Thread: Rx8 gearbox on CA18

Rides

Rx8 gearbox on CA18

Anyone done this? There are plenty of opportunities to put them on ford and BMW engines so it can't be too difficult?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Rides
    Whats the advantage?

Rides
    Cheaper, newer. 6 speed..

Rides
    The rx8 gearbox is predominantly the same internally as an s15 gear box, which is a lot less hassle than getting an rx8 box to fit.

Rides
    ive been told (not had the opportunity to do it) that a rx8 gearbox uses the same bellhousing fitment as a sr20 so will apparently bolt straight up to a sr. i have no idea if a custom prop or anything else is needed.

BUT, ive been told its not worth bothering with as the rx8 gearset is weaker than the sr gearset, anything above 300hp is damaging point.

this information all came from a trusted source but i say you never know til you do one yourself.

Rides
    is200 1g-fe shares the same gearbox as the s15 spec r but with much stronger internals,
    better quality material gear-set and shot peened gear set with stronger shafts with more load/power capable bearings
    boosted is200s can run 500+ whp and the stock 'box takes it, no idea if the internals from the is200 'box can be swapped into an s15 casing
    but in theory it should ,anyone who tries it should read up on it 1st before they buy two gearbox's and find out it's not doable for some reason
    is200 gearbox's are cheap as they tend to last at high mileage so low demand ,and the spec r 'box reputation to fail makes them cheap imo
    I have not compared the 2 so possible is the is200 input shaft spline wont match the nissan spline pattern? so may need to swap clutch plate
    and same with output spline pattern for the prop
    the gear ratios are different,iirc the is200 has a better set of gear ratio's less gap/rev drop 3rd to 4th and 6th is taller,
    Last edited by ANDY black s13; 24-01-2017 at 14:22.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDY black s13 View Post
    is200 1g-fe shares the same gearbox as the s15 spec r but with much stronger internals,
    better quality material gear-set and shot peened gear set with stronger shafts with more load/power capable bearings
    boosted is200s can run 500+ whp and the stock 'box takes it, no idea if the internals from the is200 'box can be swapped into an s15 casing
    but in theory it should ,anyone who tries it should read up on it 1st before they buy two gearbox's and find out it's not doable for some reason
    is200 gearbox's are cheap as they tend to last at high mileage so low demand ,and the spec r 'box reputation to fail makes them cheap imo
    I have not compared the 2 so possible is the is200 input shaft spline wont match the nissan spline pattern? so may need to swap clutch plate
    and same with output spline pattern for the prop
    the gear ratios are different,iirc the is200 has a better set of gear ratio's less gap/rev drop 3rd to 4th and 6th is taller,
    I would assume that 500whp is with fully forged parts? My brother was looking into turboing his is200 but he found people saying the engines couldn't take much more than stock, and the fact you get 27mpg on a good day with a tail wind and downhill on stock power must mean with 500, it would give an old ferrari a run for its money fuel wise. This combined with the ridiculous throttle lag in the fly by wire throttle...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Rides
    how much power a gearbox can handle depends on the use. ive personally blew up 8 or so CA/SR boxes at around 280hp but I know of people who run them at 450hp with no trouble.

the 6 speed MX5 also uses the 'same' gearbox but different ratios. I heard you can fit a speedo drive to gearboxes that don't have them as standard, by drilling out the casing as fitting the drive gear to the output shaft. I half looked into it but couldn't be bothered to actually do it.

Rides
    yea 500+ is with forged parts(pistons,the rods can take some abuse) the stock engine can take 16psi and last
    my son is more involved with the is200 and tuning them as he owns one atm,
    I'm not sure what power they make when boosted to 16 psi (over 300 iirc)
    but yes fuel economy is not great standard or tuned,it is a thirsty straight 6 like most with same design
    Im not a fan of FBW throttle bodies but my sons is ok in that respect and responds like a cable TB, (he has had a few cars now with both cable + FBW)
    your brother may have a fault somewhere causing the delay/lag to throttle response as I tried the is200 and it was near instant like a cable
    plug into the OBD II port for any codes stored on the ECU,my son has a cheap ebay plug in reader and app on his phone to read his
    and found loads of old codes, imo not a bad car if you can live with the low mpg's
    there was something about swapping the injectors for 12 hole celica/corolla t sport vvl 190 with a slightly less cc flow rate and gain a bit on mpg's
    my son would know more about it though as he's on the forums/facebook and stuff

