Thread: oil leak with pics

Rides

oil leak with pics

Hi there,
    Not been on here for a while but was looking for some advice. My s14a has just come back on the road after winter, and after a couple of trips I’ve noticed a couple of drops of oil on the engine floor. Now I noticed something last year, but just put this down to a messy oil change, but I think the drips are getting more frequent and I’ve yet to do the oil change this year.

Last night I crawled under the car to take a closer look. And yes the subframe is coated in oil. I took the splash guard down to take a look and managed to take a couple of pics of the offending area. It looks like it’s coming from somewhere above and on the passenger side – so opposite side to filter and where this would have trickled down. Top of the engine is clean so I’m guessing it could be turbo feeds? The engine is low mileage (47K) and running standard boost but the lines have never been replaced so they are the hard type not braided.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

this area is very clean and dry:
    [IMG][/IMG]

Now I’m not the most mechanical minded and I’m strapped for time, but I guess my initial questions are:

- Where do you think it’s most likely to be coming from?
    - What is the best way to inspect further? Is it better to try to look for this above (remove heat shield?) or below?
    - What kind of cost would you expect a competent mechanic to charge for diagnosis and fix?
    - While we’re here is it worth replacing anything else?
    - Can anybody recommend me a trust worthy garage in the beds/bucks area?

Thanks guys…

Rides
    Sr20 is common to leak oil out the front of the headgasket where the head joins onto the top of the front oil pump cover. usually on the left side near the power steering pump. they still work fine when pissing out oil so just leave it if not too bad.

best bet it to take the undertray off and go give it all a big jetwash down the local petrol station. that will clean off the years of grime/oil leak residue and allow you a better view of where its coming from.

Rides
    Rocker cover gasket?

Rides
    Cheers guys, Can I do a visual check on the rocker cover gasket from the top of the engine? TBH I did look around the head and it's very clean, but will give a closer inspection tonight...

Rides
    P/S pump?

My SR20 one was leaking. It's that "area"ish i think?

Rides
    it' smells and feels like engine oil. Would power steering fluid be completely different?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pb63 View Post
    it' smells and feels like engine oil. Would power steering fluid be completely different?
    I think you can tell the difference, so i'd rule that out!

Did you check the oil feed to the turbo and the return, they can usually weep. Failing that it could be what the other guys are saying. They are common to weep in areas on the SR20

Rides
    How can I check the turbo lines? Should I go from the top and just have a feel around? Remove the heatshield off the manifold or should I be looking from underneath? It's quite tight in there.

Rides
    the bone dry turbo oil return tells me the turbo oil feed is ok, I suspect same as rs13 its the front cover > cylinder head seal leaking
    it will possibly leak over and behind the PAS pump bracket making it seem to be the PAS pump
    my untouched stock 23k miles SR has a small weep starting from same place,my other two were same at 84k and 92k (more miles = more mess)
    there is no oil pressure in that area but it seals badly like the top edge of the front cover is machined too low and the gasket can't seal the gap
    could be rocker cover?,jet wash it clean then run it for a bit and will soon see

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDY black s13 View Post
    the bone dry turbo oil return tells me the turbo oil feed is ok, I suspect same as rs13 its the front cover > cylinder head seal leaking
    it will possibly leak over and behind the PAS pump bracket making it seem to be the PAS pump
    my untouched stock 23k miles SR has a small weep starting from same place,my other two were same at 84k and 92k (more miles = more mess)
    there is no oil pressure in that area but it seals badly like the top edge of the front cover is machined too low and the gasket can't seal the gap
    could be rocker cover?,jet wash it clean then run it for a bit and will soon see
    Thank you. I will try and have another look tonight. I'm going to give it a good feel round the front around the head and block. I checked my oil levels and they are ok. A little high perhaps which I guess wouldn't help. I'm changing the oil this week so will give it a good clean and the same time and see if the issue is still there.

Rides
    Ah yeah mine has been weeping like that for the last 11 years. It is no harm apart from the odd oil drop on the driveway. It is so little that it never registers on the dip stick level. I cleaned it off with degreaser and a power hose as after 11 years it got flagged during the yearly test. Looks brand new now and passed with flying colours again. :-)