Thread: V10 VW Phaeton - what do you know?

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides

V10 VW Phaeton - what do you know?

Decided I need a smooth riding barge to get me to work and back as Im smashing the miles on my 135i, drove a V10 Tdi Phaeton yesterday and was genuinely impressed

However, apart from the missus not liking them (dont really care, she has never even seen one) I have slight concerns that if it was to go wrong it might be a bit scary. Anyone know anything about them at all, surprisingly there doesnt seem to be a lot of online support for them in the UK ........
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    The v10 diesel has enough torque to turn the planet backwards... assuming it actually spins... er.. if you see what i mean...

Rides
    Speak to Stiv, think he brought one across as tow vehicle to the weekender the other year and his garage has experience in them.
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

Rides
    Amusingly its about the same as my BMW but is about 800 rpm lower. I can believe it.
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

SXOC Trader - Walton Motorsport walton_motorsport's Avatar
    Rides
    I have the Touareg with the same V10 engine, Mine has no DPFs and a map to make 740 lbs/ft of torque and 390bhp. it goes very very well for a big car. So far engines been fine, even with that power, although they eat tyres and bushings. its a small price to pay.

Rides
    Aren't they abit tricky with maintenance, with a fair few jobs needing the engine to be dropped out?

SXOC Trader - Walton Motorsport walton_motorsport's Avatar
    Rides
    for things like turbos you do need to remove the engine, but everyday servicing etc then its fairly straightforward. Not really a car for someone who's scared of repair bills though

Rides
    Nice one, Ive been offered a 12 month all parts warranty for £300 as well so might well take that up too. Sweet car, hopefully picking up this weekend ....... Im actually a bit excited

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Awesome. Love the look of the phaeton and would be a candidate for my next daily if they did an estate version.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Will it fit down the drive?

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Rides
    Easy, I got a 7.5 Tonner up there the other day. Admittedly the wing mirrors were folded in and I had about 3 fag papers on either side, but a Phaeton is about 3 cm smaller than a Lorry .........

Rides
    Big fan of the Phaeton actually, and Scottie it was the ToeRag that Stiv had (same engine though).

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Will it fit down the drive?
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    Easy, I got a 7.5 Tonner up there the other day. Admittedly the wing mirrors were folded in and I had about 3 fag papers on either side, but a Phaeton is about 3 cm smaller than a Lorry .........
    Phaetons must be able to park themselves. They must do. Some cheap new cars park themselves. Just hop out outside the pub and tell the car to go home.