Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Family car time part 2

Can't tell the difference cleanhands's Avatar
    Rides
    My mum has a 125bhp ecoboost fiesta, personally I think it's a great little engine and the Mountune kit gives it 180lbs/ft at 2800 RPM. My only criticism is the intergalactic gearing, but then that would make it better for those long drives.
    Wouldn't entertain a diesel now, what is banning them from cities going to do for depreciation?

Sent from my 5051X using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    The 1 litre ecoboost is abit puny in the Focus, the (real world) fuel consumption isn't great, although not terrible.

I still don't understand why they don't put that engine in the KA, because Vauxhall are shoving their 1ltr Turbo in the Adam and it go's really well.
    Because the KA+ (as the new one is called) is for bargain basement motoring and if they stick a decent engine in it then it will be the same price as a Fiesta.

Quote Originally Posted by saddened View Post
    have you driven any of those?
    Every single one The 125 ecoboost is fine but you do have to work it a bit more than in the Fiesta. The 180ps 1.5 doesnt hang about and real world is not that much slower than the ST. Again with the diesels the 120ps is ok for what it is but the 2.0 is the one to get.

As for the price they are in line with rivals like the 308, its not like you are paying BMW money for one.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Mark works in Ford's power train development department iirc. He's likely had a hand in and experience of everything he mentioned

Edit: didnt realise this had gone to the 2nd page

Rides
    What are we calling bad mpg? I’m getting 41.9mpg out of my 125ps focus which I did not think was bad. goes up over 42mpg on a run. If you go around with your right foot planted to the floor, then yeah it goes down very quick but so would any other car. I can only compare this to my S15 which was in the low 20's (from what I can remember) and my wife’s 1.4t A1 which is in the mid to high 30's.
    Like the car, a lot more than I thought I would to drive too which is a surprise. not had a problem with boot space or space in general. Engine is left a bit wanting when you have 4 adults in the car... fine with 2 and a kid though.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MEL View Post
    Mark works in Ford's power train development department iirc. He's likely had a hand in and experience of everything he mentioned

Edit: didnt realise this had gone to the 2nd page
    I'm as shocked as you, Mel, haha, I'm normally a thread killer. It's certainly given me a lot to think about and relay to the Mrs.

Her view has softened on estates slightly now in that she is open to taking a look at them, hurrah.

Rides
    I had a 12 plate Golf 1.6 diseasel for a while and I have to say it was one of the worst cars I have ever driven, depressingly slow, wallowy and boatlike handling, economy nowhere near as good as I was expecting, etc. Absolutely hateful thing.
    It was replaced with a 16 plate focus 1.5 diesel (120 bhp one) and it's a breath of fresh air compared to the golf.

Rides
    My mrs 54 plate focus is one of those cars that just won't die. It gets treated like shit and still keeps on going happily along. Never caused us any problems, ever reliable.

Only thing that has gone wrong in 7yrs of ownership is the boot struts died, cost less than £15 to replace iirc, the drivers side rear door lock sometimes doesn't open first time but we just reach from the front door. It hasn't been serviced in well over 4yrs ( )and really only does short journeys. We scared the life out of it by taking it camping in the land of potato growers but it still performed admirably.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanhands View Post
    Wouldn't entertain a diesel now, what is banning them from cities going to do for depreciation?
    Until several of the large cities start properly doing it you just can't tell really.

Especially as they might just start coming down on the older models.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Because the KA+ (as the new one is called) is for bargain basement motoring and if they stick a decent engine in it then it will be the same price as a Fiesta.
    ah that makes sense.
    I heard they were thinking of dropping the KA+ anyway as the margins in that sector are so small it's not worth the effort??