Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Science, Critical Thinking and Scepticism... What do the people of the SXOC think?

Rides
    I had the same sort of experience with The Ragged Trousered Philanthopist

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Rides
    And this shows up a big difference between soft subjects and true science.

You can use critical thinking on all soft subjects. The exam answer depends on who is marking the paper.

You can't apply it to maths and true sciences. Things like Newtons laws and Laplace transforms and does the Earth orbit the sun and do chicks hatch from hens eggs are not up for debate.

And then there is the grey area of engineering for things like crack propagation and heat transfer, where the physicists have thrown in the towel, claim it's beneath them, gone off to explore the really BIG questions and left it to engineers to come up with empirical methods. It works so we use it with caution and safety factors. We are open to new methods that give a more reliable prediction and we have 1000's of tests and events that we can use to verify a new method against.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by skyshack View Post
    And this shows up a big difference between soft subjects and true science.

You can use critical thinking on all soft subjects. The exam answer depends on who is marking the paper.

You can't apply it to maths and true sciences. Things like Newtons laws and Laplace transforms and does the Earth orbit the sun and do chicks hatch from hens eggs are not up for debate.
    What a load of bollox the earth orbiting the sun has nothing to do with chickens hatching from eggs.

For example the vast majority of people have seen a chicken hatching from an egg but "Nobody" has seen the earth orbiting the sun.

It is not up to the plebs what is up for debate people can/do and will debate whatever they want this is what is known as "free will" in my opinion free will is not conforming to the will of others.
    Last edited by leonatlarge; 17-03-2017 at 10:38.

Rides
    I have seen the earth orbit the sun, every day in fact -
    well i say everyday , i live in scotland so only see the sun occasionally.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    I have seen the earth orbit the sun, every day in fact -
    well i say everyday , i live in scotland so only see the sun occasionally.
    The only place it is possible to see the earth orbit the sun is from deep space.

All you have seen is the sun approach from the east and retreat to the west you interpret that as the earth orbiting the sun because what you have been told/ believe.
    Everyone is free to believe what they want but it doesn't make it so.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by leonatlarge View Post
    The only place it is possible to see the earth orbit the sun is from deep space.
    Yes i know that, i have been there.
    Got some damm good holiday snaps as well.

Dont try and use a guiness surger in Zero G though - help ma bob... still trying to get the beer out of the air purifier and engine throttle controls even now.

Rides
    I have seen discs in the sky rotate about an axis using a telescope with my own eyes. Im sold. Venus and mars are both visible with the right set up.
    Changing of the seasons shows the earth moving around the sun. Daily sun rise is the earth spinning. Tides show the moon moving around the earth.
    The simple answer is always the answer.
    Last edited by snops; 17-03-2017 at 14:44.

Rides
    All you have seen is the sun approach from the east and retreat to the west you interpret that as the earth orbiting the sun because what you have been told/ believe.
    So how do you explain when I am talking to people in Australia, Japan, the Philippines or America and it being a totally different light level and season there than I am experiencing here in sunny Devon, out of interest? I am interested to hear your take on this

Can't tell the difference cleanhands's Avatar
    Rides
    When you say Hen's egg do you mean the animal that laid it or the animal that came out of it?
    Do animals understand the concept of ownership?

Sent from my 5051X using Tapatalk

Rides
    I have been through this already much earlier on in the post un logo as true world map ect. and I'm not prepared to go through it again.
    @ snops are you saying you have seen Venus and Mars orbit the sun from earth ?
    Because you have interpreted a certain light in the sky's motion as an orbit that means the earth must orbit the sun?
    Using that logic :
    I have seen an s14a with 500 bhp so mine must have 500 bhp.
    Everything has been proven on the geocentric model just as it has been proven on the heliocentric model there are hundreds of thousands of videos on YouTube regarding this matter if you are bothered and intererested I suggest you watch some of them.

I can remember when I was six years old and didn't " believe " in Santa I told the other children but they didn't believe me.

One of the teachers parents used to dress up as Santa and we all used to take in turns to sit on his knee when it was my turn I ripped the fake beard off his face and ran off.

Some of the children cried
    Some of the children still believed the real Santa was going to come at Xmas.
    Some of the children could see the conspiracy.
    When the teachers eventually caught up with me I was told off for ruining xmas for the other children.
    People can and will believe what ever they want it is their choice.
    Last edited by leonatlarge; 17-03-2017 at 15:44.

Rides
    Probable, possible my black hen, she lays eggs in the relative when, she doesn't lay eggs in the positive now, because she is unable to postulate how.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Rides
    Videos on youtube to not proof make.

Peer reviewed repeatable research does however lend itself more towards proof.

I believe the saying is:

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.

Or is it:

“The difference between faith and insanity is that faith is the ability to hold firmly to a conclusion that is incompatible with the evidence, whereas insanity is the ability to hold firmly to a conclusion that is incompatible with the evidence.”

