Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: S15 v gt86

Rides

S15 v gt86

I have decided to sell my 180sx as it is too modded and too high maintenance for me at this moment in time.

I can't seem to decide between a gt86 or s15 as my next car. I want something fairly low maintenance and it doesn't have to be hugely fast.

If I get an s15 it will be staying more or less stock. Maybe a bit mapping but all the hardware will be staying stock unless something breaks then I would upgrade it.

I feel like a gt86 would maybe be less maintenance and more useable as a daily but you guys might know better than me.

I would love to test drive both but s15's aren't exactly everywhere.

Opinions people?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Rides
    an s15 is basically an s14 in a frock. all the running gear is the same.

if it were me and I was looking for a more sensible car I would go for the gt86.

Rides
    I do love the way s bodies drive. My main concern is that it will just be a money pit.

That answer is pretty meaningful though considering this is an s body forum....

Rides
    are gt86's not 10k+ still?? ive not looked for a few years... go and take one for a test drive and see how it is.

an s15 is going to be 18 odd years old at best. most 'normal' people would not consider a car of that vintage to be a wise investment for reliability.

Rides
    gt86 is a good car, i considered one before i got the 5.

Its not mega quick, but handles well and feels relatively light - as it kind of is. Pretty good fun, wont break and wont cost a bomb to run.
    I passed on it because of the lower rent interior, lack of toys and the roof cant come off

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13 View Post
    an s15 is basically an s14 in a frock. all the running gear is the same.
    Apart from the various bits of the engine, the turbo, the gearbox and the diff you mean?

How much money have you got to throw at 'reliable car' Seanyboy? In all honesty, the depreciation on GT86's isn't terrible by 'new' car standards, but it's still going to be lumpier than that which you're experiencing now. S15's are rare and pricing remains fairly strong. Buying one at reasonable money could be a quite sound (relatively speaking) investment - all remaining 'as is' with sterling to yen of course.

I have been in a GT86 on track and I have to say I thought it was tight, well behaved and a good all round package. The lap wasn't exactly huge but the GT86 wasn't a million miles behind the 3 x 996 Carrera 2's that were on the same circuit on the same day.

Rides
    I have about 10K that I would like to spend and struggling to decide between the two of these. I see pros and construction to both.

S15
    Looks better (debatable)
    Less depreciation
    More power
    Rarer

Gt86
    More reliable
    Cheaper daily running costs
    More modern (although not many more mod cons)

I don't see gt86's depreciating at too alarming a rate from here on in but I don't see s15's depreciating at all.

The running costs are sort of offset by the depreciation.

Rides
    And when I say reliable, it doesn't have to be a Volvo 😂😂. I have worked on cars all my life and am an engineer to trade I just don't want to spend every weekend tinkering with a car while my child is young.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by seanyboy1991 View Post
    And when I say reliable, it doesn't have to be a Volvo ����.
    Wot u got against Volvos bruv? U n me av words.

Personally I'd go with the GT86 for a couple of years as a) you won't tinker with it (which let's be honest you will with an S15), b) it's more of a 'fixed cost of ownership' model where you know roughly what it's going to cost you for the years you have it. You can always revisit car choices when you've more time on your hands after little one gets a bit older (like, say, 22 years time?).

Rides
    This isn't going to be a very helpful answer but it would have to be an S15 all day long, the thing that lets the GT86 down for me is the lack of turbo

Rides
    Lack of turbo is no great shakes in a light car, in fact i am done with puffers for the time being.

The 86 will also hand a stockish s15 its ass in the twisties, its ride and comfort will be miles better and it will use less fuel plus loads safer.

Lets face it the s15 and 14 are early 90s era designs... ancient.

Forget about the s15 and get the gt86 ND5

Rides
    Another option is to pick up a nice late imported DC5 for decent enough money. They're bulletproof, good fun, frugal, good looking, and relatively depreciation proof.

Rides
    But fwd arry....... bad times 😂😂😂

Picking between these two has to be one of the most difficult decisions. They both cover what I want well which is a slidey, pretty coupe.

I kept being drawn to 335I BMW's but I can't lose the hatred I have for BMW's. So boring. I even considered a Vauxhall vxr8 but they seem like they would get expensive as they supposedly rust badly and break gearboxes.

The only real deciding factor for me just now is whether a stock s15 would be reliable. I would definitely keep it stock for the time being.....I swear.....

Rides
    Running costs genuinely aren't a big factor it is more big expensive/time consuming issues that I worry about. Or things that put it off the road periodically.

I have my beautiful Kia family car to keep running costs down. My toy car spends 90% of the time on the driveway.

Rides
    Length of ownership will be key here.

If you are looking at a 10 yr timeline, I'd say get an S15. You won't get chance again. 10 yrs from now, an S15 will be worth more than a GT86 and purchase cost right now will be less for the same condition model.

The downside, is it will cost you slightly more to invest in the car but you will get it back in the long run.

Rides
    If you can suck up FWD then the Fiesta ST is a great choice also - although having power going to the front wheels made my willy shrink back up to my baws so i rulled it out quickly.
    Good car though if you like scrabble... which you shouldnt... but many do but many like felching as well so....

Rides
    I plan on owning whatever I buy long term and spending my money maintaining it rather than chasing huge power figures as I am getting too old to be racing hot hatches down the motorway 😂😂.

I unfortunately can't accept fwd on a sports car. Not ever. No chance. ****ing hate scrabble me....

Rides
    How many times have we all said "I'm keeping this car for a long time and not modding it" though eh 😂😂

Rides
    I did. I had a 4 yr old S13 with no intention to mod it.

I kept it standard for 8 years and then modded it for 10 yrs and sold it 6 months ago.

Rides
    Show off..... 😂😂😂