Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Science, Critical Thinking and Scepticism... What do the people of the SXOC think?

Rides
    Do you believe in hell fire and damnation then too ?

Rides
    Did anybody watch the full Intelligence Squared debate with Ann Widdecombe, Stephen Fry and others? It's quite a long on about is the Catholic church a force for good in the world.

I am learning to find wonder in the science of the world - I think it's every bit as amazing in reality as it is as described by any number of millenia old texts - but it's not so organised or dumbed down, so perhaps not as accessible?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Do you believe in hell fire and damnation then too ?
    Depends on the heat level, but yeah fire and brimstone usually.

Rides
    Regarding why intelligent people believe: fear is powerful. The fear of nothingness is pretty overpowering and, put simply, it's easier to just hope for an afterlife than to push forward through life thinking it's all an act of futility as ultimately everything will return to being stardust.

Just a suggestion. I don't think people are stupid for believing in God, but I do think some people are stupid for condemning the activities of others based on what their religion tells them.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilchap View Post
    Did anybody watch the full Intelligence Squared debate with Ann Widdecombe, Stephen Fry and others? It's quite a long on about is the Catholic church a force for good in the world.

I am learning to find wonder in the science of the world - I think it's every bit as amazing in reality as it is as described by any number of millenia old texts - but it's not so organised or dumbed down, so perhaps not as accessible?
    Yes. It is most excellent.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Religion

I was kinda getting really concerned at the point God stole a rib from Adam to make Eve. In the middle of the night while the poor bloke slept. He could of at least asked or requested it.

Then Eve appeared already of age and not once did Adam ask where the **** did you come from coz I've been tending to this garden all my life and I could sure have done with the help a lot sooner and by the way where did you get those? (think about it)

God then points out to his newly created child already of age that she can have any fruit from any tree.......except one and then points it out to her. Rocky mistake oh maker of man.

Then and this is the bit that I was like Na I'm out its all just stupid, a ****ing talking snake appeared!!!! Now I ****ing hate snakes I'll run off screaming like a girl but if one started talking to me well..........

Jim Jeffreys makes some very funny but extremely valid points in his stand ups. eg.Why if the great book written by Word of God that has everything in it, then why were we not told the earth was round. Oh but but this verse and that verse. This verse and that verse were written so obscurly that you can make it say anything you want it to say. It also seems to be very one sided. I mean the "devil" might be being the bigger man, not like he has several books out condemning God who actually killed more people then the devil alone including women and children and animals because he got "upset"

Thing is I find it hard to believe, I mean come on two attempts at the same story 400years apart because some Pope and his mates had more merit. Really.

Right or wrong that's just my thoughts.

9/11 sure looks a bit sus in places I mean who the **** records the last phone conversation they might get from a loved one who thinks like that at the time it would take me at least a few mins to find and set up the equipment to record the message and its the last thing im thinking about if it's my family saying there last good byes. So who the **** was listening and why was it being recorded. Unless of course they had prior inside knowledge.

Are we alone. Hell no. Are they intelligent enough to reach us or think we are worth it probably not. Our understanding of life is limited to our solar system.
    Last edited by auz200sx; 02-02-2017 at 09:35.

Rides
    No one has said if 2pac is alive yet

I believe J and all his buddies existed and probably he did one or two things that were seemed as amazing in that time. It then got blown out of proportion and someone wrote it down in a book and created one of the first books of fiction. In a thousand years time someone might find a copy of the lord of the rings and suddenly Frodo is the messiah
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    I love the fact the book of revolutions was written on an island well known for it's magic mushrooms.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    No one has said if 2pac is alive yet

I believe J and all his buddies existed and probably he did one or two things that were seemed as amazing in that time. It then got blown out of proportion and someone wrote it down in a book and created one of the first books of fiction. In a thousand years time someone might find a copy of the lord of the rings and suddenly Frodo is the messiah
    https://youtu.be/LmHSPI7ZkRk

Rides
    Ah religion...