Not quite there, maybe it's:

The thing is, it's very dangerous to have a fixed idea. A person with a fixed idea will always find some way of convincing himself in the end that he is right

Getting close with that one I think... Can do better though...

The plural of anecdote is not data.

Hopefully some of the above makes sense.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilchap View Post
    Videos on youtube to not proof make.
    Neither does NASA 'S CGI.

Rides
    This link was on the Daily Mail website it should answer your repetitive questions on the geocentric model it makes a very interesting read ...

http://www.atlanteanconspiracy.com/2...-ball.html?m=1

Rides
    This link was on the Daily Mail website it should answer your repetitive questions on the geocentric model it makes a very interesting read ...

http://www.atlanteanconspiracy.com/2...-ball.html?m=1
    Lets look at an example of this bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Flat earther
    93) The St. George’s Channel between Holyhead and Kingstown Harbor near Dublin is 60 miles across. When half-way across a ferry passenger will notice behind them the light on Holyhead pier as well as in front of them the Poolbeg light in Dublin Bay. The Holyhead Pier light is 44 feet high, while the Poolbeg lighthouse 68 feet, therefore a vessel in the middle of the channel, 30 miles from either side standing on a deck 24 feet above the water, can clearly see both lights. On a ball Earth 25,000 miles in circumference, however, both lights should be hidden well below both horizons by over 300 feet!
    First they have the height of the Holyhead light wrong. It's 69ft.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holyhe...ter_Lighthouse
    But oddly they don't claim to be able to see the Dublin light from Holyhead light. Yet as water finds it own level the 2 are at about the same height and should on a flat earth with a flat sea on a calm night be clearly visible from each other.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poolbeg_Lighthouse

The whole story is based on lies. The Holyhead light can't be seen from mid channel it's Range 14 nautical miles (26 km; 16 mi) is much less than 1/2 channel distance. As the Poolbeg light is very nearly the same height it's range will be about the same. There is a 32 mile gap in between where neither light can be seen.

They claim they can see a red light on the 4 miles long Dublin harbour wall and white light towards Wales. So if you can see a RED light from the deck of boat 24ft up in mid channel what light can you see in Wales? This one, range 28 miles (about 1/2 channel width).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Stack_Lighthouse
    That is 4 miles nearer to Dublin than Holyhead light. The South Stack to Dublin Poolbeg is 60 miles, Poolbeg range 16 miles, South Stack range 28 miles, gap 60 - 28 - 16 = 16 miles. With a low tide giving the lights 5m more height and refraction of light bending it round the Earth's surface this may be possible.

But we also have to ask why they can't see this one, it's a shed load higher up on the headland to the north of Dublin harbour. While Poolbeg is squatting down on the south harbour wall.
    [url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baily_Lighthouse/url]

And then there is issue of the "invisible" Green light on the north harbour wall. If you can see a red harbour light you should be able to see a green one as well.

When you can see red light of Poolbeg from the deck of a boat 24 ft above water level you should be looking at Kish Bank as well. It's on a sand bank 7 miles (11Km) off Dublin, height 102ft (66m) range 31 miles (50 Km). Holyhead, Kish and Dublin are in a direct line. But they don't say nothing about this one either, it's going to be a bit obvious as it will be sat between you and the red Poolbeg light.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kish_Bank

Rides
    To all of you Heliocentric Globe heads :

I have a logical open critically thinking mind do you have two hundred proofs that the world is a globe without using NASA's fake pictures or CGI ?

I wouldn't bother quoting Brian Cox either ; as everytime he speaks I'm waiting for his pance to catch on fire.

Lol

Ex Mod & Crabbit C**t Rubix_Cube's Avatar
    Rides
    To all of you Heliocentric Globe heads :

I have a logical open critically thinking mind do you have two hundred proofs that the world is a globe without using NASA's fake pictures or CGI ?

I wouldn't bother quoting Brian Cox either ; as everytime he speaks I'm waiting for his pance to catch on fire.

Lol
    What about using 2 sticks and some mathematics like Eratosthenes did back in 300BC?

Rides
    Am telling ya i have been into space and seen it with my own eyes, the planets roond.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubix_Cube View Post
    What about using 2 sticks and some mathematics like Eratosthenes did back in 300BC?
    How did he determine what time high noon was ?

For example we have British summer time and GMT so high noon in the present day would be at least an hour out which would give a different angle of elevation of the sun so this experiment seems convinient to me.

Surely high noon is when the sun is at it's highest or directly above as it says on wikpedia so it also seems contradictory.

I also don't have the resources or time to measure the distance of five thousand stadia so unfortunately I won't be able to repeat this experiment for myself.
    Last edited by leonatlarge; 18-03-2017 at 19:51.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Am telling ya i have been into space and seen it with my own eyes, the planets roond.
    OK I believe you I'm no longer sitting on the fence I'm now a Heliocentric Globe head lol