Thread: S13 Strut-to-knuckle bolt specs.

Rides

S13 Strut-to-knuckle bolt specs.

I had a hard time finding any info on this. As im swapping out the front struts it looks like ive gotta snap off the bolts. So looking for replacements was a right pain in the diff. Couldnt find oem used. Couldnt find specs to maybe find something similar in a random hardware shop. Could only find those dodgy looking camber bolts.

I ended up buying 4 nuts and bolts from nissan. Waited a week and cost me the nearly £40.

So instead of everyone having to resort to this, i thought posting up the specs might help. Especially if someone has the ability to make them themselves!

Not sure on the terminology, so if i get something wrong or miss something, let me know.

Bolt length: 70.75mm
    Bolt width: at thread=11.88mm; at shaft=11.10mm; at top of shaft=12mm
    Shaft (?) Length: 59.80mm
    Thick part of shaft length: 11.80mm
    Thread length:~32.50mm
    Thread spacing(?):1mm
    Bolt head:17mm

Last edited by rpsleon; 24-01-2017 at 18:14.

Rides
    I'm fairly certain they're M12 X 1.25 x 60 Grade 8.8 or higher

"Thread spacing" is called pitch you generally need a pitch gauge to check this accurately. I'm pretty sure these Bolts have a pitch of 1.25mm.
    "Shaft (?) length" is usually expressed as the length because bolt head depths vary.
    Blind and shank or often used to describe the non threaded section.

Useful info though fella.
    They can be a bit of a pain to get hold of because M12 with a thread pitch of 1.25 is pretty rare, add the extra length, flanged hex head and options start to get thin on the ground.
    £40 is a bit stiff mind!!

Rides
    I stumbled across a website that sells JIS bolts the other week. They only have a good size selection up to M10 though so wouldn't have helped you here. Trying to find M12 JIS bolts over 50mm is a bit of a pain or expensive.

Almost all of the stuff you can buy here is DIN spec. JIS bolts are usually very fine thread for a given size and a slightly smaller head diameter. A DIN M12 bolt is 1.5 pitch with a 19mm head diameter versus 1.25 and 17mm for a JIS bolt.

Also affectionately known as austerity bolts in some parts of the world because they were a post-war thing to save on metal...

This place sells a good selection up to M10.

http://www.mrmegapack.co.uk/

And there is this place for larger bolts but they are pricey and stainless.

http://www.stainlessautomotivefasten...index&cPath=21