Thread: Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sport - opinions?

Rides

Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sport - opinions?

We've got a trade-in at work that I've been offered for a grand, and my only experience of Saabs so far has been horrendous - I dabbled with a 9-5 3.0 V6 diesel which ended up with blown head gasket and dropped a liner.

Car I've been offered is a 2006 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sport 150hp manual saloon with only 68k miles. It's pretty tidy bodywork wise apart from a bash on the N/S/F wing and a bash on the bootlid which I can fix myself for pecanuts. I would have much preferred an estate for dogs and prams since I've got a bambino on the way, but beggars can't be choosers.

Anyone had much experience of them? Just looking for any major problems to worry about, what fuel economy is like etc. My mate's dad has one and he's convinced it's the best car in the world, but he had a Mondeo before that which was also the best car in the world so I can't rely on his opinion.

I'm commuting in an 09 Fiesta 1.4 TDCi just now and it's a nice looking car but not as economical as it should be considering how dreadfully slow it is, and it doesn't feel as if it should ever go above 70mph. Just fancy getting some cash back in the bank and a nicer car to drive for similar running costs.

Rides
    Currently running a '59 reg 150tid sportwagon. Tbh it drives like a lorry compared to other stuff I've had but it's comfy enough. I generally see high 40s mpg wise, can even get 51 on a long motorway run.

Just rolled over to 111111k, I've put 14kish on it since getting it. 'Limited Performance' has come on on startup all that time but it doesn't feel especially limited.

If it's not recently had a cambelt and water pump best do those, they're a weak link. DPF also commonly reported as an issue, not sure if that applies to an '06.
    power-crazed Head-Mod

Rides
    Thanks for the advice Bob. The car sold over the weekend, so I might start looking out for an estate instead. Seem to get loads of car for the money, and anything I can't fix myself I've got a mechanic friend who does a timing belt and water pump on those engines for not much more than £100.