Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best engine oil for sr20det?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazwould View Post
    Castrol Edge 5W30 .

Castrol Edge 5W40 is 502.00 505.00 505.01

Castrol Edge 5W30 is 504.00 507.00 and out performs the above on 5 oil performance parameters inc wear .

Plus also being a LongLife oil it will be in a better condition near the end .

But you don't have to be Brand slag , Castrol although approved has a clever 4L marketing trick .

The bargain approved is Quantum LongLife III and is made at the same refinery in Gent , Belgium .
    I am happy to use something else if I know it's good. Where can I get said quantum oil from?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Probably an ester 5W40 dan .

Quantum - the bay of gay .

Rides
    I'd never use 5w40 tbh, I was recommended a fully synthetic 10w40 by Horsham

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by leno View Post
    I'd never use 5w40 tbh, I was recommended a fully synthetic 10w40 by Horsham

What benefit does 10w-40 give you over 5w-40?

Rides
    I assume it doesn't thin out as much at higher temperatures, meaning I have higher oil pressure at idle ect ect. Best ask Horsham if you want the technical details, they know Sr's better than me so I just went on their recommendation

Rides
    A single grade is too a crude measurement of viscosity considering a grade has a range of 3-4 Centistokes. So at opposite ends you could call thick and thin 40 etc .

Depending on quality a 40 could protect more than a 50 .
    As a higher quality ester oil would be more thermally stable , contain better oil basestocks and additive package containing more ZDDP .

However regardless of quality a 5W will flow and circulate faster upon start up than a 10W .

Most 10W40 on the market are semi synthetic anyway.

Rides
    Fuchs titan race pro 10W/50 is what I've used for mine for years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    I've used Silkolene/Fuchs Pro S 5w40 for the last 11 years in mine. The manual actually recommends 5w30!

Rides
    It's alrite guys I went out and bought petronas syntium 3000e 5w40. Been told it's good so thought I'd get it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Rides
    It's ok the most complete spec it has is MB229.5 but Petronas Syntium 5000 AV will beat it for anti wear .

Rides
    I always use motul 300v 15-50 but then my car is track only so get hammered.

Rides
    Is any of this stuff any good? I am tempted to stock some for the MR2.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Yes its fine, the 5w30 ford spec is a fuel economy oil so avoid that but the 5w40 would be ok.

Ester oils are a waste of money especially if you change it every 3k miles like so many seem to do (which is stupid as well). You are literally just throwing very good expensive oil away.

Just buy an oil of the right grade and spec for about £20-30 for 5L, stick it in the car and leave it for 6k miles minimum (you could do 10k easily with todays oils). 5w40 for road and some light track work, up it to a 50 grade for a track car. if you go for a 15w oil let it warm up for longer from cold as it will be like treacle compared to a 5w
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    I have and always will buy Fuchs Titan Race Pro S 10W-50 Ester Fully Synthetic Engine Oil. I was advised, by Opie oils, to use this many years ago and 50k miles later I'm still using it. Unlike most oils you can actually see it on the dipstick as it's red in colour. Not the only reason to buy it but this, a K&N oil filter and a magnetic drain plug make oil changes a doddle. I'd be happy to leave it in a while but the car's mainly used for track duties so it gets swapped out every other track day. I was tempted to try the Millers nano-gubbins-thingy-ma-stuff when it came out a while back but it's quite a bit more expensive and I see absolutely no reason to change from the Fuchs lubricant.