Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: My E30SR project...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_evans View Post
    Thank you :-)

the body work is next years project now, I will be going wide arch and I am thinking Nardo grey or AMG satin grey..
    AMG Satin grey Nardo is overused these days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Do love this car. Is that a new turbo blanket? Did the Forge one fall apart or was it just a bit sh!t?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAKTOOTH View Post
    Do love this car. Is that a new turbo blanket? Did the Forge one fall apart or was it just a bit sh!t?
    Yes gone with the Funk Motorsport one. The Forge one was good but because my manifold is abit awkward it wasn’t the best fitting and I had heard really good reviews with the Funk one so thought I’d try it and to be fair it fits perfect now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rides
    Could under bonnet temps be a result of the map as well, if it's not running as efficiently as it could that could be having an impact on things?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilchap View Post
    Could under bonnet temps be a result of the map as well, if it's not running as efficiently as it could that could be having an impact on things?
    Yeah that's a possibility, in fairness its not as bad now since the new turbo jacket and cutting out the centre of the bonnet seal seems to have helped abit, but I can imagine not being fully mapped is having an effect.

Rides

My E30SR project...

Long overdue update!

Car is still on a base map and if I’m honest I lost the love for it for the last 6 months. Been to busy with everything else.

I finally decided to get my arse in gear and get this car finished!

I did a compression test and found all 4 cylinders reached 175 on 5 rotations but then started dropping down on all cylinders, found to be a faulty compression tester so will get a new one and test again .

Iv just bought new Rocker arms, new lifters & 264 HKS cams 12mm lift. When the car was running on the base map it was quite tappey on the top end so while I was ripping it apart I thought I may as well just get the cams etc.

Anyway removed it all and trying to measure the Shims with the tool I made is turning out to be a huge pain in the ass! Anyone have any other way of doing this to make sure my rocker arm is flat to the cam?

You can see my tool was Zero’d on the guide, moved to the shim, then moved back to the guide and it’s out so it’s not very accurate.

Once this is done it’s off to Tom Hudson

Here’s some pics

Last edited by dan_evans; 17-02-2019 at 14:50.

Rides
    I had a similar problem with my redtop sr20det , the head was rebuilt with new valve guides the valves all lapped in but the engine sounded tappey like . I also decided to change the rocker arms lifters and get them fitted by a reputable mechanic and fit a set of Tomei poncams , after all this it still sounds tappey at the top , would also like to know if poss my noise might have been shims .

Rides
    I find indicator arms in that orientation a pain at the best of times perhaps try to cross them more like in the FSM?

The errors could be in the arms itself but my bet would be the pivot when swinging the arm left to right. Does the vertical post rotate or the bottom piece within the hole? Also the piece that's inserted into the hole is that perfectly round, this could lead to the vertical post not being quite vertical?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by qrty View Post
    I find indicator arms in that orientation a pain at the best of times perhaps try to cross them more like in the FSM?

The errors could be in the arms itself but my bet would be the pivot when swinging the arm left to right. Does the vertical post rotate or the bottom piece within the hole? Also the piece that's inserted into the hole is that perfectly round, this could lead to the vertical post not being quite vertical?
    Going to try that tonight and see about different ways of making it work.

if that still doesn't work then im just going to try and use a magnetised flat dial gauge stand and see what happens

Rides
    Right so finally managed to get the tool to work properly after many attempts....

All shims & guides measure to be exactly at 0.01 +or- which I’m happy with

Got the new cams fitted and all put back together & managed to do a compression test with a proper working gauge and these are the results...

Cylinder 1-

Cylinder 2-

Cylinder 3-

Cylinder 4-

And this is how the engine bay looks

Now time to get booked in with Tom Hudson

Rides
    Looking very nice!!

Rides
    What sort of figures you looking for?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MEL View Post
    What sort of figures you looking for?
    id like to see around 400-450 and maybe get a switchable map for higher if possible.

I want it safe & reliable so im able to put the power down.

Rides
    Awesome news!!! Top end sound any better?

My friend had his fruity Almera mapped by Hudson, would quite like him to map mine.

Rides
    Yeah mate much quieter now, still taps but reading up on these engines they tend to all do that up close.

Yeah iv heard good things about him and he respects everyone’s property so will make sure it’s safe rather than chasing numbers.

Rides
    Not been on here for a while

Car has been kept in storage for a year, so after a years worth of hard saving, I finally bought my first home & can now start getting on with the car

Few things are changing on the car for the better, iv bought a Cd009 box for it so need to get the associated bits to get it fitted, found a company in Birmingham with a billet bellhousing for the S14/Cd009 conversion, so il be buying that & the Gktech shifter kit, propshaft will be a custom job entirely but il be going 1 piece this time.

Had enough of my wiring under the dash, wasn't pretty by any means so iv ordered a E30 conversion loom to SR20 from Wiring Specialties in America, so that should be landing soon, so for the time being iv been tidying all the factory wiring up & making my own switch board ready for various things like Gauges etc

Upgraded the cams to 264 HKS, new genuine lifters & rocker arms also fitted a brand new SSQV

Oil cooler system has had a change as well, i bought a genuine Greddy oil filter housing with built in Stat, changed the lines to Mishimoto along with a Mishimoto oil cooler. Also gave the axles, arms etc a complete overall & fitted H&R anti-roll bars front & rear.

After them bits are on the car & ready, it will be off for mapping where I will probably be told that my wastegate is too small for the turbo setup so il need to upgrade that to a 40mm turbosmart, I will do it but I want the car usable for now, spent far too much for it to sit there in the garage or storage..

Anyways, plenty of updates coming soon, here's a few pics of some changes & current state :-}

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Rides
    This is awesome!