Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: S14 as a Daily

Down in the foam, playing with the string...
    Rides
    I used mine as a daily for about 5 of the 8 years I owned it. Still miss it though. Very little else has the same level of involvement, drama and sheer fun that the car gave me.

BTW, I also used it as the family car until #2 came along. Baby seat was fine in it, even with a cage! Just pick the seat carefully...

Rides
    Used mine every day for a year or so untill​ the inevitable. Found excessive amounts of rust in the sills so ended up having to replace those. Even had receipts from a previous owner who paid lots of £££ to have them repaired. Which was a joke in itself.
    Anyway absolutely loved using it daily.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Rides
    Struggling to find a clean and not heavily modified one with a decent low amount of miles in manual but seen 2 in auto but they are hitting my budget. What would be the sort of cost for a auto to man conversion, I'm sure this has been covered elsewhere but you guys can see my situation

Rides
    No more than 1k

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Rides
    I'd imagine that's DIY as don't know if I would want to crack at t myself and get someone proper to do it

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by mcleansc View Post
    What to do is buy one. Find a garage. Put it in that and just pull lots of parts off it. Forget where you put them, call it a long term project and go out and hit it with a spanner every now and again. If you don't do that are you even a S-body owner?
    You been stalking me?!

Rides
    Being a Dailey wouldn't be able to sit in a a garage and be forgotten haha

Rides
    I've used mine as a daily for the last 11 years, and still do. My plan was always a fast road car, so no coil overs or stupidly low profile tyres, or ear bleeding exhaust for me. She is at Stage 1a and it was as far as I ever wanted to go. So I aimed to build a fast GT car. So she is still comfy and quiet. And importantly, can take a pothole and real world crappy roads with ease while keeping up a healthy pace.
    I've toured around Ireland, the UK and across Europe in it. A few trips to the Ring and back, about 4 track days per year and as my daily driver to this day.

Stupidly impractical car, like a reverse Tardis. Huge on the outside but yet tiny on the inside! My work is only 3 miles away from my house which means I get 13mpg! :-0 But on a long run I get 30mpg.
    But yet last weekend instead of bringing my wifes practical car, we loaded up my SX with all the baby stuff (well toddler), bags, food, etc. and went on a 400 mile coastal road 3 day trip. :-)

So just decide what you want in a car. And what you can live with and what you can't. "Economy" will never be a word that you will associate with an SX, so start with that thought first... ;-)
    Last edited by markcro; 11-04-2017 at 21:00.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by markcro View Post
    I've used mine as a daily for the last 11 years, and still do. My plan was always a fast road car, so no coil overs or stupidly low profile tyres, or ear bleeding exhaust for me. She is at Stage 1a and it was as far as I ever wanted to go. So I aimed to build a fast GT car. So she is still comfy and quiet. And importantly, can take a pothole and real world crappy roads with ease while keeping up a healthy pace.
    I've toured around Ireland, the UK and across Europe in it. A few trips to the Ring and back, about 4 track days per year and as my daily driver to this day.

Stupidly impractical car, like a reverse Tardis. Huge on the outside but yet tiny on the inside! My work is only 3 miles away from my house which means I get 13mpg! :-0 But on a long run I get 30mpg.
    But yet last weekend instead of bringing my wifes practical car, we loaded up my SX with all the baby stuff (well toddler), bags, food, etc. and went on a 400 mile coastal road 3 day trip. :-)

So just decide what you want in a car. And what you can live with and what you can't. "Economy" will never be a word that you will associate with an SX, so start with that thought first... ;-)
    Well if I wasn't already convinced I am now! Exactly what I'm after a fast road car. And no coilovers? I am always after good economy but if the fun outweighs I'm happier! And for the 2 weeks I owned an SX before the fun was worth it!

Rides
    Things in boxes generally don't fit.
    You can get a lot of stuff in an S14, provided they're not in boxes
    If the box fits in the boot, don't be fooled. The boot hinges will crush your cargo.
    (Great car as a daily with a few exceptions)

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Things in boxes generally don't fit.
    You can get a lot of stuff in an S14, provided they're not in boxes
    If the box fits in the boot, don't be fooled. The boot hinges will crush your cargo.
    (Great car as a daily with a few exceptions)

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk
    Yeah this is so true! A few years back I bought a new microwave oven only to find out that it wouldn't fit in the boot! So I ended up with my missus in the back seat, the microwave on the front passenger seat and the packaging folded up and in the boot. I was lucky that it was a nice day and raining!

Rides
    The amount of times I've does this is unreal. Also i keep forgetting these an extra bit right behind the seats haha

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Rides
    I find the boot quite spacious considering, especially with the spare wheel taken out.

