Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 172

Thread: Luke's S14a Full Restoration - S14 OOH

  1. #61
    Guest
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    150
    Rides
    0
    Following on from the above, is the rear drivers footwell. Alot of this has been cut out as Steve has said the metal is very thin and fatigued





























    Last edited by LukeShepp; 16-04-2018 at 17:58.

  2. #62
    Now with 400bhp....
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South west
    Posts
    35,779
    Rides
    1
    Wow
    South west Events and local meet info. See here


    My car on THRLL: http://thrll.com/car/1998-nissan-200sx-12410
    Chris Cooke Photograpy: https://www.facebook.com/ChrisCookePhotography
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

  3. #63
    Guest Sean-B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    2,391
    Rides
    0
    Very impressive work

  4. #64
    Guest
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    150
    Rides
    0
    Another update - chassis repairs under the drivers rear floor.

    Went down to have a look yesterday afternoon, it is definitely coming on well, but there's still a lot of work! The next few jobs are the big ones; flat boot floor, and rear quarter swap with the rear half cut.

    I'll be going RB26, and need to decide between the low mount stock twin turbos, probably with rebuilt cores - or a big single top mount, opinions?? Initially the goal is 450 - 500bhp, this build is not all about getting as much power as I can - it's a road car and needs to be reliable. Maybe the odd 1/4 mile at pod, but I don't think I dare take it on track!


    The level of detail he goes to still amazes me on this.




















    Last edited by LukeShepp; 16-04-2018 at 17:58.

  5. #65
    Guest
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    150
    Rides
    0
    More work fixing the mess that was the drivers side rear sill/subframe boomerang mount.

    All cut out, parts blasted, and then rebuilt back up making sure the bracket was still lined up.








































    Last edited by LukeShepp; 16-04-2018 at 17:58.

  6. #66
    South West Rep Evilchap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    18,024
    Rides
    0
    Loving the work going into this

    I'd suggest single - less stuff in the engine bay, and a really cool looking big turbo when you open the bonnet

    With modern posh turbos with their billet cores and stuff big singles aren't the laggy things they once were, while still giving nice drama when they come in, in my limited experience.

  7. #67
    Guest
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    150
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilchap View Post
    Loving the work going into this

    I'd suggest single - less stuff in the engine bay, and a really cool looking big turbo when you open the bonnet

    With modern posh turbos with their billet cores and stuff big singles aren't the laggy things they once were, while still giving nice drama when they come in, in my limited experience.
    Cheers!

    Yeah, space, lag and reliability are the main points really


    Next up, drivers side sill (replaced with the panels that Steve makes and sells! )











































    Last edited by LukeShepp; 16-04-2018 at 17:58.

  8. #68
    Dorset & Hants Rep pointz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    southampton
    Posts
    7,452
    Rides
    0
    The work going into this is on another level! Steve's skills are amazing, keep the updates coming

    Just a quick question, what does he spray inside the sills and box sections etc?
    Simply Japanese @ Beaulieu motor museum 28th July
    https://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread....81#post6822081

  9. #69
    Guest
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    150
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pointz View Post
    The work going into this is on another level! Steve's skills are amazing, keep the updates coming

    Just a quick question, what does he spray inside the sills and box sections etc?
    Much more to come!

    He uses zinc weld through primer, with rustisol on the areas needing major protection

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

  10. #70
    Dorset & Hants Rep pointz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    southampton
    Posts
    7,452
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeShepp View Post
    Much more to come!

    He uses zinc weld through primer, with rustisol on the areas needing major protection

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Will he also be using a cavity wax of some sort once finished?

    Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Simply Japanese @ Beaulieu motor museum 28th July
    https://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread....81#post6822081

  11. #71
    Guest
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    150
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pointz View Post
    Will he also be using a cavity wax of some sort once finished?

    Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Will be doing yes - when it is painted and back with me it'll be something that I'll do. Painters have said they don't want it done before spraying as it makes it harder for them, if the wax gets on surfaces that are being sprayed etc.

    Will be using waxoil, put the tub in some warm water then spray it into every hole I can find!

    This is some pictures of the process of cavity waxing on Steve's previous S14 restoration (this is the same white s14 as the pictures I posted a few pages back)









    Last edited by LukeShepp; 16-04-2018 at 17:57.

  12. #72
    Dorset & Hants Rep pointz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    southampton
    Posts
    7,452
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeShepp View Post
    Will be doing yes - when it is painted and back with me it'll be something that I'll do. Painters have said they don't want it done before spraying as it makes it harder for them, if the wax gets on surfaces that are being sprayed etc.

    Will be using waxoil, put the tub in some warm water then spray it into every hole I can find!

    This is some pictures of the process of cavity waxing on Steve's previous S14 restoration (this is the same white s14 as the pictures I posted a few pages back)









    Cheers mate

    Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Simply Japanese @ Beaulieu motor museum 28th July
    https://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread....81#post6822081

  13. #73
    Guest
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    150
    Rides
    0
    Big job now, tackling the accident damage at the rear!

    It's obviously been wrapped around a lamppost (or two..) at some point in its life, and just "fixed" with filler. Pretty bashed up and bent, but repairable!

    The drivers quarter and the rear panel are being swapped over with the ones from the purple half cut we got from the scrap yard. The boot floor will be going flat, so will be coming out too in due course

    (Also a trial fit of a subframe to make sure the front mounts line up)











































    Last edited by LukeShepp; 16-04-2018 at 17:57.

  14. #74
    Member sx rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    2,491
    Rides
    0
    nice work! and now I get what the donner rear end was for

  15. #75
    Guest Zeldoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Eastbourne - East Sussex
    Posts
    1,687
    Rides
    0
    Woah!

  16. #76
    Member CrazySx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Isleworth/Harrow
    Posts
    5,025
    Rides
    0
    That's a serious amount of work.. wow!

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

    CrazySX Cartoonised!

  17. #77
    Guest
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Bielsko-Biała
    Posts
    20
    Rides
    0
    Man, she's going to be a sweet example of an S14!

  18. #78
    Guest
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    150
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sx rider r17t View Post
    nice work! and now I get what the donner rear end was for
    Accident damage was quite bad, made more sense to find a scrapped shell for the panels


    Quote Originally Posted by kubaa View Post
    Man, she's going to be a sweet example of an S14!
    That's what I'm hoping for!




    Interior wise in this, I'll have buckets and harnesses in the front, Steve will be mocking up a removable harness bar.

    In 15/20 years time I don't know what will make these worth money. It could be that having standard interior makes them much more valuable than buckets - so I'm keeping all the standard interior and trim, in the hope it can all go back in if that's what it needs to be worth something in the future. For now though, it's a car to enjoy!

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

  19. #79
    Guest
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    150
    Rides
    0
    There was 2 rust spots behind the rear quarter that were easier to replace with the quarter off - so these were sorted and then the area to be covered up protected:


























    With that done, It was then trying to line up the replacement panels - with the amount that's been cut out, it has took away a lot of the strength from the rear.

    I took down the corner sections of my rear lights for Steve to use getting the gaps on the panels lined up - he used the boot from the donor shell as we know that's straight (looking at how bashed up the quarter was there's no telling if my boot is actually straight!).

    And, well, it's beginning to look like a car again..!































    Last edited by LukeShepp; 16-04-2018 at 17:57.

  20. #80
    Guest Sean-B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    2,391
    Rides
    0
    The most in depth S14 repair I've seen so far. Workmanship is really good.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •