Thread: Sr20 larger oil filter

Rides

Sr20 larger oil filter

The oil filters I get from my local motor factors seem to get smaller and smaller each time. Has anyone got a part number for a nice large one? I know they are m20 thread.

Rides
    Don't get caught up too much about the size of a filter, it's what's inside and how well it works as a unit that matters. You can have a beercan sized filter, loaded with a basic membrane or poor quality valve and it will be nowhere near as effective as a good quality one half the size. If there is too much membrane inside, the oil can't flow around properly. Too strong or too weak a spring will affect how it works. The membrane has to be aligned properly inside for it to work. Some of them look like a toddler has been let loose with a glue gun inside, again that reduces how effective they are.

I've seen a few filter tests and all of them have been pretty much pointless. In one, a guy cut open about 30 filters and measured the size of the membrane inside, deciding that the more membrane, the better it would be. Yes, too little is no good, but too much can be a problem as well. Also, he had no measure of quality of the membrane, he didn't know what size particles it would let through or if the oil flowed properly. Another one measured how much dirt the filter collected in a period of time and while that seems logical, there was no measure of the oil flow, so you could have a filter that takes out pretty much everything in the oil, but restricts the flow so much that the engine suffers from oil starvation.

Basically, buy a filter from a decent company. Don't get sucked into overpriced ones from tuning companies, they are just relabelled filters from other manufacturers. Don't buy the cheapest one on eBay. We sell over 100000 Mahle filters in a year and have had no quality issues. We also sell the K&N, Nissan, Honda, Subaru and Mitsubishi ones (in much lesser numbers), again with no quality problems at all. Quite often people comment that the one they have bought from us is a lot smaller than the one they had before, but again, no actual problems with the job the filter does.

Cheers

Tim
    Use the code SXOC and get 10% Club Discount
    View Opie Oils Current Offers Here > >
    oilman's website: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/ - register for news and offers
    email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
    phone: 01209 202944

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Interesting post. Cheers
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    I swear by MAHLE filters but nowhere round here seems to stock them anymore so I switched to FRAM or BLUE PRINT but they seemed to have dried up.
    most of the motorfactors round here seem to stock PURFLUX or SOLID ACE stuff so that's all you get, well you maybe lucky and get a MANN.

the purflux ls301 I have here measures in at about 60mm high.

I also have a solid ace n102004 for CA/RB and that's a good 100mm high and 20mm wider.this is the kind of size I want but its the wrong fitment.

my preference for a larger filter is that it just makes it easier to get too for installing /removal. then I figured it was more filtration material/oil capacity.

ive got a brand new engine about to be ran in so 'catching' all the crap floating around in the oil ASAP was my goal.

I see I can get mahle oc195's on ebay for £4.40 delivered which I think is the correct filter so think I may order one off there to see. the purflux cost me £6 something round here.

Rides
    I use genuine Nissan ones from driftworks. 9/10 quid a filter but as I've spent thousands on an engine rebuilt it's silly to skimp on a few quid for a filter

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Rides
    I don't know why everyone isn't using the K&N filter. It's a well known brand and has a nut welded to the top for easy removal. I've been running them for years and always get them from Opie. £6/£10 whatever. It's not a lot of money and how often do you replace one? It's quite important, if you want your motor to last, to invest in quality parts and fluids. Plus I hate having to jam a screwdriver through a tight filter especially on a tricky to reach SR.

I wonder if this "bigger isn't always best" applies to the larger Z32 fuel filter everyone wants to run? I've had no problems whatsoever in 12 years running the stock S14 Nissan one that gets replaced every couple of years.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13 View Post
    I swear by MAHLE filters but nowhere round here seems to stock them anymore so I switched to FRAM or BLUE PRINT but they seemed to have dried up.
    most of the motorfactors round here seem to stock PURFLUX or SOLID ACE stuff so that's all you get, well you maybe lucky and get a MANN.

the purflux ls301 I have here measures in at about 60mm high.

I also have a solid ace n102004 for CA/RB and that's a good 100mm high and 20mm wider.this is the kind of size I want but its the wrong fitment.

my preference for a larger filter is that it just makes it easier to get too for installing /removal. then I figured it was more filtration material/oil capacity.

ive got a brand new engine about to be ran in so 'catching' all the crap floating around in the oil ASAP was my goal.

