Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheeled ocean liner purchase

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides

Wheeled ocean liner purchase

Realised the other day that my 135i was a bit good and a bit expensive to keep smashing 20K miles onto a year. Business is also going quite well so I thought it was time to treat myself .......

First up was a test drive of an Alfa Giulia QC - amazing car, very quick and felt lovely on the road. Unfortunately test drive was pretty short and didnt give me much of a chance to open it up much but if it had been 45K Id have put a deposit down there and then. Unfortunately £65K and a £22K GFV doesnt add up.

Next was an M2, I manged to find one to drive but when I told them I wasnt going to buy for at least 6 week they said they'd rather not put miles on it, fair enough I suppose. Beautiful car but pretty uninspiring interior, no way to turn TC fully off and 11 month waiting list ........ and still a crap GFV, how does that work?
    Also much slower than my current steed, doubt it would handle as well either.

Considered Cayman 987/981 but then realised there is no point in having to make a decison which car youre going to take to the Nurburgring, particularly if one is depreciating heavily. So the decision to buy a diesel luxobarge was made!

Following an epic FB thread narrowed choices down to Range Rover, Jag XJ/XF, 7 Series BMW or a phat Merc. Realised I already have a Range Rover, tested an XJ but it didnt ride that well (big wheels), XF would be great as a single car but wasnt really special enough, Mercs were all a bit too sensible or V8 and mega juicy. Drove an E65 730d and loved it, but then this happened:

For those that dont do a recognise on sight (why would you, theres only 64) its a V10 VW Phaeton. Some specs:

V10, twin turbo diesel - 308hp, 550 lb/ft at 2K RPM
    Air suspension, 4 damping settings, 2 ride heights
    18 way electrically adjustable seats with heat, aircon, 6 way adjustable lumbar and massage
    Draughtless 4 zone climate control, passive heating (wood slides down over the air vents)
    Double glazing, 4WD, intelligent gearbox, HBA, EBD, CDC, ASR, ESP, EDL, ABS

And its genuinely awesome - the only car that rides like it is a Rolls, its faster than my brothers 123d and over 100 getting on for as quick as my 430hp 135i and is returning over 30mpg despite being driven like you drive a new car :lol:
    totally silent at 80mph, totally isolated from the road, its a weird experience.

Even the missus likes it, its easily the best luxobarge Ive ever traveled in and the best Bahnstormer Ive driven - looking forward to a quick jaunt over to Ostend next week and I bet it doesnt even notice it. Only concern is if anythign goes wrong (a single injector is £1K and it has 10, for instance) but you only live once right?
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Nice Passat

BTW you can get 2nd hand injectors for less than £100 each
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides

Rides
    nice under stated beast,perfect for drug running pimping smuggling arms etc
    I remember the brief was something it had to be near silent at top speed and frosty cold AC in Mohave desert temps
    black rims and a bit of lows would look sweet imo

Rides
    A mate had a Phaeton after a TT and all our non car mates assumed hed fallen on hard times and bought a Passat lol. Did everything beautifully but in anonymity as no one looked at it twice, ideal if your planning a heist!
    Very special well engineered car just not flash, I'm fact possibly the opposite to the Alfa! Which is achingly pretty but you wouldnt bet your lunch money on it being well built or reliable lol

Rides
    All the torques!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MEL View Post
    All the torques!
    Doc on the way to work

Rides
    Phaeton a bit rare for tuning I guess?,but a Touareg TDI re mapped it's claimed 409 bhp and 670 lb/ft
    http://www.perfect-touch.co.uk/vw-to...v10-tdi-remap/

Can't tell the difference cleanhands's Avatar
    Rides
    One of those cars no one will "get" til they ride in it.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanhands View Post
    One of those cars no one will "get" til they ride in it.
    Totally, even as a massive fan of the engineering I didnt exect it to be half as good as it is. I had to give the missus power of veto over it, dangerous following a 2.5 hour drive to pick it up ...... not only did she like it, she then drove it all the way home including a tear up with an R8 at one point

Only modding that will go on is to get bluetooth sorted, maybe a tablet install ........ and thats it, Im not even going at look at wheels. Question for those saying remap - in what situation is 553 lb/ft not enough?
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    Doc on the way to work

Nah, this is doc on the way to work

Doc at work

Doc collecting his cheddar on the way home.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    Question for those saying remap - in what situation is 553 lb/ft not enough?
    Lets revisit this in 3-6 months

Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Thanks Mark, thanks a lot

As for the pimp thing, obviously, this will be playing on my way home tonight:

https://youtu.be/u4mL1hDcraA

1.09 onwards.

Rides
    Nice

Rides
    Bet that engine weighs more than my entire car. Would be better if it came with a "driver" so you didnt need to keep drinking redbull to stay awake while piloting it.

Rides
    If anyone ever questions why you bought it, just show them the boot hinges.

Rides
    Congratulations on your retirement

You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

And if you can't fix it with a hammer,you've got an electrical problem!

Rides
    I like it. Which window will the "SXOC Support Vechicle" sticker be going in

Rides
    It will probably be going to Le Mans, so the back window I guess

For anyone that hasnt seen the boot hinges, these sum up the overengineering on this hearse:

Rides
    wow thats impressive.