I did have a similar experience to markcro whereby we went to B&Q and bought a garden table and chairs which needed to fit in the 200.

Needless to say I was unpacking the furniture in the car park and shoehorning it all into the boot/back. After about 15mins it was all in and away we went.

Shopping-wise it's great and I can fit more in my boot than my mate's Fiesta. I've also got a children's slide to fit in the main compartment with the passenger seat folded flat, it just needs a good bit of space to the side of the car due to the doors being so long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Teggers View Post
    I used mine as a daily for about 5 of the 8 years I owned it. Still miss it though. Very little else has the same level of involvement, drama and sheer fun that the car gave me.

BTW, I also used it as the family car until #2 came along. Baby seat was fine in it, even with a cage! Just pick the seat carefully...
    Ahh teggers, those were the days.

My 200 was my only car and I used it daily for 10 years. From stage 1 boost - stage 3 with cams and 400bhp. I loved every day of it.

Now, I have another and it's getting used daily. Sensible Mods for stage 1a and skidded at the weekends

You will not find anything as fun and painful lol

Rides
    You really don't want an impractical 2 door coupe. Just get a practical 3 door fastback hatchback RS13. (Except it will be rotten to the core)

Bought white one in 2000, did 100K in 10 years. Blue one bought 2010 with 130K now on 180K. There is a 3rd one bought 2008 with 90K now on 127K.

Convenient for the engine crane that you WILL need.

Will also take a Clarke MIG welder, you are going to need one of those as well. The compressor with 50L air tank from Aldi. 3m lengths of copper pipe or 10ft curtain poles, they fit so no need to take a hacksaw to B&Q.

Or micro camper for when you spent the rent on it once too often.

Doesn't flounder on speed cushions like Veyron and GT-R.

Makes BMW M3 turn into little dots in the rear view mirror. The last mile to my house is traffic calmed, entrance is narrowed and has a give way to traffic exiting the traffic calmed area, this is followed by about 100m of parked cars on the near side. Last Friday I was following a M3 (dunno E mark but if it's any help it had quad tail pipes). He ploughed into the traffic calmed zone bringing an oncoming car to a halt while he did slalom round it in a gap between the row of parked cars. Gets to the first speed cushion and he brakes down to 15mph and proceeds at this speed. So I overtake him and he's soon a dot in the rear view mirror that disappears.

Watfor(d), but now temp in Stutton, Zuffuk..., then temp in Armitage (Bog centre of the world)... then FINNNALY to Quarry Bonk, Brum!! puff puff.
    Rides
    I bought my 2001 14a in 2008, & ran successfully & enjoyably on & off as a daily all the way through the usual progression from factory spec, Stg 1a to 3a+. As many have said above, it's surprising just how much you can cram in, just sometimes limited by aperture dimensions, not total volume. Kept at sensible not 'scene' ride height, & on 'comfy' springs means it's not the pain in the Azz some of our cars can be. Even bought a genuine Nissan tow bar & gen roof rack, but never needed to fit either.

Off the road for an eMbArRasSinG 3+ years now, all awaiting work inc. a V. substantial bit of shell work... Can't wait to get it back. But for all the above re keeping it sensible for daily/fast road, I'm hoping I've not ruined all that by speccing it above 500hp. (Rolls eyes at self) Still keeping the rest 'sensible', (A/C, S15 seats, road tyres, etc) but hoping the drive isn't too-o Light the Fuse. Expectation is to right it off at Rockingham.

R.

Rides
    Now just a struggle to find one not to far away from me

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jackg0416 View Post
    The amount of times I've does this is unreal. Also i keep forgetting these an extra bit right behind the seats haha
    The ski-slot

Enabling 9foot curtain poles to pass through, or when heavily loaded, also ideal for three 12can beer boxes, a six man tent in its original packaging, or a child aged 3to6.

Rides
    I'm still running mine as a daily, I don't tend to need to drive it literally every day, that might change soon though so I'm not sure what to do as it does like to be driven rather than sat around...

There isn't much out there that ticks as many boxes for the price, especially one that's been slightly modified. There are other cars, 330i etc but even the E46 is so complex compared to the 200, sensors for everything and they're also aging now so will be hassle.

Rides
    Used mine for about a year and a half as a daily. Then bought an e46 a month ago to daily and only enjoy the 14 at the weekends.

The e46 is currently up for sale and iv soundproofed the crap outta the 14 in preparation for more daily duties!!
    I simply cant walk past the dam thing in the morning despite it being loud, stiff, impracticable, and expensive it is just such a joy to drive compared to almost anything else. Had a lend of a mates 33 for a while; no comparison, the s bodies are just one of the best all rounders on the roads.