I see I can get mahle oc195's on ebay for £4.40 delivered which I think is the correct filter so think I may order one off there to see. the purflux cost me £6 something round here.
    If it was me, I'd probably order a few OC195s. One of the most popular filters, but I do get your reasoning for the larger capacity due to running the engine in and ease of fitting, but I don't think it's a necessity, most engines are run in with the standard filter.

As mentioned below, the K&N ones have a nut on them to make them easier to fit.

Cheers

Tim

Stu@GarageSR, Aberdeen GarageSR's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman View Post

Basically, buy a filter from a decent company. Don't get sucked into overpriced ones from tuning companies, they are just relabelled filters from other manufacturers. Don't buy the cheapest one on eBay. We sell over 100000 Mahle filters in a year and have had no quality issues. We also sell the K&N, Nissan, Honda, Subaru and Mitsubishi ones (in much lesser numbers), again with no quality problems at all. Quite often people comment that the one they have bought from us is a lot smaller than the one they had before, but again, no actual problems with the job the filter does.

Cheers

Tim
    ^^What this man says. Have used Mahle OC195 filters in my own silvia's and every silvia I have serviced/built in the last 6-7 years and not once had a single issue. Fancy pink ones are just a gimmick to part a fool from his £20

Clickme

Rides
    im sure as hell not buying a HKS / k+n etc.. oil filter as I know they are just rebranded and not rolled on the thighs of Cuban virgins like the sales pitter patter would have you believe.

It was just a host of idle thoughts.

mr oil man do you know of a mahle filter which is the same fitment as the oc195 but bigger?. I cant seem to search for specifics on the mahle site, so will have to just manually trawl through.

im guessing that min U: is the filtration rating?

this is the oc195
    https://catalog.mahle-aftermarket.co...ml?filterId=21

seems they do the ones with the hex on the rear so you can use a spanner. (I know this is totally the wrong filter)
    https://catalog.mahle-aftermarket.co...filterId=4&d=t

Rides
    ironically the oc194 is weighing in at 20mm longer and the oc196 has the same spec. I will see if I can find one with the hex on the end but its slow trawling and beer O clock so save for another day!..

https://catalog.mahle-aftermarket.co...ilterId=36&d=t
    Last edited by green_rs13; 04-01-2017 at 20:09.

Rides
    Their site is not great for finding things, they just want to recommend the specific filter for a car, so don't want to put in sizes so you can find alternatives.

The OC194 does look promising, it might make sense for you to get a OCS4, which is the tool for taking the filter off. We don't sell that though. I think the U value is the particle size, so it looks like the OCS 4 will take out smaller particles as well. It is listed for a few Nissans as well (mainly with VQ engines, so should be fine with SR).

Cheers

Tim

Rides
    cheers tim, ive got a few oil filter tools so im not really that bothered about that aspect.

I will keep looking and see if I can find one with the hex on the rear like the K+N ones have, but so far only the massive mahle filters seem to have that feature.

Rides
    I use the Bosch ones that are recommended for the S14/200sx. They're indeed reaaally tiny (half the size) compared to the old original Nissan one that came with my car. So far the engine purrs just like it did when i bought it 3yrs ago

Rides
    I seem to remember the old Ford Probe/Mazda MX6 filter being the same diameter but about 25mm longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Buy the tool that slips on the end of filter and has a hex on the end, iv got one, it's a tight fit so stays on the filter until next service.
    Measure and order or ask jj205mi16 as he knows. Think the tool is a honda bike filter size, not sure, makes filter change a doddle.

Rides
    I bought this tool http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-2-Square...kAAOSwZJBX~0SA when every tool i tried (chain, belt, 3 arm) couldn't get the filter off... With this tool, it was a breeze. Just gotta be sure which size u have on your car.

Rides
    Use the oil filter for a Nissan V8. It's about 3/4" longer than the regular filter, but the same thread and diameter.

Standard OEM part number is 65F00, long would be 9E000. Mobile 1 parts are M1-108 standard, M1-110 for the long.