Thread: At what temp would you say it's over heating

Rides

At what temp would you say it's over heating

I was talking with a mate who has a e46 and it always seems to run hot my sr20det never goes above half way on the gauge which I'm happy with

But it started a convosation of what is too hot on an all aluminium engine

What's your guys views I said I'd class overheating as 110c but he said more than that

Rides
    If you're basing the temp on the dashboard gauge, you're wasting your time...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Yeah I was I understand it's dampened to stop it flicking all over the place but it can't be that far off surely

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by autosri View Post
    Yeah I was I understand it's dampened to stop it flicking all over the place but it can't be that far off surely
    Hmmm, don't know about the SX one, but I know early MX5 gauges either indicate cold, middle, or in the red - nothing in between! It's designed that way.

Comparing OEM gauges for relative coolant temps is madness I'm afraid. Only way to be sure is to get a decent aftermarket gauge and sender.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Rides
    My water got to 107deg on track once and it warped my lower inlet manifold. Lucky escape really.

Rides
    Might plug in my tablet and see what Nissan datascan shows as that must be accurate as the engine uses that input

I'd fit another gauge but I just don't have space to fit another in the carc

Rides
    110oC is overheating, but as already said, the dashboard gauge is little more than an indication of cold or hot. Halfway on the gauge can be anything from 50oC to 90oC (picking random numbers but that's the design) . The S14 gauge jumps from halfway to red very suddenly if anything is actually wrong, such as 110oC

Rides
    So it's not a progressive gauge so more 3 positions cold,warm,hot and that's it

Rides
    So it's not a progressive gauge so more 3 positions cold,warm,hot and that's it
    Yes; it has a good 30 degree 'dead spot' engineered into the middle of it. Cars are built for retarded owners. Retarded owners would worry about the gauge moving around in small increments - they just need to know it's cold, it's fine, it's a problem.

Rides
    your best bet is to fit an oil temperature gauge as that is really what matters.

Rides
    I've got oil temp,oil pressure,voltage, wideband and boost so running out of space

Oil never goes to 100c as I've got a thermostatic oil cooler

Rides
    to add to what's said above. 110oC is not "overheating" as in damaging the engine, but it is at the top end of temperatures you would want to see on a trackday.

The vital thing is that the coolant does not boil. Boiling coolant creates airlocks and airlocks prevent coolant flow. Boiling is bad.
    Plain water boils at approx 100oC
    Water with 30% anti-freeze boils at approx 105oC
    Water&antifreeze with a 0.9bar radiator cap to give a pressurized system, boils at approx 125oC.

Your 110oC is well below 125oC, but your radiator fan should be trying very hard to prevent temperatures getting anywhere near 125oC.

110oC is certainly pretty hot, but if that's the highest it goes on track, then not really a problem.
    In day to day driving, it should be 90oC or thereabouts, being controlled by the thermostat.

Rides
    I'm going to test my search skills now and find a graph that Mr Bennett posted some time ago. Temperature against Nissan dashboard gauge reading. Wish me luck, chaps.

Rides
    I would say you don't need a water temp gauge if you have an oil temp one.
    if all your water falls out then your dash gauge will point to the sky, then you will look over at the oil temp as that is now what is cooling your engine block.

Rides
    Nearly there, but found a very funny comment on the way

Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    the problem is the gauge behaves like a kid counting when playing hide and seek
    1,2,3,4,99 ONE HUNDRED

Rides
    OK I give up. The original was much more scientific and believable but looked something like this:

The standard S13 or S14 gauge will only move upwards from halfway when temperatures are getting intense. If a problem occurs and serious overheating is happening, the gauge can move from halfway to red within say ten seconds, which is easily missable on road or track.

Rides
    The old thread I found is here:
    http://sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?1...-guage-is-Pish

Quite an intense debate on the subject It is a TechS13 thread, but the S14 is much the same.

Rides
    Might plug in my tablet and see what Nissan datascan shows as that must be accurate as the engine uses that input

I'd fit another gauge but I just don't have space to fit another in the carc
    Plug in the PC and you will see that the ECU is reading the actual temperature which will always change depending on the situation. Whereas the dashboard gauge will be rock solid at the halfway mark. From memory it will only rise to the red at 105 and above degrees.

Now keep the PC plugged in and you will see that the ECU reads the actual speed, where as your clocks do not display actual. I can't remember the exact difference but at motorway speed your speedo is actual clocked up to display about 10mph faster than the ECU is reading.

Rides
    Sorry, I didn't see Jon's posts above! I was beaten to the punch! :-)

In essence the temp gauge on "modern" cars have 3 settings: Cold, Normal and Fuked.

Rides
    I tried to get my tablet working again but the battery is so dead it won't even charge so looks like I need a new tablet for nds1