Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Male plug ends for ignition amp plugs

Rides

Male plug ends for ignition amp plugs

Hi guys, ive got vag coil conversion to fit to my car and i dont want to chop the plugs off my loom, i was wondering if anyone knows if there is anywhere i can find male plug ends so i can make a small loom to bypass the ignition amp. or if anyone has a dead ignition amp they could donate to the cause

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyrs View Post
    Hi guys, ive got vag coil conversion to fit to my car and i dont want to chop the plugs off my loom, i was wondering if anyone knows if there is anywhere i can find male plug ends so i can make a small loom to bypass the ignition amp. or if anyone has a dead ignition amp they could donate to the cause
    I spent a good while trying to locate one without success for the same reason

Your options are to beg for a knackered amp and bridge across it.

Or to cut the connectors off the loom and wire it directly.

I wanted to avoid cutting the loom but I reasoned it to myself that there was never a point I would be returning to standard coils so pointless trying to keep the option live.

Rides
    Yeah the only reason I don't want to cut the plugs off is because if i ever decide to sell the car I will most likely put it back to standard

Rides
    Hi Guys,

I am looking to do this. Got all the other bits i need now. This is my only potential stumbling block. Also what resistance wire would i need to use to bridge if using plugs.

I was thinking about using this kit. It has a 4 pin and a 5 pin and i am sure i will use the other stuff at some point for something

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/28219669537

just not sure the holes are big enough?

Rides
    i dont believe the male connectors exist, spent a solid week looking through various catalogues/websites trying to find them. i found the female connectors but not the male. shame because it would be the best option for bypassing the ptu.

Rides
    i have just spent most of the day doing the same with the same results.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    Thanks Ben, at least i know they do exist now lol! but i i really don't want to buy 100 lol!

Rides
    i knew they existed, just couldnt find them. i cut the plugs and soldered them together in the end.

Rides
    Just de-pin it and use a 2 and a 3 if you want to keep it oem looking, takes seconds to swap the pins over...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post

these arent the right ones, the locating lugs are in the wrong place. also the male connectors shown on the page look different. you may be able to shave the locating lugs off those but is it worth buying 100 to try?

Rides
    or you can buy the jumper from wiring specialities in the USA

Its a tad pricey but its easy and means you don't have to gut your amplifier.

http://www.wiringspecialties.com/s13...n-chip-bypass/

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by norfy View Post
    these arent the right ones, the locating lugs are in the wrong place. also the male connectors shown on the page look different. you may be able to shave the locating lugs off those but is it worth buying 100 to try?
    I was looking at that too. Not worth buying 100 lol

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by james2404 View Post
    or you can buy the jumper from wiring specialities in the USA

Its a tad pricey but its easy and means you don't have to gut your amplifier.

http://www.wiringspecialties.com/s13...n-chip-bypass/
    Yeah seen that. I have decided to gut the ignitor, Bridge it and then put it back together. I doubt I will ever go back to stock coils if and when this mod is successful. If I ever did I guess I would take the hit on buying an ignitor then.

I have found second hand good ones ranging from £40-70 quid on here. So they are out there.

£40 quid for a bridging loom that I can make for a few quid by bridging the ignitor or buy a ignitor later if and when needed. The maths speaks for itself.

Gonna make the main loom today as I can do that indoors. Will put up some details once done.

Might pull out the ignitor and bridge it too if I have all the wires I need.

Rides
    the ignitor is full of a jelly like substance which is a nightmare to full remove. i cut the top off of mine, did the bypass soldering and filled it with silicone sealant to protect it. if you get some thin plasticard from a hobby shop or online you can use it to remake the lid that youll cut off the ptu, mine looks almost original and its protected from moisture as well.

Rides
    the ignitor is full of a jelly like substance which is a nightmare to full remove. i cut the top off of mine, did the bypass soldering and filled it with silicone sealant to protect it. if you get some thin plasticard from a hobby shop or online you can use it to remake the lid that youll cut off the ptu, mine looks almost original and its protected from moisture as well.
    Thanks mate. Will give that ago. Just about to hack up the loom now. Ignitor I will do last lol

Rides
    Hey bud, just tried to crack the ignitor open and it don't wanna budge. When you say you cut it open what did you use to do it? Hack saw?

Rides
    And also.. what wire did you use to bridge? 17amp ok?

Rides
    i just used a stanly knife, you can see where the oem plastic glue joins the lid to the body so i cut round that.

17amp wire should be fine

Rides
    i just used a stanly knife, you can see where the oem plastic glue joins the lid to the body so i cut round that.

17amp wire should be fine
    I went a bit crazy and got the dremel out with a cutting blade on it. I went half the way round at and angle (between the metal and the plastic. Then I levered with a screwdriver and it popped off