Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mint green s14 project build

Rides

Mint green s14 project build

Well here goes, my first ever project car. so ill start from the top, won a s14 rolling shell on ebay with a cheeky bid but it as bare as hell. so that was fully gutted of anything that was in good order an moved on. Then i decided to have a road trip down south to collect the shell im gonna be using for the rebuild. It was an already caged s14a painted mint green. This was a little more substantial as it still had dash, looms and most of the bits an bobs in the engine bay left. Plans atm are to clean all the bay up an give it a lick of paint, clean all undersides up an underseal it. The rear arches have been chopped away by the previous owner so gonna investigate that an make sure its all sealed up. Wanting to do a mild wire tuck on the engine bay and relocate fuse box to passenger foot well as im gonna tub the front arches. Power is hopfully gonna be supplied by an rb but thats last on my list atm. I want the shell completed before the engine gets fitted. Main goal is to get a tidy shell to build upon so see how it goes. Open to all info/advice as this is really my first dealings with silvias and a project of this scale. will try to uploads photos when i pulled em of my phone

adam

Rides
    you are a brave man!many pros and cons to doing things this way,It will inevitably work out more expensive this way but at least you will be able to build the car to your exact spec.What are you intending to use the car for?drift/track or just street?will you be doing the work yourself?good to see some pics to get a better idea of the job!

Rides
    well i wanted something that was my own take. it'll be used drift mostly but depending how legal it end up being will dictate if i bother making it road going. ive tried uploading pictures a few time now an each time it saying error uploading :/ probally me doing something wrong like but gonna have a sit down when i get back an try again. As for the work im gonna give everything a bash my self, a mate is a frabricator/welder by trade so gonna be calling on him to give hand with the welding side but other than that gonna get stuck in. jus the wiring im worried about as its abit of guess work as to whats there an whats needs replacing. gonna have to get some wiring diagrams and sit down once its out car. but atm ive only stripped subframes for powercoating and got 3/4 of bay ready for cleaning and tubbing.

Rides
    to upload pics I think you will prob need a photobucket/imageshack account and upload from there.Sounds like an interesting project.look forward to seeing more...

Rides
    AC5620D1-A5C4-4380-B5A1-8D978AD0D095_zps535vrmah.jpg
    54BF9F4C-13C0-425C-91E3-08246A7BFE2F_zpshr6r7hfv.jpg

And engine bay being striped ready for a good clean up an some tubbed arches
    345CCEFF-9AFD-4B51-9B10-0F8F3AEB28BF_zps0b1ptm8l.jpg

Not really had a lot of time to tinker really with work and such but hoping to get stuck in
    over the Xmas break
    Last edited by adam54; 21-12-2013 at 17:43.

Rides
    Not much progress on car but got some r33 gtst callipers to clean up an paint

photo 3DFAE073-5C9E-4255-9E14-825B2B05217D_zpsig0jzyuq.jpg

Rides
    Looks like the makings of a good project. Cage looks pretty tidy, any idea who made it?

What did you pay, if you don't mind me asking?

Rides
    Hope so mate. Not a clue on the cage or alot of the work really tbh. The respray looks a rather good job aswell tbh jus a few welds on cage im gonna grind back an re do as it doesnt seem to have penetrated as well as id like. Was kinda hoping some one on here would know about more about it as its quite a distinctive car. It was bought from down kent way the caged shell and from the looks has seen a fair bit of action.

Rides
     photo 7F5517E5-464D-482F-B35D-92DD6E29170F_zps1jqi2jsu.jpg

Today's job, loom out for chopping about and extending to relocate fuse box to passenger foot well. So spent all afternoon upside down under dash

Rides
    Love the mint green look and white inside .. Local to me as well

Stu@GarageSR, Aberdeen GarageSR's Avatar
    Rides
    Colour looks like Falken base colour, Cage looks proper....Ex falken UK BDC car?

Clickme

Rides
    Apart from the cage an rear arches shells fairly untouched as far as wiring an dash and front lock wise goes... It's still got not on it until next year....which makes me think it wasn't used to compete with. Still unsure on the colour tbh dunno if I should keep or spray...same with all the subframes dunno what colour to power coat them or paint the engine bay for that matter. Probably decide when I actually go to buy the paint knowing me. Any tips on good quality rust treatment and primers etc would be greatly appreciated as that's next thing on my list.... After all kids Christmas presents now though lol

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Interesting project, keep up the good work
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    managed to get another few hours on shell today, not loads done mostly tiding any parts i had scattered around and organising garage. But managed to get it off the dolly it was sat on an onto some wheels and axel stands to make working abit easier.

got front sub frame and rack off

next job is to start getting giddy with the grinder and cutting arches out to fit the tubbed ones, and while im at it tidy up an area of rust thats just been plated over in the arch an left in the bay

still a bit of a tip though lol good job only me that uses it

Rides
    Right, after a long absence i'd thought id make a start on bringing this thread upto speed as the cars come a along a fair but since i last posted. Some plans have changed some remain. But the ground work is still moving on slowly but surely.

Managed to get hold of a cheap home made roll over frame so got the car on its side

Under side was fully stripped and cleaned back to bare metal. Any welding needed was done and sealed. Then i sprayed it with anti-rust primer ready for underseal.

All under sealed and then started the refit everything. Also sprayed waxoil down all chassis legs and voids on shell. Love how clean a shell looks freshly undersealed

After all that work it was back onto stands right was up. (Any one want the rollover frame let me know can sort something out, helped me out no end) On with the arches and engine bay now

previously mentioned rust patch cut out seal and ready to be filled

Took longer than expect as i got side tracked with the 'little job' a friends stage 3 s14. Decided it wanted to munch on its rocker arms. So spare head off a engine i'd got to rebuild was donated to the cause as its his daily and he wasnt enjoying the commute on his fair weather only road bike lol.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Top work mate, underside looks great now
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    This also happened to 'magically' appear on my drive recently (thats what i told the mrs anyway ) shells had a bump and isnt the cleanest but engines good and strong. Once the engines been 're-homed' all things being well the shell will become a friends project (so mine as well ) and hes already got an RB waiting for it.

Also got a little bit more done on mine, arches cleaned and sealed. Front covered up for spraying. Just debating if i want to go through tubbing front arches. Makes sense while its in this state but its alot of messing

Also made a rather heavy duty battery tray at work while i was bored on nights who says sparkies cant weld
    Last edited by adam54; 21-07-2016 at 22:01.

Rides
    Right next update...

Decided to go all in an tub the arches, but I'd already preped bay for paint so painted it anyway after going mad with the grinder. So here's how it looked after a few coats...

After getting some gas and sheet steel I got stuck into building the tubs, dont think they've gone to bad for first go at this sort of thing...

Just the other side to do now

Rides
    wow this is looking good!!