Thread: Snapped nut in chassis rail HEEEEEELP!!!

Rides

Snapped nut in chassis rail HEEEEEELP!!!

I'm having a mare, the bolt for the tension rod bracket that lives above the big tension rod bush screws into a captive nut.... mine has now freed itself. WTF do I do about that!? There is a tiny hole that allows just enough access to prove that the nut is spinning but not enough to lock it with anything, bolt is partially undone so potentially could get grinder in to remove bracket but then how the hell do I fix the captive nut in the box section!? Any guidance gratefully received.

Rides
    I had exactly the same. I ground off the bolt & fitted a nut insert. I think it was m12 from memory.

Rides
    Could you get someone to weld it back in if there is an access point

Rides
    No real access. Was thinking about a rivnut but wasn't sure it would be man enough, if yours hasn't killed you yet yhat sounds ideal though thank you bud

Rides
    Is this in the front x-member or the rear mount that is shared with the arb mount?

Front it means your x-member is quite rotten and needs work. There are some holes in the back of it but you have to take the rad out to see them.

Arb the chassis rail is channel with a plate welded on the outside. Cut a hole in the plate, weld the nut and plate the hole.

Rides
    both of mine snapped, I turned up some threaded bosses on the lathe and welded them in. although you could possibly stick a riv-nut in its place.

Rides
    Ok, managed to grind bolt off and remove bracket. My rivnut gun doesn't have a big enough attachment and I don't have access to a lathe nor welder... is it safe to ream out one of the existing holes on the side of the rail until I can get a nut and spanner to the other side?

Rides
    If you're local to Bristol you can borrow my rivnut gun. It's a whopper.
    http://www.toolstop.co.uk/index.php?...FdRuGwoduj4G7w

Rides
    I am, and that would be brilliant!! Is that what you used for yours, says only up to M8 on link :-/ PM me your number and I'll drop you a text

Rides
    Any guidance as to whether having a hole on that side of the chassis rail is safe??