Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Science, Critical Thinking and Scepticism... What do the people of the SXOC think?

Rides
    It's quite well documented and referenced on Wikipedia as it goes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out-of-body_experience

Essentially the consensus as I understand it is that anybody can experience one given the right circumstances. How you interpret it however depends heavily on your beliefs it appears.

Rides
    Since when has anything on Wikipedia been taken as fact?
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Since when has anything on Wikipedia been taken as fact?
    Generally never - but that doesn't mean you can't start there and follow the links back to the original sources and have a read. It's not an unreasonable starting point for many things - as people from all sides of most debates will edit things, and it tends to end up balanced - although obviously not always - and original sources and references are linked so you can draw your own conclusions

Rides
    Always found wookieepedia to be more accurate.

Rides
    It seems people don't really think anymore.

It would be sad if it wasn't so dangerous.

I think this mostly fuels a lot of these subjects, conspiracy theories, religious fanaticism (from all sides), pseudo-legal ideas (legal name fraud).

Extreme views are idiocy/lazy. I think most of it is born from fear, it would be so much nicer if the world was black and white. It's certainly easier to think in such a way. Alas, its more infinite fields of grey, which is probably the most terrifying thought of all.
    Last edited by 59bhp; 07-02-2017 at 14:53.

Rides
    I heard someone on TV espousing the theory that the problem lay in that we have encouraged a culture that suggests everyone has to have an opinion about everything and that puts a massive pressure on some people who feel that they have to have an informed opinion about everything even when it is beyond their cognitive reasoning.

Personally, I have no opinion on that

Rides

Rides
    It'd be a feckin good throw to take 2017 years to come back

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    It'd be a feckin good throw to take 2017 years to come back
    Yeah but he top dog so...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    I have NDEs all time time, mainly when on a major sesh or when there is a wummin bus driver.
    Quote Originally Posted by Francis
    Why are you always on about wummin' Sideways?
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a
    I want to be one
    I'll believe in a 'god' when somebody presents proof that such a thing exists. Until then, I will continue to live my life blissfully without requirement of such a thing. I've survived 45 (well, almost) years on this planet without a god in my life and I don't plan on changing anytime soon. My grandfather is the only member of my close family to have ever believed and that was only right at the end, when he decided to "hedge his bets".

As for 9/11, 2 aeroplanes full of people slammed into the twin towers. A lot of people lost their lives that day and a whole lot more people lost their partners, fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, sons, daughters, aunts, uncles, cousins and friends that day. That's all that anybody should care about. Take your conspiracy theory, shove it up your arse and show some respect.

Vaccinations? Not getting vaccinated is dangerous and bloody stupid. Not only do you put your child's life at risk but you also put other children's lives at risk and I fail to understand why any sane parent would wish harm on their child. I don't have children (I can't bear to even think of bringing a child into this ****ed up world of ours) but I would make damn sure that, if I did, any child of mine would have every injection available.

Homeopathy? Get the f*** out. How anybody can take that seriously completely escapes me. There's a reason why stupid shit isn't handed out by the NHS or real doctors, it's because it's never been proven to work, in real trials with real people. Your own mind is a far more powerful drug than anything homeopathy will offer you.

On the topic of people choosing to believe in Gods, religions etc, I have no problem with them doing so provided they keep it to themselves. Start preaching to me about it and I'll stick my fingers in my ears and hum "la la la la la la la"

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluck View Post
    Homeopathy? Get the f*** out. How anybody can take that seriously completely escapes me. There's a reason why stupid shit isn't handed out by the NHS or real doctors, it's because it's never been proven to work, in real trials with real people. Your own mind is a far more powerful drug than anything homeopathy will offer you.
    Alas it was on the NHS for a while And apparently still is...

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Homeopa...roduction.aspx

Does it work?
    There has been extensive investigation of the effectiveness of homeopathy. There is no good-quality evidence that homeopathy is effective as a treatment for any health condition

And yet...

It is available on the NHS?
    Homeopathy is not available on the NHS in all areas of the country. Two NHS hospitals provide homeopathy, and some GP practices also offer it.

Despite this:

A 2010 House of Commons Science and Technology Committee report on homeopathy said that homeopathic remedies perform no better than placebos, and that the principles on which homeopathy is based are "scientifically implausible". This is also the view of the Chief Medical Officer, Professor Dame Sally Davies.

Either way, Mr Cluck, I like your stance in all areas - it appears to be both reasoned and considered

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluck View Post
    As for 9/11, 2 aeroplanes full of people slammed into the twin towers. A lot of people lost their lives that day and a whole lot more people lost their partners, fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, sons, daughters, aunts, uncles, cousins and friends that day. That's all that anybody should care about. Take your conspiracy theory, shove it up your arse and show some respect.
    woah thats a bit harsh, yes lots of people were murdered but to say it shows a lack of respect when people discuss flaws in the offical story is strange. There are quite of lot of those who lost loved ones involved in these discussions, lots of interviews on youtube ect.

Can't tell the difference cleanhands's Avatar
    Rides
    One of the things that I find weird about the people who say 9/11 was an inside job are all the statements of fact about how a building would react to a plane being flown into it. Do they have access to secret data that the rest of us know nothing about? It's not like it's an everyday occurance.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanhands View Post
    One of the things that I find weird about the people who say 9/11 was an inside job are all the statements of fact about how a building would react to a plane being flown into it. Do they have access to secret data that the rest of us know nothing about? It's not like it's an everyday occurance.
    FSA/FEA simulations can accurately tell you how a building should react in the event of a plane strike.

@Cluck - quality rant there mate ironically, I've found children to be the best cure for worrying about how fcuked up the world is.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Can't tell the difference cleanhands's Avatar
    Rides
    Should have highlighted the word "fact", that's what I was questioning. It's an opinion.

Sent from my 5051X using Tapatalk

Rides
    I have found children to be best kept as far away from me as possible, preferably on another planet.

Lol @ Clucks rant, time for another "trigger"
    "Horoscopes"

...stands by for explosion....

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    I have found children to be best kept as far away from me as possible, preferably on another planet.

Lol @ Clucks rant, time for another "trigger"
    "Horoscopes"

...stands by for explosion....

He's probably a Taurus

Rides
    I recently heard someone say the only thing in this world/life you can be sure of is your own consciousness, your brain only interprets electrical signals, it doesnt see, touch, smell anything, its all electrical signals its recieves and deciphers.

Rides
    In other words "define fact". If it's something you've seen with your own eyes then there aren't many facts and magicians can do magic. If it's a generally held belief then God exists and, 1000 years ago, the world was flat.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sx rider r17t View Post
    I recently heard someone say the only thing in this world/life you can be sure of is your own consciousness, your brain only interprets electrical signals, it doesnt see, touch, smell anything, its all electrical signals its recieves and deciphers.
    In other words what's really reality? Your thumb nail at arms length? Everything else is the brain filling in the gaps based on your past, experience, history and what you have been taught. maybe ghosts can be easily explained for example. Not only do your eyes play tricks and programed from birth to recognise a face but your mind enforce it as it trys to fill in the blanks clouded by over emotions ( it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck therefore it must be a duck) Was it real, or only "real" to that person.