be cut out. Annoyingly one layer was essentially inside the car which meant the carpet sound insulation bits needed to be removed in order not to set shite on fire. I imagine you could take out the whole thing neatly if you remove the dashboard, however that wasn't an option. I just had to cut them as tidily as I could, as well as unbolting the fuse box and throttle peddle in the foot-well.

That area took quite a long time to get finished up however the next sections were quite trouble free as they were just flat sections which I was quite easily able to make plates to fit.

On the passenger side, it didn't end up being any worse than expected really. Whilst the amount of material that was cut out was damn big, there wasn't shitloads more rust to be found.

I was left to try make up the replacement panel for that massive section, I managed to get it to roughly the right shape, however somehow ended up entirely fecking it up and being miles off again, I'm not exactly very skilled at metal work haha, always did woodworking instead of metal work at school. Once my mate was back, he got more towards the desired shaped and then beat the panel to shape on the car.

Lack of time really wasn't helping, the idea to have everything welded up, primed and sealed in 3M Body Schutz was impossible. Furthermore it was about 0 degrees that entire weekend so nothing was going to dry anyway. As a result, on Sunday night we just coated everything in Bilt Hamber Electrox Primer and buttoned the car back up for me to drive it back home, where it would sit until another weekend where we could finish it off. On the way home I got stuck behind a salt gritter which blasted my freshly done arches in salt

Will post more later!

Rides
    So a few weeks later it was time to finish off the front arches, whilst the welding had been done, I wasn't just going to leave it in primer. I covered merely 50 miles from putting the car back together after the welding, to getting back to my mates workshop. This is the result of driving on just salted roads.

That was just on top of where the wing sits, the insides of the arches had received a battering of salt and the bottom pockets of the wings just collected all the salt as there is no arch liners there to protect grime collecting there. No wonder the bottoms of the wings are bad.

It was time to strip back the primer on the insides of both the arches, and to clean up the area hidden behind the wings.

Leaving this.

Everything received a coat of Bilt Hamber Electrox Primer, and was left to dry, after which 3M Body Schutz was applied to protect the arches. The final result being.

In addition to the insides of the arches, I decided that, due of the lack of arch liners; although I do plan to refit some, the insides of the wings really could do with protection as they're getting battered too. They were cleaned up and also coated with the 3M Body Schutz.

It was all a very messy job, we didn't do much masking knowing that the overspray cleans off pretty easily. I already had planned to be going over the whole car again to clean off all the contaminants, so it won't really make a difference. The drying time for the Schutz was stated at something like 5/6hours at 23 degrees Celsius. We were working in a workshop that was at best 2 degrees, there were heaters by the archers for the majority of the time, however even after 20hours or so, it still wasn't fully cured.

Driving the 20 miles home, I yet again encountered salty roads, which resulted in shite sticking to my schutz. I decided to not pick away at anything and just let it sit until next time, it's on a thick layer of schutz, I can't see it doing anything, however I will clean everything next time I'm home. Far from perfect conditions to be doing repairs and driving back and forth, but there wasn't really an alternative. I believe it's better than holes letting water into the cabin, next to the fuse box . My mate and I are aware that the repairs are not exactly professional, nevertheless I am damn pleased with our result, I don't feel we half arsed the job.

In return for all the help on my car, I will be cleaning up my mates Civic Aerodeck. Massive estate with a B18, can't go wrong

The contamination on this is the worst I've seen.

I gave it it's first wash in something like 4 years and used a bilt hamber clay bar to do a test section on the bonnet. It's going to be a giant task, even more so due to the size of the car, but the result will be so fulfilling as the car is so bad right now.

As for my car, there is plenty more rust repairs to be done, it's scary how quick all the rust has emerged over 2017, driving it into the winter only made it worse I'm sure. Next will be rear archers and rear pockets. I have some replacement exterior rear pockets from Steve Richardson so that will help make things tidy, I have also purchased Navan rear spats which will cover that section, so will only need to paint that small piece instead of both the rear quarters.
    The state of one of the rear arches

Also need to get this kouki wing fitted and painted, aswell putting on my sideskirts, now that I have the end caps!

Big post, lots of text. Who even reads this shite
    Last edited by Matas; 08-03-2018 at 17:59.

Rides
    Looks really smart mate I do like a zenki.

Rides
    You've done a great job with this thread & your car is coming along really well mate, damn rust in these is a pain in the arse. Its a shame people stopped wax oiling underbodies & cavities, its was the done thing in the 60s & 70s. Would have saved a shed load of cars from being scraped thats for sure.

Keep up the good work
    Last edited by sx rider; 11-03-2018 at 15:01.