Thread: S14a Clutch/Gearbox

Rides

S14a Clutch/Gearbox

Hi guys. I suspect the throw out bearing(?) on my clutch has went. Can't select any gears when the car is running but can when the engine is off. When the engine is off, car in gear and clutch pedal depressed you still can't move the car. It was also making a weird humming type noise since I got the car when it was in neutral and idling (it now isn't making the noise).

The car is off the road so I'm gonna pull the gearbox off and have a look see, but I don't really know what I should be looking for, will be my first ever gearbox removal.

So: If it is the throw out bearing what should I be looking for? If it isn't and something else is broken will it be abundantly obvious? Any tips for removing the box?

Cheers

Rides
    I have similar problem mine is really impossible to select first and reverse and pretty hard on rest of gears. But when switched off I can select all of them. Let me know what it problem is m8 as I have no idea either

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Your sychro is worn out...

Basically, the motor and transmission are running in different speed...... When shifting gears, synchro is a tool to help slowing down the transmission speed in order to for the driver to shift gears......So, if you can only shift gears while motor is stop meaning that you synchro is too worn out so that they won't be able to slower down the transmission speed to match with certain engine speed

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

Rides

S14a Clutch/Gearbox

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but are there not different synchros for all the gears? I can't get it in any gear and could no problem last week, so I assumed it would be a clutch problem (clutch not disengaging to allow a gear to be selected) as opposed to a gearbox problem?

It isn't crunching, it just ain't going into gear. I tried them all and noticed with 3rd, 4th and 5th the car begins to die if you push hard enough. Clutch feels the same way it always has and no fluid leaks. It moved fine last week as said above, the car isn't on the road so lives in a garage.
    Last edited by mcleansc; 10-04-2017 at 18:47.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by andre200sxs14 View Post
    I have similar problem mine is really impossible to select first and reverse and pretty hard on rest of gears. But when switched off I can select all of them. Let me know what it problem is m8 as I have no idea either

Will do mate. Will do a write up when removing the box as well, got a new gopro so any excuse to use it ha

Rides
    Would be great if u can video the problem and fix lol. Always useful to watch fixing vidz

Rides
    https://youtu.be/0qVR6XtG_PI

Quite a useful video for anyone changing their clutch. Give you an idea of what it looks like

Rides
    Did it sort it problem m8?

Rides
    I'd say maybe the pivot ball has snapped

Does the clutch pedal still have and feel to it or just drops to the floor

Rides
    Did it sort it problem m8?

Sorry mate that was just a vid I found on Youtube to get a general idea of what I'm looking for ha! Figured if anyone was looking to swap their clutch or find out how it looks it would help.

Quote Originally Posted by autosri View Post
    I'd say maybe the pivot ball has snapped

Does the clutch pedal still have and feel to it or just drops to the floor
    Clutch feels the exact same as it always has. No fluid leaks either. Is the pivot ball part of the gearbox?

Rides
    If i were you, i would try to pull the gearbox out for inspection......i have a feeling that it is the clutch and gearbox issue but it is best if you can pull everything apart for inspection......

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

Rides
    Alrite m8 remember I had similar problem I solved it by bleeding the clutch and adjusting clutch pedal!!! 5 minute job and now all my gears work and it's smooth as anything . Give it a go might be same problem as u considering mine was crunching and won't go into 1st 5th and reverse wile engine on but when off it was ok. Now there all good no noises and very smooth gear change in all gears including reverse.

Rides

S14a Clutch/Gearbox

Alrite m8 remember I had similar problem I solved it by bleeding the clutch and adjusting clutch pedal!!! 5 minute job and now all my gears work and it's smooth as anything . Give it a go might be same problem as u considering mine was crunching and won't go into 1st 5th and reverse wile engine on but when off it was ok. Now there all good no noises and very smooth gear change in all gears including reverse.

Cheers mate actually just back in from sorting it. The clutch had stuck to the flywheel because it had been left sitting in gear for 14 months. I didn't even know that could happen. I'll read off the symptoms, if you have these do what I did:

1) Cars clutch and gearbox were fine prior to coming off the road
    2) Car has sat stationary for a while
    3) Can engage any gear with the engine off
    4) Can't engage any gear with the engine running. Won't go into forward gears, crunches reverse
    5) Can't rock/move the car when engine off, in a gear and clutch pedal depressed.
    6) Can rock/move the car in neutral.

If anyone else suffers the same symptoms jack the rear end and start it with the car in 4th gear and the clutch pedal pushed in. You'll hear a knock noise like something breaking free and then you'll have all your gears back.

Edit: Thanks Drifter editted the post as it was wrong.
    Last edited by mcleansc; 25-04-2017 at 06:58.

Rides
    Leaving it in gear isn't going to cause the clutch plate to stick to the flywheel. Unless the clutch is pressed they're always in contact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Glad u sorted. I was already looking for a new box lol. But it's actually so nice to drive now.

Rides

S14a Clutch/Gearbox

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    Leaving it in gear isn't going to cause the clutch plate to stick to the flywheel. Unless the clutch is pressed they're always in contact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oh really? Well I'm pretty clueless so just went off what a work colleague told me when he had his Landys sitting up for a while. Said it happened to him quite a few times due to the cars sitting for a long time in cold moist conditions. What he told me to do worked so I'm happy ha. Does that mean if your car is sitting somewhere cold for a while there's no real way to stop that happening?
    Last edited by mcleansc; 25-04-2017 at 06:59.

Rides
    Glad u sorted. I was already looking for a new box lol. But it's actually so nice to drive now.

I know the feeling, the gbox on my old blue sx started randomly crunching into 3rd and 4th. I was looking at new boxes then it suddenly stopped, was so weird ha