Thread: S14 handling/geomasters.

Rides

S14 handling/geomasters.

Having originally started driving an mx5 I feel I have been somewhat spoilt with brilliant handling from the get go. When I say brilliant I mean for a car with 20year old bushes, way too low on hsd coilovers.

Having bought my s14 and spending a small fortune on suspension parts (HSD monopro; adjustable camber, toe, caster, traction arms and a full fast road alignment) it still doesn't handle like I feel it should. It's not got that same go carty confidence inspiring handling from the mx5.

Now I know it's a different car, alot bigger ect ect, and its far too low to be at the optimum handling height.. but I still would like to improve the handling as best I can.

Has anyone got experience of geomasters for grip driving? Their new geo3's have a setting for 'grip' has anyone tried this out yet?

I use the car mainly for fast road stuff, too expensive to skid I have the Mazda for that!

Rides
    I asked Driftworks about these a while back but didn't get much information.

Be good to find out more

Rides
    My initial thoughts of the S14a were bad, mine was like a boat, as in wallowy and floaty. Oh and the standard brakes are awful but thats off topic

I got HSD's and the various arms required to drop it, got it alighned and was very disappointed. What made the difference for mine was getting whiteline pineapple rings fitted to the subframe and it was night and day to be sure. Another massive step forward were godspeed ARB's. After these the car felt sorted.

Since then I have changed the pineapple rings for energy suspension bushes but it hasnt changed the feel which goes to show how effective the pineapple ring are.

next on my list are Steering Rack bushes which i hope will tighten up the slack it currently has.

I've read a whitelines article that say anything more than a 50mm drop will effect the handling negatively, S14/a related btw.
    Last edited by sx rider r17t; 07-04-2017 at 09:37.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sx rider r17t View Post
    ...anything more than a 50mm drop will effect the handling negatively, S14/a related btw.
    This is the objective behind the geomaster hubs in that they correct the arm geometry to recover the roll centre. McPherson strut suspension is very, very sensitive to roll centre change with ride height, more so than a multi-link or double wishbone because the top axis is at a fixed angle (the strut tower).

It should be nothing but positive, I don't think Geo 3s have been around all that long though so might not be many testimonials yet. I'm interested to see what they do now they have added some control over Ackerman.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sx rider r17t View Post
    My initial thoughts of the S14a were bad, mine was like a boat, as in wallowy and floaty. Oh and the standard brakes are awful but thats off topic

I got HSD's and the various arms required to drop it, got it alighned and was very disappointed. What made the difference for mine was getting whiteline pineapple rings fitted to the subframe and it was night and day to be sure. Another massive step forward were godspeed ARB's. After these the car felt sorted.

Since then I have changed the pineapple rings for energy suspension bushes but it hasnt changed the feel which goes to show how effective the pineapple ring are.

next on my list are Steering Rack bushes which i hope will tighten up the slack it currently has.

I've read a whitelines article that say anything more than a 50mm drop will effect the handling negatively, S14/a related btw.
    Sorry yeah I forgot to add I have the solid subframe collars, and rack bushes! Both of which had a massive difference like you say.

Hadnt considered arb's, Maybe that should be my next move.

I do have polybushed lower arms to go on, but am reluctant to polybush/align everything if I'm going to need hubs at a later date!

Sadly I've only really noticed the shocking handling after having a few mates buy newer cars, no problems keeping up in the straights but the corners show how far new cars have come!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by leno View Post
    Sorry yeah I forgot to add I have the solid subframe collars, and rack bushes! Both of which had a massive difference like you say.

Hadnt considered arb's, Maybe that should be my next move.

I do have polybushed lower arms to go on, but am reluctant to polybush/align everything if I'm going to need hubs at a later date!

Sadly I've only really noticed the shocking handling after having a few mates buy newer cars, no problems keeping up in the straights but the corners show how far new cars have come!
    What cars do they have? I am not that shocked by that but I also think it can be made better from what you currently have.

better ARB's really do level the car out around corners and arent expensive/hard to fit.

