Thread: Stereo and gauges acting up

Rides

Stereo and gauges acting up

So my 14a has developed this strange problem where the radio comes on and off constantly, whenever I plug my phone in it dies straight away and now recently it doesn't come on at all. I checked the harnesses and they seem to be getting 12v and I've checked all fuses, grounds etc. The gauges suffer the same problem as a previous owner wired power for them into the stereo. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated as it's driving me mad haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Check the ground connection as I'm sure there isn't one in the stock harness so you have to add one in

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by autosri View Post
    Check the ground connection as I'm sure there isn't one in the stock harness so you have to add one in
    I've tried running test grounds straight to the metal bracket where the stereo bolts into, still nothing

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by baileypoole_ View Post
    I've tried running test grounds straight to the metal bracket where the stereo bolts into, still nothing

Would that be the metal brackets that screw to the dash? The original earth for the stereo is through the electric aerial and they're notorious for going wrong. Best to splice into the earth cable and earth it onto the tunnel where the gear gator is. There's 4x 10mm bolts there so you've got plenty choice.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by handsomedez View Post
    Would that be the metal brackets that screw to the dash? The original earth for the stereo is through the electric aerial and they're notorious for going wrong. Best to splice into the earth cable and earth it onto the tunnel where the gear gator is. There's 4x 10mm bolts there so you've got plenty choice.
    Funnily enough I did that after finding out it wasn't grounding properly, still nothing even though I tried using a different harness and head unit. One thing I did find out was the constant is getting mixed volts along different parts of the harness, 7 volts from where the standard harness connects to a aftermarket one, and around 4-3 volts from where the harness connects to the head unit. Can't think of any other reason as to why it won't power up

Rides
    Do you mean you tried earthing it properly to the tunnel? You can't earth it through the stereo mounting brackets because they screw into a plastic dash. Think the top screws might go into the dash bar but I would earth it properly to clean metal on the tunnel before you go any further if you haven't yet.

Rides
    Yeah and i moved the ground to the tunnel and it's earthing properly now, the end of the harness is getting 12v but it still isn't turning on. I know it isn't the actual stereo either as I've tried one which was working fine in my old car.

Rides
    Check all your fuses, and if you've got a multimeter check you're getting 12v on both the red and yellow wires (ignition and constant). Without power on both it won't switch on. There's a fuse for the stereo and there's at least another one that won't give the stereo power if it's blown.

Rides
    All fuses are good but I never knew constant needed 12v mine isn't giving 12v, more like 7v. At least I know what to look into now, cheers fella.