Thread: Will the April 2017 VED change effect the S body?

Rides

Will the April 2017 VED change effect the S body?

I had forgotten all about this and i assumed it was just new cars. But is it?
    Theres nothing to say it will effect us from what I've read but it would be quite easy to charge more. Under the new pricing an S14 would be around £1100/yr!
    Thats a shed load of cash to not spend on repairing the roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    What do 2017 road tax changes mean for cars already registered?
    Current road tax bands won’t change for cars that are already registered, so the existing VED bands will remain in place - meaning cars registered before April 2017 will continue to pay the current VED rates even after the new VED bands come into force. Fortunately for owners, the existing rates for CO2 bands are much more favourable to lower-polluting vehicles.

Rides
    Ah i was searching VED. Thank F they aren't changing anything at the mo. Can you imagine paying £1000 for a car you might only use a few times a year!

Rides
    Can I imagine paying £1000 for a car I barely use? Yes.

Can I imagine paying that just in VED, not so much. That would possibly depress me enough to sell the car... or perhaps they could make it actually make sense and calculate it daily - so I can tax it for a weekend say a couple of times a year to drive to a trackday or event, then park up untaxed in my garage? That could work, and daily wouldn't be too bad. Can't see them being that reasonable about it though.

Luckily I am not likely to be buying a new car any time, erm, ever, so it'll be 5 years or more before this effects me, by which time they'll have changed their minds again I have no doubt.

Rides
    A daily/ weekly charge would be amazing or actually tax the person instead. You can after all only drive one car at a time.

Rides
    Taxing the person sounds great, but that's very tricky to police - unless the person carries some kind of tax disc or RFID or something do it can be seen they're taxed while driving for police etc.

Much easier to base it on the number plate - which although not perfect is at least simple.

Rides
    IMO increasing the tax on fuel is the way forwards..pay as you go

Rides
    Everyone that has a driving license pays tax up to a certain value. Fuel would be much easier though.

SXOC Trader - Walton Motorsport walton_motorsport's Avatar
    Rides
    It should be on fuel really, that way all engine sizes are covered easily, I know its not quite the same as emissions but close enough. I have 2 cars both in high tax classes so I pay around £700 a year VED, I can only drive one at a time, and to make it even worse I ride a bicycle to work!

Rides
    you must feel robbed!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by walton_motorsport View Post
    It should be on fuel really, that way all engine sizes are covered easily, I know its not quite the same as emissions but close enough.
    This. Then they could justify the mental fuel costs we have too - which with exchange rates doing what they are... aren't likely to be going down any time soon.

Rides
    I love the fact that within 11 posts we have come to the obvious conclusion to put it in the fuel but the government still haven't.
    They do this in other parts of Europe and it's Effective. I'm sure many of you have been saying this for years, if not a decade or two! I know I have lol
    They're just frightened of the bad headlines.
    Last edited by shikari chaos; 16-01-2017 at 23:03.