Rides
    What don't you actually like about the handeling

If it feels unstable your springs may be too hard for our crappy roads and your skipping across the road I found this so have gone softer springs but thicker roll bars and it's much better imo also you may have the shocks too fast or slow I found there was a sweet spot as too slow it felt like it was packing down but to quick felt like I lost a lot of grip as it wasn't controlling the springs

Rides
    Have you had your alignment double checked? I've had to go back a few times before to get it re-done as sx's are so sensitive to alignment and can feel really floaty if not bang on!

Another thing to consider is a 2 way diff, just put one in mine and its made a world of difference, esspecially to grip levels whilst cornering!

I've driven a few mx5's and no what you mean, but I don't think you'll ever match it due to size difference....

Rides
    Regarding friends cars; new civics, s3 basically anything with around the same power but with a more modern chassis.

IT seems the general consensus is to check out anti roll bars, hard race seem to be available new so I'll buy a couple and see how it goes. It was one area id not really considered!

1.5/2way diff is also something I would like to do in the future, what has everyone fitted regarding this?

An alignment is also on the cards as I've never felt it's spot on, wanted to get everything sorted beforehand though as I only want to do it once!

Wrote a very detailed reply then pressed the wrong button and deleted it like a mong

Rides
    Most if not all people fit Geomasters to drift cars to get maximum lock. Yes they include roll centre correction and ackerman but I think the main advantage is the extra steering angle. As has been mentioned 200's are already very sensitive to alignment so throw in geo's with even more adjustment and you've created a real headache for most garages. Especially if you don't know exactly what you want everything set to.

Biggest improvements I've found are fitting Hard race roll centre correction BJ's and rod ends and stopping the rear subframe moving all over the shop with poly bushes or solids. Both of these things with a professional alignment make the car handle much better. Helps not having the car crazy low as well.

Takes a lot of parts and a lot of money to get a 14 to really handle well. There are a lot of cars, new and old, that handle much better straight out the box. I totally agree with the "too stiff" comments as well. My car's way too stiff on the road but great on the race track. I'm happy with that compromise though...it's really too late for me anyway as I've kind of gone 'Full Race Car'.

Rides
    I ran Geomaster 1's on my old S14 when I was in time attack in 2012, took some setting up to different tracks, but easily done at track side with some decent monkeys operating the alignment kit of string and weights. I ran different set ups for the likes of UK tracks and my Nurburgring set up was the one I used for road driving. Having the roll centre correction at the hub is so much better than lowering at the damper side, have recently ordered a set of the Geomaster 3's for the track S15 and will be fitting the Geo 1's to my road car as had great results with them. It will all be down to whoever sets up your suspension and for what purpose you want against your driving style. I use a group of guys one South Wales called Avia Autos for all my set ups, they listen and respond to feedback until the car is perfect. However dependant of level of setup an alignment session can be anything from £40 to £400 depends on how many hours it takes and just how serious you are about your driving. I will see how the road S15 feels on the Geo 1's, and let you know, but last time I ran an aggressive set up on the road it was unpredictable at low speeds, oh and UK roads are horrendous, pot holes everywhere

Rides
    Yeah i do feel like the geomasters extra lock would be wasted on me, however it sort of feels like lowering done properly to me. The easiest way to solve these issues would be to raise the car, but that's gay.

Geo1's should be way cheaper with a few second hand sets appearing when the new ones get releaced I would have thought.. Maybe ill pick a set up after sorting the anti roll bars ECT!

Thanks for your help all!

Rides
    You will find your steering is more snappy but slightly less stable at higher speeds with the geo's but that goes for any modded knuckles that shorten the steering arm mounting, if your not using it for drifting/track use your probably better off keeping to standard knuckles and fitting the roll centre corrected balljoints and bump steer corrected track rod ends to straighten out the nasty angle your steering arms end up with when you drop a 14.

Good luck either way!