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13 View Post
    how much power a gearbox can handle depends on the use. ive personally blew up 8 or so CA/SR boxes at around 280hp but I know of people who run them at 450hp with no trouble.

the 6 speed MX5 also uses the 'same' gearbox but different ratios. I heard you can fit a speedo drive to gearboxes that don't have them as standard, by drilling out the casing as fitting the drive gear to the output shaft. I half looked into it but couldn't be bothered to actually do it.
    Agree user abuse causes the failures,holding it on the red bit and side stepping the clutch pedal breaks things fast
    no high rev clutch dump take offs and squeeze the power on and it lasts
    the output shaft gear drive mod is doable but with some time consuming set up,
    not familiar with the mx5 6 speed but it may be same as the spec r and rx8 and not as strong as the better spec'd lexar$e 'box
    so check it out before buying one imo

Rides
    Not quite as simple in my car (kitcar) as space is at a premium. CA/SR boxes are all £200+ and high mileage so the rx8 offered a cheaper, lower mileage alternative.

My box jumps out of first and crunches into 4th so needs some money spending on it or a replacement..

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDY black s13 View Post
    yea 500+ is with forged parts(pistons,the rods can take some abuse) the stock engine can take 16psi and last
    my son is more involved with the is200 and tuning them as he owns one atm,
    I'm not sure what power they make when boosted to 16 psi (over 300 iirc)
    but yes fuel economy is not great standard or tuned,it is a thirsty straight 6 like most with same design
    Im not a fan of FBW throttle bodies but my sons is ok in that respect and responds like a cable TB, (he has had a few cars now with both cable + FBW)
    your brother may have a fault somewhere causing the delay/lag to throttle response as I tried the is200 and it was near instant like a cable
    plug into the OBD II port for any codes stored on the ECU,my son has a cheap ebay plug in reader and app on his phone to read his
    and found loads of old codes, imo not a bad car if you can live with the low mpg's
    there was something about swapping the injectors for 12 hole celica/corolla t sport vvl 190 with a slightly less cc flow rate and gain a bit on mpg's
    my son would know more about it though as he's on the forums/facebook and stuff
    Yeah it is pathetic, my ca18det has an older engine, no vvt, more power stock and no fbw throttle and I can still piss all over it in the mpg front! I don't believe a couple more smaller pistons can cause such a great difference! When he got it, the timing belt was a tooth out on the exhaust cam I believe which threw a code, but I don't think it has any anymore. All the forums say 27 is the max you will get but there was one guy who managed 40.

Although it has a 6 speed, my brother says they are annoying close together, and being in 6th is just like being in 5th in a normal car!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveB666 View Post
    Not quite as simple in my car (kitcar) as space is at a premium. CA/SR boxes are all £200+ and high mileage so the rx8 offered a cheaper, lower mileage alternative.

My box jumps out of first and crunches into 4th so needs some money spending on it or a replacement..

Why has the price of ca boxes shot up so much?! My ca cost me £90! No crunches or whining at all.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by vanepico View Post
    Why has the price of ca boxes shot up so much?! My ca cost me £90! No crunches or whining at all.

Check eBay/these forums. All are £150 minimum, most with 120k miles.

Rides
    I took a punt on mine, the guy even showed me videos of him drifting around london with it! Have no idea what the milage was on it, I span it by hand through all the gears and it was good. Still going strong 4000 miles later

Last edited by vanepico; 24-01-2017 at 15:20.

Rides
    they have got expensive because idiots like me have blew millions of them to pieces, making them rare.

but in my defence idiots like me have made Sbodies cool again and worth triple what most oldskoolers paid in the first place.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13 View Post
    they have got expensive because idiots like me have blew millions of them to pieces, making them rare.

but in my defence idiots like me have made Sbodies cool again and worth triple what most oldskoolers paid in the first place.
    With all the boxes you have blown up over the years, why not just get a quaife internals set for £1300, it would probably have been cheaper!

Rides
    Actually, scratch that, the quaife innards are £3000! Jesus, You'd never get your money back on that!

Rides
    I have a rx8 box I can do some measuring off if someone wants. Drop me a PM. I'm only near it till I go back to uni on Sunday though

I'd be shocked if the bolt layout is the same as a SR but if it is sweet.

As for how much bhp they will take. It's rubbish. With gearbox's it's all down to torque. Also consider what oil you put in and how often. My SR box is going strong touch wood and has done 200k. But I regularly (yearly or 15k which is very very often for a gearbox) service it with high quality oil. It's abused very hard