Thread: Excel

Rides

Excel

Hi.

I really could do with learning Excel, we use excel 2010 at work. Is it something that is pretty easy to learn? Could I do it from books and online help/courses?

Cheers.

Rich.

Rides
    What specifically do you want to be able to do with it?

When I've needed to do new stuff in Excel I've found its best to have a "project" to do and then google things as I go along. More likely to remember it that way than through a course or book I think.

Rides
    Basic use of excel is easy, advance and onwards can be much harder as excel can do an awful lot.

Get yourself on some online MS courses, does your employer have CPD courses they can send you on?

Rides
    It is logical, and does a lot.

You can learn the basics or formulas and such like, then it's just a case of looking up the commands for more posh stuff and following it for much of it.

Once you get into the world of Macros and such like though, if you're wanting to go deep, so to speak, some actual teaching will pay huge dividends!

Rides
    I want it to do things like basic data basing such as price lists, keeping tabs on progression of orders as we make them(sort of like check lists) and pricing tools. Logging data and keeping stuff in groups of similar numbers like drawing/product numbers. Also basic monthly accounts such as incomings and out goings.

Sideways I am the employer in a way and Im trying to modernise things in the office to make life easier rather than have piles of paper every where and not being able to find what you want like the way my Dad does it.

Rides
    Well your in a decent position then as long as your willing to make changes and spend a little cash.

See Microsoft for details on local MS accredited training centres or online material. Also if your not using office 365 for your organisation then i would go over to it, good benefits for mobile / home use.

Rides
    We currently use Excel 2010 so Ill look into 365.

Rides
    You will also want to look into microsoft access for database work as well, both it and excel work well together for a lot of small business applications.

Rides
    this looks alright

Rides
    There are a lot of youtube videos and free guides available online. Excel is an amazingly powerful piece of software, you can build pretty complex databases with excel.

It very much depends on your goals though; if you want to up your skill and put something on your CV, you'll need to take some kind of professional training course, as sideways mentioned you might be able to get this through CPD training. The difficulty would be in identifying a course that suited whatever level you're at.

If you're not so concerned with your CV or you don't have a way of getting the course paid for and don't want to sponge out because car parts are more important, I'd say the best way (at least what worked for me) is to think of what you need to do in excel and then google how to do it and build from there. In my old position I created a spreadsheet to keep track of a group of things I was responsible for (there were a stupid number of them and all with very obscure references).
    They needed updating at regular intervals (some every month, some every 3 months, some every 6 and some every 2 weeks). I listed each individual item and then set up colour codes with red/green/amber for how close to needing updating they were based on the spreadsheet updating to the current day and inputting when they were updated. Google told me most of how to do it with simple formulas. Of course the spreadsheet grew with extra things and separate sheets and became rather complex, but it was a great learning process.

I've actually got a huge book somewhere, if you were interested and willing to pay postage (though that might be a lot) I'd be happy to try and dig it out to send off.

Rides
    If it helps I can send you some templates for basic accounting and basic stock spreadsheets. I do all the admin and accounts for a few companies I help run. Excel is awesome but if you really want to make life easier come year end or quarterly then I'd probably say look into sage one accounting. Very simple and lots of tutorials to help along the way along with tech support to get you up and running. It's web browser based so you can view it anywhere which is always nice. Think it has an app too.
    I can't remember if it's sage one but a lot of the accounting software also has stock control built in.

Sleeps now plzz

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by logik View Post
    There are a lot of youtube videos and free guides available online. Excel is an amazingly powerful piece of software, you can build pretty complex databases with excel.

It very much depends on your goals though; if you want to up your skill and put something on your CV, you'll need to take some kind of professional training course, as sideways mentioned you might be able to get this through CPD training. The difficulty would be in identifying a course that suited whatever level you're at.

If you're not so concerned with your CV or you don't have a way of getting the course paid for and don't want to sponge out because car parts are more important, I'd say the best way (at least what worked for me) is to think of what you need to do in excel and then google how to do it and build from there. In my old position I created a spreadsheet to keep track of a group of things I was responsible for (there were a stupid number of them and all with very obscure references).
    They needed updating at regular intervals (some every month, some every 3 months, some every 6 and some every 2 weeks). I listed each individual item and then set up colour codes with red/green/amber for how close to needing updating they were based on the spreadsheet updating to the current day and inputting when they were updated. Google told me most of how to do it with simple formulas. Of course the spreadsheet grew with extra things and separate sheets and became rather complex, but it was a great learning process.

I've actually got a huge book somewhere, if you were interested and willing to pay postage (though that might be a lot) I'd be happy to try and dig it out to send off.
    Im not bothered about my CV so Im happy not to get any qualifications. Ill have a good think of what I want to do and do some googling and check out YouTube. The book would be awesome if you can find it. Let me know what you would want for it.

Quote Originally Posted by shikari chaos View Post
    If it helps I can send you some templates for basic accounting and basic stock spreadsheets. I do all the admin and accounts for a few companies I help run. Excel is awesome but if you really want to make life easier come year end or quarterly then I'd probably say look into sage one accounting. Very simple and lots of tutorials to help along the way along with tech support to get you up and running. It's web browser based so you can view it anywhere which is always nice. Think it has an app too.
    I can't remember if it's sage one but a lot of the accounting software also has stock control built in.

Sleeps now plzz
    The templates would be awesome. Im sort of winging it at the moment and trying to come with ideas. I need do something though to help keep track of stuff in the office rather than piles of paper every where. We use Sage for the payroll side of things but I want to try and make my life a bit easier and thought Excel is the most versatile and easiest way of doing things.

Quote Originally Posted by sx rider r17t View Post
    this looks alright

Nice one. a good little vid.

Rides
    People like to slate MS office a lot but in reality its bloody brilliant and easily Microsofts best software.

The way the individual apps can integrate with each other is really handy and now with the cloud side its even better, i would never change to a free setup like open office (or libraoffice whatever its called nowadays) - unless i was a home user only wanting occasional office apps.

I also get the whole thing for nowt :-)

Rides
    Which version of Sage do you have?

We use it for accounts... but also stock control, invoicing and all that good stuff. It's really quite good for that sort of thing - allowing you to setup a bill of materials for products for example, so if a product takes 1 nail, 3 screws, and usually wears out 3 hammers, you can make that product on there, and link it to those individual stock items. Then when it sells, basically it pulls the stock from those items. When those items get low it'll tell you, so you can order them and not run out of things.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilchap View Post
    Which version of Sage do you have?

We use it for accounts... but also stock control, invoicing and all that good stuff. It's really quite good for that sort of thing - allowing you to setup a bill of materials for products for example, so if a product takes 1 nail, 3 screws, and usually wears out 3 hammers, you can make that product on there, and link it to those individual stock items. Then when it sells, basically it pulls the stock from those items. When those items get low it'll tell you, so you can order them and not run out of things.
    Ill have to check what we have.