Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Science, Critical Thinking and Scepticism... What do the people of the SXOC think?

Rides
    Thank you for your explanation I'm well aware how we are told GPS systems work and flight tracker, my point regarding flight tracker is we are told there are over 3000 satellites in orbit, multiple methods of high tech communication systems, planes are still disappearing from the southern hemisphere on the map of the globe in 2020.

Rides
    You’re talking absolute shyte.

Again.

Rides
    Perhaps "empty sea" isn't particularly interesting enough, commercially nor militarily, to put a satellite in orbit purely for a commercial airliner to ping a tracker with.

Rides
    What does the number of GPS satellites have to do with planes disappearing?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    What does the number of GPS satellites have to do with planes disappearing?
    Nothing at all, and there are 24. Galileo also has 24, because GPS is US military and can theoretically be turned off selectively (i.e. over a region on a per-satellite basis) at any time. You would need coverage for the plane to talk to other systems, which requires (at least) a satellite to point at the Southern Indian Ocean purely so commercial aircraft can say hello. Perhaps BA shareholders would like to fund a few hundred mill for it? Perhaps it's not commercially justifiable.

Rides
    Oh I’m aware stoofer, it was aimed at Leon.

Interesting you should bring up Galileo. Another billion quid we will never get any benefit from thanks to Brexit.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by stoofer View Post
    Nothing at all, and there are 24. Galileo also has 24, because GPS is US military and can theoretically be turned off selectively (i.e. over a region on a per-satellite basis) at any time. You would need coverage for the plane to talk to other systems, which requires (at least) a satellite to point at the Southern Indian Ocean purely so commercial aircraft can say hello. Perhaps BA shareholders would like to fund a few hundred mill for it? Perhaps it's not commercially justifiable.
    Surely they can spare one of the 3000 satellites to point at the southern Indian Ocean and if not they could launch one.

The cost of a boeng 747-8 is $350 million, you can apparently launch a satellite for $10 million, so for the whole aviation industry it would be Penny's relatively for them to have full coverage, and know the exact location of their aircraft in the southern hemisphere as they do in the northern hemisphere, for example Fly Be's tax bill is about $150 million and they are a small airline.
    Last edited by LeonatLarge; 14-01-2020 at 18:41.

Rides
    There are not 3000 satellites cruising around looking for things. What is your malfunction?

You’re also not considering the cost of the satellite itself.

Rides
    GPS DOES cover the whole earth. Jesus wept.

Rides
    GPS DOES cover the whole earth. Jesus wept.
    I'm well aware of that, we are talking about flight tracker now not GPS, how is it relevant if one of your gods is crying? You have used that strange phrase once before on here.

Rides
    There are not 3000 satellites cruising around looking for things. What is your malfunction?

You’re also not considering the cost of the satellite itself.
    Agreed, I didn't say there was 3000 satellites looking for things ?

I just said that there are 3000 satellites I also made it quite clear that you can apparently launch a satellite for $10 million,even if it was 10 times that amount it would still be Penny's for the aviation industry as a whole.

Rides
    You have just mistaken GPS for GSM / LTE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by stoofer View Post
    Agreed, there is a southern hemisphere.
    You know what hemispheric means

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonatLarge View Post
    Surely they can spare one of the 3000 satellites to point at the southern Indian Ocean and if not they could launch one.

The cost of a boeng 747-8 is $350 million, you can apparently launch a satellite for $10 million, so for the whole aviation industry it would be Penny's relatively for them to have full coverage, and know the exact location of their aircraft in the southern hemisphere as they do in the northern hemisphere, for example Fly Be's tax bill is about $150 million and they are a small airline.
    If you are talking about the Malaysian Airlines flight, the transponder was switched off

Perhaps it fell off the edge of the flat earth

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    If you are talking about the Malaysian Airlines flight, the transponder was switched off

Perhaps it fell off the edge of the flat earth

No, the transponder didn't fall off flight 370, a flock of Pterodactyl flew into the aircraft damaging the transponder and the engines.

Rides
    I misread, I though the 3000 reference was about looking.