Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kit cars

Rides

Kit cars

Hi.

Ive been offered the chance of possibly getting a kit car to build. Has any one ever owned one of the Seven type kits or something like a Mev or something like the EXO sports car kits? Looking for any ideas on whats good and whats not really.

Cheers.

Rides
    Madda and SuperMonkeyKong and Jon200 and Dan@DBPower and Giblets all have off the top of my head

Rides
    Ive had one for a while and tbh i could have chosen better. Mine is a little too narrow for me and is older technology. Get something that is made using a newer donor like a mx5 with an lsd not a live axle like mine. Im a bit out of the game now so not sure what would be best. Something with the option of a roof would be high up the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Carbs are old tech and are a faff and thirsty. Injection is the way to go.
    Think of how its geared. Light cars a longer first is desirable or else it's never used.
    Live axle is as Jon said is quite old hat now and needs a good set up to get it to work well. Fully independent is the way really you want to go
    Mx5 based stuff is good lots of tuning options and you use alot of the car in the chassis.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Wow, Rory is back
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Wow, Rory is back
    Hello mate.... I am ... lost a bit of car mojo there for a bit what with my kid coming along. Just had to figure it out a bit on where to go to get it back, I ve definitely sussed it out.
    I m more active this year that's for sure. Action day and and llandow is being done, maybe more paying my subs again soon

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Awesome news mate, will catch up elsewhere

As for kit cars, if you plan on using it on the road/track often a decent roof would be a good idea. I know supermonkeykong struggles with the car steaming up in the wet and the roof is poor at best reducing the appeal imo.

If you are a bigger bloke I'd also try a few for fitment, I struggle to fit in most at 6'3 and ~19 stone.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Yeah Im big! 5'10'' and 19 stone! Would prefer something a bit different to the 7 style car tbh. I like the look of the SVE Rocket 2. Newer design, looks a bit roomier and a bit more frame work around you for safety. I like the idea of a turbo'd bike engine, small light and sequential box.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    That sounds fun. Supermonkykongs stylus is bigger than a 7 but still not roomy enough for me to drive saying that I struggle in mx5's too.

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Madda had a MEV Exocet with about 400hp IIRC, it was rather intense to say the least

I had a drive of it at Spa and it made everything else (other than an Aston GT3 car) look stupid, so responsive, so fast and apparently the lower powered ones are still damn quick ......... however he had a lot of electrical issues with it, not sure if that was the car or the build TBH. Sequential box is a must IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    Madda had a MEV Exocet with about 400hp IIRC, it was rather intense to say the least

I had a drive of it at Spa and it made everything else (other than an Aston GT3 car) look stupid, so responsive, so fast and apparently the lower powered ones are still damn quick ......... however he had a lot of electrical issues with it, not sure if that was the car or the build TBH. Sequential box is a must IMO
    I remember seeing a video of him on a track day now I've seen that pic. What engine was in it? I thought it was an mx5 motor. The one Im looking at is similar to the MEV but is mid engined with the motor behind you.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by spice_weazle View Post
    I remember seeing a video of him on a track day now I've seen that pic. What engine was in it? I thought it was an mx5 motor. The one Im looking at is similar to the MEV but is mid engined with the motor behind you.
    Is that the rocket? Those are Focus based I think (predominantly)

Rides
    Yep thats the older one, there is the rocket 2 now. Very similar but a sleeker front end on it. Yes the donor parts are from a mk1 focus. They also do a few bike themed cars too. May go to look at their workshop today as its only 5 mins away from my work.

Flamethrower
    Rides
    Personally if I did it again I would go for a MEV of some sorts, MX5 chassis and a very straight forward build.

Use the standard MX5 engine and when you get used to that and want something faster, then just turbo or super charge it

Rides
    What are people's views on bike engined west fields? Does the lack of torque make it bad on street?

I want to k20 a westy, I actually want to k20 an Elise with exige body but can't afford!

Rides
    Just been to look at the SVE Rocket 2 and Im seriously impressed, pictures dont do it justice. Not the cheapest kit out there but the car is awesome and the kit includes everything from the chassis to a brand new engine and box. Even every nut,bolt and rivet needed is in the kit . The price even includes the cost of the IVA test.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisyboi s14 View Post
    What are people's views on bike engined west fields? Does the lack of torque make it bad on street?

I want to k20 a westy, I actually want to k20 an Elise with exige body but can't afford!
    It's the realiabilty of them that can be an issue.
    Also Think about what you will use it for. If its track days mainly, you will be having amazing fun with a bec. For the road they don't work so well due to how they deliver the power, all top end and at silly rpms.

Rides
    Lack of torque isn't a major issue as they are generally 450-475kgs, but transmission shunt at normal road speeds can be wearing. Fine if a Sunday blaster but slow/medium traffic speeds and they are clunky

Rides
    IMO the MEV2, while its a nice kit, isn't much use as a road car. You end up dressed like a winter biker but without the benefits of a bike.

The Dax Rush is a really nice quality kit if you have good building skills and they'll take a CA or SR (and have a heater) but they're not cheap.

Drop DaveB666 a PM. He's just built a Locost 7 with a (Stage2 I believe) CA in it and he's got loads of track day vids of him humiliating almost everything. It did make me think of building a kit car (for about 2 seconds).

Rides
    I thought Dax were no more Johnny? Used to be in Harlow iirc