I grew up in a very good Irish Catholic family. We used to go to church every Sunday, and my Mum still does. However, for me, religion died along with my Dad back when I was 12. I witnessed my entire family praying endlessly for some sort of miracle at the time and yet nothing obviously was going to save him. If that was supposed to be a test of faith then it was one in exceptional poor taste :| However, I still like to believe that some sort of God actually does exist, although I can't actually tell you why.

It amuses me immensely that there could be a point when you die that you do indeed "meet your maker" and find out that the religion you may have followed all your life was the "wrong" one lol

I like the idea of Buddhism, where if you fcuk up you get reincarnated as something else until you're deemed worthy enough to attain Nirvana.

and remember...

(One for ***** I feel )

As for alien life I think this sums it up nicely for me:-

https://youtu.be/yq4uCWtQE24
    SXOC Member #62SXOCCar Gone & ZX-12RPS4 - AFKAN
    Pessimists are people without dreams. dhún an doras ar do bhealach amach...Wii - 2031 7909 3288 5367
    Gamers Read This...

Rides
    Thats the bit i dont understand the most, if there is a God (or Gods) then why does bad shit happen to those who worship him? Surely all the non believers should be getting cancer and losing their jobs and being made homeless? If i looked up to someone and they treated me like shit I would soon see the light and tell them to fook off

Also whats the difference between religion and a cult? 2 peas in the same pod IMO.
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Also whats the difference between religion and a cult? 2 peas in the same pod IMO.
    A cult doesn't have to be religious. Cults are technically devotion or veneration to a person or entity, not necessarily a "God". The Beatles had a cult following by definition, that doesn't mean that their fans thought they were Gods.
    Last edited by zeppelin101; 02-02-2017 at 12:41.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin101 View Post
    Cults are technically devotion to a person or entity.
    And a religion?

Yes I know we use the Cult word when referring to famous people and bands etc but I am talking about the ones you hear about (mainly in the states) where people follow an 'organisation'.

See the only difference I can see is religions worship a made up entity and cults worship some nutjob who thinks they are a God.

Also who deems what is a religion?
    Mark is right.

Rides
    You could argue religion is also devotion or veneration to a person or entity (regardless of whether they exist)

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    You could argue religion is also devotion or veneration to a person or entity (regardless of whether they exist)
    You don't have to be devoted to be religious though. Someone can believe that a God exists but not be devoted to them - if that makes sense? But you could ask if that makes you religious...

I suppose that a Priest and the like could be classified as a devotee to God however.

Interesting question about how you decide what is and isn't a religion though, I have no idea!
    Last edited by zeppelin101; 02-02-2017 at 13:32.

Rides
    You can be a theist, with being religious. Believing there is something out there doesn't mean you have to take on anybody elses version of things - and yours is as likely to be right as any other. If it's a belief, and lacks evidence, then you're on the company of many religions and cults, and entirely welcome to believe what you like, and how you like to my mind.

I do wish something like that Red Dwarf news item would happen though, some day. It'd be great for a laugh

Going back to my previous post about the natural wonder of the universe, and not believing in anything I cannot see evidence or proof of... who is up on this:

https://www.iter.org/

All of the rubbish our there can't compete with how amazing it is that we're actually building that sort of stuff at the moment, and yet it's the nonsense which gets the following and attention. It's nuts!

Rides
    Terry Pratchett, bless the daft old puff, had an interesting take on what makes a religion. Read Small Gods. It's a good read AND it posits the idea that Gods are nothing without belief.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Rides
    ...Yes I know we use the Cult word when referring to famous people and bands etc
    I spell it with an n

A cult is a church not a belief.

Christianity is a belief.
    Catholic, Protestant, seventh day Adventist, Mormon, Methodist are churches.

Judaism is an anomaly.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanhands View Post
    People who vehemently state there is no god are just as ridiculous as those who state there is. Belief is something else, if it gives you comfort then who am I to say it is wrong.
    I neither believe or disbelieve.

But I do go to church once in a while. I enjoy the sense of peace you can get. I don't pray. I just sit there. And enjoy the peacefulness

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    But I do go to church once in a while. I enjoy the sense of peace you can get. I don't pray. I just sit there. And enjoy the peacefulness
    I can get that sitting on the toilet, and a great deal of satisfaction at the same time.