Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Luke's S14a Full Restoration - S14 OOH

Rides
    Awesome work. Im drooling over you patchwork! I have 2 questions for ya, firstly what is the clear material you use for your templates? Secondly how do you get the grove lines in the sheet metal as you did in the rear footwell? Many thanks and please keep on updating!

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Such an awesome job so far.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by gaswizards View Post
    Awesome work. Im drooling over you patchwork! I have 2 questions for ya, firstly what is the clear material you use for your templates? Secondly how do you get the grove lines in the sheet metal as you did in the rear footwell? Many thanks and please keep on updating!

I can't take credit - all the fabrication is being done by Steve Richardson, and tell me about it - amazing work.

The lines are put in panels using a bead roller/swager, and he uses cardboard for some templates, or just a thin cuttable plastic sheet for more tricky parts

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeShepp View Post
    I can't take credit - all the fabrication is being done by Steve Richardson, and tell me about it - amazing work.

The lines are put in panels using a bead roller/swager, and he uses cardboard for some templates, or just a thin cuttable plastic sheet for more tricky parts

Much appreciated

Rides
    Trying to plan ahead a bit, and plus if anything needs cutting up better to do it now.

Anyone that's done an RB26 into a 14 could you give me some advice..

Radiator setup wise - have you used something like the chasebays tucked radiator, had to cut the slam panel to recess a rad, or is there a good amount of room for a rad and fans in the normal location?

Cheers

Rides
    Finishing off the swap of the rear quarter, all welded in and welds ground back down.

Last edited by LukeShepp; 16-04-2018 at 17:56.

Rides
    Switching over to the passenger side, time for the rear tubs!

Unfortunately, more rust has been found behind this rear quarter that's awkward to get to - it will be fixed though!

Last edited by LukeShepp; 16-04-2018 at 17:55.

Rides
    Passenger rear rust repairs on chassis, what a mess it was!

The neatest tub I've seen - no welds visible on the outside lip - shame to cover it up with fiberglass, but the overfender will be on with riv nuts so completely removable

----

Next up should be the flat boot floor Can see the lines on the right hand side of some of the pictures for the level the boot floor will be. The floor will be flat at that line, then a few inches overhang on the rear quarter. Initially was going to cut off the rear quarter behind the wheel level with the boot floor - but Steve is now going to leave an "overhang" on the rear quarter past the floor level - it'll give something for bumper/over fender to rivnut to etc - if I've not explained it well, the pictures will do the explaining when it gets done

Rides
    Great work! The fabrication is top notch, keep up the project

Rides
    I really do like how the rear tub is done!

Onto the boot floor, Steve had to get the bodykit mocked up to know where it sits to know where to cut etc.

There's some work that needs to be done to the kit, over fenders are quite thin, and as you can see from the pictures the bottom right doesn't follow the line of the car and is just flicked out - but pushing the bottom corner in just moves the raised bump up a bit! Nothing there that won't be able to be sorted out though.

Rear bumper is a bit too wide, and the sides aren't the best shape, so they need building up with fiberglass and flatting back to the correct shape.

Front wings however - they're so far off it's unbelievable. Bolt holes don't line up, bottom doesn't line up with the sill in any direction. SO - change of plan. FRP front wings are going back, and we're looking into modifying some standard metal arches wider (and possibly vents - see how that turns out!)

On that note - Anyone got a pair of standard 14a front wings, decent condition going for a good price? Can collect around Lincolnshire or Basingstoke area.

Some pictures - including more rust

Rides
    Jesus. Unbelievable. Im in love.

Rides
    Steve's work is incredible, my rear arches could do with the same treatment. Sadly, I probably couldn't afford it even if I spent all my pennies.

Rides
    Cheers guys

This area where more rust has been found isn't accessible when blasting, best way to get to it is to cut the panel out then replacing later on.

Between all the seams is just rust by the looks of it - a lot of the rear around the chassis legs need to be replaced, so onto the pictures..

Rides
    Opening up the rear right chassis leg even more, and it revealed even more rust. This must have had something to do with the previous accident with it pulling spot welds apart, not being fixed correctly, and then letting in moisture to sit there and rot from the inside out! This was more unforeseen work, which is not ideal for either of us, but Steve cracked on and sorted it to his usual standard!

Last edited by LukeShepp; 16-04-2018 at 17:54.

Rides

Finally, the next step is once again the flat boot floor!
    Steve's shop is overflowing with work again, and due to some more unforeseen work (common theme here!) on another car, he is concentrating on that one for a week or so to get it finished and down to the bodyshop, otherwise it will push mine back further as the r32 needs to go in before mine.

We've a few setbacks - but not far off getting the fabrication work done now. Managed to pick up a pair of metal wings at the weekend ready for them to be modified too

Rides
    So a few weeks since the last update - Steve was busy with some more unexpected work on another customers car that had to go off to the bodyshop.

We're hoping to get mine into paint in September now. A bit behind the initial goal of Spring but there's been setbacks along the way!

Finally onto the flat boot floor, Steve said he'd make it something different - and I never doubted it!

Rides
    That boot floor is a work of art! Unreal craftsmanship, keep up the excellent work

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by gaswizards View Post
    That boot floor is a work of art! Unreal craftsmanship, keep up the excellent work

It definitely is - Can't wait to see it painted

Going to see some paint samples this week, hopefully the colour is like I am expecting!

Finishing touches going onto the boot floor now.

Rides
    Incredible work really enjoying this thread well done

Rides
    Top quality work as usual! Looks like you're getting close now