Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S14 as a Daily

Rides

S14 as a Daily

Hi all, newbie here.

I know this has been covered and have read into it all but wanted to adapt it to myself and get a proper answer from proper people.
    As the titles suggests I want to get a s14 as a daily. Had one a while ago but was a rust bucket so got rid of t but loved it at the same time and want a straight and true one. Currently driving a mk5 gti golf but just feels like it missing what the s14 had. Mpg will be the same so nothing new, same with tax. I will only run it at around 250 bhp and my trips to work are 8 miles there and back. It will do some long runs for time away and shows but do have a motorbike for the sunny days. Thought mx5 but no turbo or rear seats and just don't personally like the beamers.
    Is it going to bite me in the back if innit it as a daily. Or will the smiles per gallon be worth the days it's off the road if off the road at all. Have a semi decent mechanical knowledge but don't know how to weld at all but if there is rust I will get it done as these cars are going up in price.
    Only negative is insurance really as when I was 20 with 2 years ncb it was 700 to insure now I'm 23 with 5 years ncb quotes are 900

Thanks in advance

Rides
    I used to daily mine s14a and had no really issues. A bit crap in the snow but summer tyres were partially to blame.

try adrian flux, sky insurance and greenlight if you havent already got quotes from them.

Rides
    They're fine as a daily as long as you can resist 'upgrading' out all the comforts.

Rides
    I used mine as a daily with an Rb26, buckets and full cage up to a few years ago, do it.

Rides
    Would be fine just don't **** with it

Rides
    I have a daily zenki and only real issue so far is the diff bushes but i run a welder so no surprise really.

Rides
    Wow really good feedback. Think I might as well do it. Mortgage is in 2 years so got nothing else to pay for so might as well enjoy myself. I'll have it sensibly modded. Would like to weld the diff but that'll just ruin it daily personally especially the cost in rubber

Rides
    Have had and used my S14a for a daily almost a year and a half now and honestly it's great, puts a smile on my face everyday, but I can't stress enough what's been said above, be sensible with mods and keep it comfy, my coilovers are a stupidly hard ride

Rides
    Think I know what answer I wanted when I asked the question on this forum but love the responses seems like a good place to be! If anyway wants to help more and go on gumtree and search for 200sx in cars and look at I believe the fifth one down located on totton that's what I'm looking at as it looks nicely but not stupidly modded and straight bodywork

Rides
    I've owned my 14a for 8 1/2 years now and it has been my daily for about 6 of those. I got the usual rust problems sorted and the only issue I had was when the battery went flat due to its age.

I'm now running Stage 1a which imo is more than enough to allow you to give it a good boot when required. It's maybe a tad firm on coilovers but I'm used to it now, my only gripe is that with the poly bushes on the rear subframe the diff is a bit noisy and it could really do with shimming as there feels like there is a bit of slack.

Not too bad for a near 19 year old car with ~123k miles on the clock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rides
    My S14 is gone now, but it was a daily for most of 14 years.
    In the middle of that time I also had a sensible diesel hatchback for a couple of years , and mostly ended up driving the S14 anyway.

I wish, I had modified it up to about Stage 1A power (mine was standard give or take 12psi)

I'm glad, I did not stiffen the suspension or weld the diff.

Others cars are "better" or more capable on average, but you just can't kick them round the corner when you're in the mood.

Rides
    Mine is a proper work horse, gets me to work, uni and its drifted regularly. I can live with the welder and the slightly harsh suspension.

NE and Merch Rep type Vigilant teSte's Avatar
    Rides
    Used my last one for a daily for 7 years and around 35k. Eventually the top end went. Lesson here. 5k oil changes instead of 8

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Used mine for 2 years
    Pulled it off the road for a two week engine swap. Nearly a year ago

Rides
    It will be fine if its just mildly tuned, you might want some decent seats though, mine used to kill my back on long tips.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Can't tell the difference cleanhands's Avatar
    Rides
    Not for me Clive, if it's a good one you're killing it's value, if it's a bad one it'll be horrible.

Sent from my 5051X using Tapatalk

Rides
    I doubt its an investment for a retirement plan

cars are made to be driven

Can't tell the difference cleanhands's Avatar
    Rides
    Ok, what i meant was a good one will cost a stupid amount of money, but will probably keep it's value if looked after. If depreciation isn't a concern then why start with a twenty year old Nissan? There many many cars in the price range that would​ be "better" as a daily.

Sent from my 5051X using Tapatalk

Rides
    Man. Call me a skeptical son of a gun but finding a proper rust free UK S-Body that hasn't already been welded will be nigh on impossible. If you can do it though bud, they're awesome cars. I daily'd mines for a bit with no problems... until... rust. And mines was an import. What to do is buy one. Find a garage. Put it in that and just pull lots of parts off it. Forget where you put them, call it a long term project and go out and hit it with a spanner every now and again. If you don't do that are you even a S-body owner?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuts View Post
    Used mine for 2 years
    Pulled it off the road for a two week engine swap. Nearly a year ago
    Standard.. i know your pain.