Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Luke's S14a Full Restoration - S14 OOH

Rides
    Wow! What a colour!

I wish I could do half the work you can! Keep it up!

Rides
    With the tubs, the fusebox won't fit where it used to - and I don't think I'd want it in the bay now anyway!

The best place seems to be behind the dash around the passenger airbag area. After unwrapping all the wiring, I've pulled the headlight "fork" all the way back down to the SMJ block, snipping and labelling any wires holding it back. This way, when the fusebox is behind the dash, it already reaches over to the drivers footwell, and now the headlight split off can go out into the drivers wing and matches up with the positioning it used to be at!

I've just got the washer bottle wiring to pull back the other way so it can go into the boot, to extend the few wires I cut, wrap it all up, and figure out how to securely mount what's left of the fusebox! (Along with extending the battery, alternator and and starter motor wiring - but I'd rather have an engine to know the positionings!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Rides
    This is something i literally want to do everytime i pop the bonnet. When you say theres space under the passenger dash area, do you remove the actual airbag to make the space? I just cant see there being enough for that, but i havent looked in that area for awhile.. and are you routing the cables from drivers side to passenger via underneath the dash?

Im just curious for whenever i decide to do this next year!!

EDIT - I see your dash looks to be out. I wonder if it's possible with it still in without being too much of a pain?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeldoz View Post
    This is something i literally want to do everytime i pop the bonnet. When you say theres space under the passenger dash area, do you remove the actual airbag to make the space? I just cant see there being enough for that, but i havent looked in that area for awhile.. and are you routing the cables from drivers side to passenger via underneath the dash?
    Im just curious for whenever i decide to do this next year!!
    EDIT - I see your dash looks to be out. I wonder if it's possible with it still in without being too much of a pain?
    Yeah I'm not putting the passenger airbag back in. It's going to have some sort of bucket seat and harness setup, so the passenger airbag will really be superfluous. Taking the fuse box contents out of the "box" makes it fit in that gap (which I've laid the dash in to test it does), Just need to find a way of mounting it all behind there.

There's not many wires for the front headlights, so I've been pulling it further down the loom, basically routing from passenger dash, down to drivers footwell, and out into the wing there. It lines up pretty well.

Think you'd have to pull the dash out to get all the wires routed, and there's been a lot of laying the loom in place, then taking it back out just to see if I'm along the right track! The dash isn't too tricky to get out though

Rides
    Not too much progress - where the car is stored it absolutely freezing if I'm there any longer than an hour or so, so not had much time on it recently!

I have however got the subframes powder coated, driftworks bushes fitted, and the subframes loosely fitted up to see what the colour looks like with the blue.

Also made more progress on the fuse box relocation; I've stripped out a lot of the wiring that isn't needed, such as the headlight washer wiring and control box, aircon wiring etc. I've found a way to route the loom around the front of the car so it'll be hidden, but thewires that go to the passenger side headlights are a few inches too short - was hoping I'd get away without having to actually extend any wires, but looking like I'll have to!

(The loom isn't staying with the old tape and covers on, I'll redo it all and cover it when I've got it all sorted. The rusty front bumper bar will be sorted too, only fitted it up to mock the headlights!)

Last edited by LukeShepp; 01-01-2019 at 10:46.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Not sure the colour of the driftworks bushes work with the rest of it, have you thought about powerflex black or energy suspension items?
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Not sure the colour of the driftworks bushes work with the rest of it, have you thought about powerflex black or energy suspension items?
    Yeah I have thought that. Didn't realise powerflex did a black series - maybe a lack of searching on my side

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    They’re the race bushes so a bit stiffer than normal, depends what you’re after really I guess.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    All going back together now aye. Interesting to see what you're doing with the wiring loom as it's something I've been going over in my mind. I've also been going over Steve's photo album of the repairs on your car, in preparation of starting on my own car soon enough. I can't decide if seeing it all makes me more nervous or confident haha.

Looking forward to more updates.

Rides
    I hadn't realised how long I'd neglected this thread for! To be honest though not too much has happened over winter, it's been way too cold in the unit to have the motivation go do anything.

Although - circumstances have changed and I need to get the car rolling to get it moved to another unit, so I've been ordering parts and trying to get everything I need to do that!

- BC BR Coilovers, spring rates 10/8 to accommodate the extra weight of the RB.
    - Powder coated black LCAs, knuckles and ARB brackets.
    - Powdercoated white ARBs (I've found out they're whiteline!)
    - New bearings/hubs
    - Driftworks v2 rear adjustable arms
    - Driftworks front tension rods (powdercoated black)
    - Driftworks rear knuckle polys
    - Pro line full braided ABS Delete kit!
    - 4 x New LCA balljoints
    - Hardrace front + rear LCA bushes

Theres a couple of things on back order, like LCA bushes, but they should be here soon

Wiring wise, other than pulling the headlight wiring down the loom, the drivers side needed to be shortened 10 inches or so, and the passenger side needed extending around the same amount. Just got some more to join back up, then to find a way to actually mount the fuse box.

I've pulled more wiring out, practically the whole loom down the passenger side of the car, seeing as it wont be running ABS.

Last edited by LukeShepp; 25-05-2019 at 09:51.

Rides
    Nice collection there mate! Can’t beat powder coated parts.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean-B View Post
    Nice collection there mate! Can’t beat powder coated parts.

Really surprised how well they came out the be fair considering the state they were in before!

Rides
    Good few months since I posted last, just been trying to arrange getting the car moved to another unit.

Progress has been all suspension fitted up, (albeit some with old rusty bolts just to get ot rolling, they'll be replaced).

On it's wheels for the first time in 3 years!

When it arrived at the new unit, I've pulled the steering rack back off, gave it a good clean and a coat of paint - looks so much better now. I've also got myself an electorlytic cleaning and zinc plating setup- just experimenting with the cleaning on random nuts and bolts at the minute but the plan is to mix up the zinc plating solution and make sure everything that goes back on the car is good as new

I'll let the pictures do the talking

Rides
    Great work so far, unbelievable one!
    Now starts the fan part seeing progress of your own hands!

Στάλθηκε από το STF-L09 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Rides
    Steering rack is now sat in place with superpro bushes, and I've moved onto the diff. Split it down ready to clean up and paint, and to switch the core out with the Kaaz 2 way!

Rides
    That is all looking really great, you must be very proud. I remember the feeling when getting my shell back from the painter and it being pristine, following to the underbonnet. It's remarkable.

Lovely colour as well.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeShepp View Post
    Good few months since I posted last, just been trying to arrange getting the car moved to another unit.

Progress has been all suspension fitted up, (albeit some with old rusty bolts just to get ot rolling, they'll be replaced).

On it's wheels for the first time in 3 years!

When it arrived at the new unit, I've pulled the steering rack back off, gave it a good clean and a coat of paint - looks so much better now. I've also got myself an electorlytic cleaning and zinc plating setup- just experimenting with the cleaning on random nuts and bolts at the minute but the plan is to mix up the zinc plating solution and make sure everything that goes back on the car is good as new

I'll let the pictures do the talking

Looks so dam pretty

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

Rides
    Ok so i just read through the whole thread. I take my hat off to you sir. Fantastic build, i really enjoyed the read and seeing the progress.

Really odd as i have just ordered the sill kit off Steve!

Hope to see this updated as you go.

Good luck with the build up

Rides
    Little more progress, but the big news is - I've finally brought an engine RB26 on it's way over from Japan through JDM Garage. Good miles and compression, along with it already being "RWD converted" (modified sump). I'll give it a refresh when it lands, headgasket, studs, all gaskets etc.

Stripped the brake booster down to bare metal, etch primed and painted - needs lacquer still but put it in place to grab a picture.

Kaaz diff is now switched over and installed in the casing, and the casing has had some rust converter treatment pre-painting

Then the sub axles cleaned up, primed & painted, looking loads better! I really need to get myself a blasting cabinet, it takes so long cleaning parts up with a dremel

This wiring seems never ending.... onto the boot now though as that's simple. Stripped off all the crusty old tape, pulled out wiring that's not needed (antenna for example) and have began wrapping it in Tessa loom tape, to see how it comes out.

Dash went back in (unfortunately only for 10 mins!) too, so that I could check the routing of the relocated wiring isn't going to foul on anything. Gave me chance to mark the position the fuse box needs to be too. Just need to find a method to mount the fuse box where the passenger airbag used to go now

Had another play with the zinc plating kit. I was trying out the black passivate before, but it wasn't the black I wanted to be - so binned that and after some trial and error the yellow passivate has come out much better!

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Good choice on the engine